How famous would Opeth be?

Liquid Diamonds said:
....And I think to actually suggest that their popularity would diminish as a result is naive at best.

One of the most uniques traits of Opeth is the vocal mix. If you strip that away yet leave the 10-minute length songs with clean vocals, they'd be even more obscure. The vocal changes are what caught me first with Opeth. Then, once I learned about them, I quickly appreciated the talent they have.

They're not "popular" now, even after releasing an album on Roadrunner. I certainly think taking one feature of the band away without making other changes would make them a lesser band.

Nemesis_lxix said:
I fail to understand what people mean by “progressive” when refearing to Opeth !

"Progressive metal (shortened to prog, or prog metal when differentiating from progressive rock) is a heavy brand of progressive rock which is characterized by the use of complex compositional structures, odd time signatures, and other features"

"Progressive metal could be broken down into countless sub-genres corresponding to certain other styles of music that have influenced progressive metal groups. Two bands that are commonly identified as progressive metal, King's X and Opeth, are at opposite ends of the sonic spectrum to one another. King's X are a group influenced very heavily by softer mainstream rock and grunge, whereas Opeth's growling vocals and ultra heavy guitars usually see them cited as death metal."

Actually, my question was intended to be "How popular Opeth would be if they gave up the death metal vocal style?" This band has the potential to be recognized by the larger music market. They have come a long way with their present style, and I hope they never move in a completely clean vocal direction, but I tend to believe if they did so they could widen their fanbase dramatically. I could be wrong, and their 10 minute song structure would never make mass market radio, but I have watched Opeth's popularity surge over the past six years. A clean vocal Opeth with shorter songs would be climbing up the billboard charts in a hurry in my opinion. Maybe I give the masses too much credit in their musical tastes however...lol.

Keltoi said:
Maybe I give the masses too much credit in their musical tastes however...lol.
you do. most of the dumbass population wants a quick catchy song

I don't think they would be THAT huge, but if they didn't have DM vox, the MAJORITY of people would respond better to their music. To quote my (music lover) father:

'Wow, you know... that band, Opeth, are REALLY great. Excellent songs, and GREAT guitar playing... I just WISH he would stop making that ridiculous noise with his voice. It's awful! I can't stand it!'

While I don't agree.... I think a lot of people would react in this manner.

they would be 25% less popular, con 12 10 mins songs with soft voice??
its death voice give's an extra umm mm Inspiration to listerners
thats what i think xP

The death growls are one of the few aspects left that keep the extreme metal fans (like myself) attracted to this band.

I think we would all agree that the guys are all talented and play their instruments well. I think we all agree that the Ålmighty has the talent and chops to write and play and sing songs that could have mainstream commercial appeal... hence, Opeth has the POTENTIAL to be a "Popular" band.

Opeth is however all about Dynamics and is in fact the central thread that never changes from record to record, label to label, era to era in the bands history... Dynamics. This has only become more apparent in the release of GR as Mike's clean vocal skills have improved dramatically and I would venture to say his confidence in his own vocal skills have given his growls/screams more life, thus creating an even more apparent disparity. This quality in fact is what attracts me most to Opeth and why they hold the position of my all time favorite band. I doubt that Opeth will ever change this quality.

Shit, what was the topic of this thread again?:zombie: