How famous would Opeth be?

Keltoi

Mar 1, 2006
Just hypothetically, if Opeth didn't have any growled or death metal vocals, how popular would they be? I tend to think Opeth would be much more popular if Mikael only used his clean voice. I'm by no means suggesting or hoping that Opeth go that route, I just wonder sometimes how much more popular they would be. We all know how talented and innovative this band is, and they deserve to be recognized for the talent they have. So to those who are worried about Opeth "selling out", just imagine the direction this band could have gone and done extremely well for themselves.

I dont think they would ever have been as sucessful as they have become if they never did the Death Metal side. It's what seperates them from the pack and makes them original..... something nobody has ever heard before.

I still think they would have a following ,but not as big as they currently have.

They might be a little bigger, but they wouldn't be huge because even without growling, the songs are still too heavy and drawn out for the general public.

well... look at how popular damnation is compared to other opeth albums. not much more popular. sure its easily accesible, but its not MTV music.

actually, i think part of the appeal to Opeth would be the death vocals. If you have never heard them, its kinda different when you havent heard that sorta thing before even if its a bit intimidating at first and you possibly shun it. It takes time to like it

To be honest, I doubt it would matter. I think they'de still have the underground fan-base they do now, simply because their songs don't complement mainstream culture. It's the same reason they aren't huge now... Complex, 10 minute plus songs just don't sit well with the average, short, catchy pop songs on the radio today.

i think they would be where porcupine tree are in popularity... 25000 albums sold or something like that...but anyway, as the gentleman above me said...who cares... how popular would britney spears or backstreetboys be WITH growl...think about it

Maybe someone should make a boys band with growls, and call them the backstreet cookie monsters?

HaloPhenomenon said:
i think they would be where porcupine tree are in popularity... 25000 albums sold or something like that...but anyway, as the gentleman above me said...who cares... how popular would britney spears or backstreetboys be WITH growl...think about it
They would be as popular as Otep and The Esoteric respectively, imo.

Well, unless I'm mistaken, the question was 'if they gave up the death vox, would they be more popula'. and not 'if they had never done the death vox at all, would they be more popular'.
I think, without the death vox, the songs would come out differently. And I think to actually suggest that their popularity would diminish as a result is naive at best.