Your thoughts on vocals

about brutal vocals: Nice tips, i sing in a death metal band & i realized only through practise i managed to make my voice not hurt and sound nice.So practice your voice with a mic!!! Don't try to shout (except you wanna sound like LINDBERG from AT THE GATES :kickass: ).Experiment yourself trying using your stomach combined with your breathes.
about Akerfeldt vocals :worship: :Nice voice, he use a lot of "reverb" you can realize it from the long ''SSSSSS" at the end of some words, when he sings.I think he also uses effects like a bit of treble, you know that it sounds like keeping the voice wet. :loco:

You can check my brutals at www.denofdecadence.tk (it's natural with no effects{except a slight of reverb/Happy to see your comments!!!! :wave:

Call me ignorant, but I thought Cattle Decapitation had two vocalists, like Dying Fetus. I was surprised and impressed to see the vocalist pulling off both the growl and the shriek.

Just chipping in to say thanks to thecrimsonchin for his tips on simply using 'vocal fry' style singing at a much lower pitch. Makes growls and general screaming vocals infinitely less harsh on the vocal chords. Cheers! :Spin:

I worked my growls for about 2 years now. It never hurts and its only working to acheive it. Its a methode that you develop by practicing. For exemple....I can do very low growls and growl for a long time and go up to the very high growl tah tis very easy to do (for me ). So you need to push you stomach to growl cause the sound will come out harsher and deeper. One you are able to push in while singimg you need to work different ways to get different sounds. At that point you need to use your throat. Work it up inside and with all together you can start having some fun ( beware...it will hurt at the begining).

oh and work it without a mic at the start..I never use a mic...if you do this you will practice your real voice without any effects..you will eg ta much better and stronger result.

you're going to damage your vocal cords if you experience more than light pain. working without a mic will make you stress your voice. use a mic, but don't misuse it by letting out a pansy growl and then getting it to sound good due to the amplification. if you mic a good growl, it'll sound even sicker then when unmiced.

So I saw this thread yesterday and realized I never posted a sample for leper_Affinity. I went ahead and recorded a minute or so that old mung eater song of Mr. Niel's. The last couple screams are done normally, and the shitty grunt before the last scream is also normal. The rest are done in a "room level" type growl as discussed in this thread. I've definitley had better takes then this with just a normal growl, but I think with practice this could be an invaluable skill. Afterall, I only just learned to do it a few months ago. Sorry for the lateness of my reply :erk:

http://www.sharemation.com/thecrimsonchin/room vocal fun.mp3