Lyrics in metal...who really cares?

Originally posted by Loco Bahamut
I've found that metal bands have had some of the most meaningful lyrics I've ever read (Death for instance),so yes,I do care about them,but music should come first.Afterall,who cares about the lyrics if the music sucks?

Death lyrics are decent, not more...

I am a big fan of lyrics.
I like them combined with good music of course but I think lyrics are an important part of metal,not just something else
the bands I like the most are because they have excellent lyrics ex. death,at the gates,iced earth,BG

Lyrics matter quite a bit I think, since the vocals are another instrument, if it doesn't fit the music/is poorly written it can throw off the whole song.

Besides, music is a form of expression - and bad lyrics only serve to hinder the music's purpose.

Edit - Also listening to music for "just the guitars" is a load of crap. You might as well say you listen to pop music for the hook.

people who don't give a flying fuck about lyrics end up listening to korn and limp bizkit because if you cared you wouldn't listen to those bastards
:lol:

That all depends.... sometimes it's important, other times it's not.

I just don't like really stupid devil worship lyrics.... like the first two Morbid Angel albums are great, but the spells from the Necronimicon, and chants are pretty lame... Might as well sing about the easter bunny for all I'm concerned.

Originally posted by Fervisson
Lyrics mean alot to me, but it really depends on the band.

If its Slayer, I could give two shits about the lyrics. I just dance all over my room and try to sing along.

If its Cannibal Corpse, no I can't get pasted the lyrics. Same with Rhapsody. I can't like a band's music if the lyrics make me laugh. Music and comedy don't belong together.

If its Tool, then yes, the lyrics mean alot. Not more then the music, but they're way up there on the importance scale.

If its Yes or Dream Theater, then I just sing along. As long as it sounds like they're singing about something good then I'm fine with it. I don't really analyze what they say or anything.

With Opeth I don't really care too much about the lyrics while I'm listening, but I usually sit down with each cd booklet and read through the whole thing.. that's when the lyrics mean something. It does make the music better for me too somehow, believe it or not.

Ditto for me.;) :)

dream theater vocals and lyrics suck expept some of sfam and kevin moore lyrics, but who listen to dream theater for vocals or lyrcis almost nobody i'd rather have dt be an instramental band

Imagine a band like Katatonia without the lyrics... surely they're one of the best parts of their songs. They combine with the music to create the imagery of the songs. Personally I find opeths lyrics, beause they are overly poetic and abstract, that they dont stand out so much as someone like Katatonia and are more like another instrument.

i usually don't care about the lyrics at all...if i did i probably wouldn't like most of the bands i listen to now.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
To me - voice is another instrument.

Yesssss! :eek:) I thought I was alone! hehe... ;o)

I do care for single words and sentences in songs, but
never complete texts cause I am not able to inderstand
them. I've never understood what the writer wants me
to feel/understand/whatever. But some words, and
some sentences gives me certain images and feelings,
and that's enough for me :eek:)

I do try learning some lyrics though, cause I love
singing along >:eek:)

Originally posted by xenophobe
I just don't like really stupid devil worship lyrics.... like the first two Morbid Angel albums are great, but the spells from the Necronimicon, and chants are pretty lame... Might as well sing about the easter bunny for all I'm concerned.

I agree with that one
I preffer lyrics that talk about myths,human nature and stuff like that than the ones that are violent and "satanic"

I totally agree with Fervision about that whole ridiculous lyric thing, whenever I listen to Cannibal Corpse I end up laughing (I even laugh when I see the song titles), same with Slayer, Decide, blah, blah, blah. That style bores the hell out of me.

Now (agreeing with Villian) I always think that a major part of what makes Dark Tranquillity so... so... dare I say "godly", is their lyrics! It's icing on the cake. Same goes for many bands.

I like lyrics in music to be subjective...like those of Opeth and much of Tool. Normally if bands try and create a message in their lyrics, its just an attempt to take the focus off how bad their musical ability is.

If I don't like the lyrics, there is not much of a chance for me to like the rest of it. Alot of people tend to complain about Opeth's lyrics, but I really like them. I find them poetic, and elusive. Sure there are a few translation problems, but that is okay. The lyrics seriously got me into them more than the music did.