Opeth Lyrics

InMyKingdomCold

Serenity Painted death
Apr 20, 2002
London
www.geocities.com
Right, the point of this thread is to ask people how they would interpret Opeth's lyrics. I'm pretty bad at understanding lyrics generally, so wondered if anyone could explain the story behind some of the Opeth albums and songs. I roughly know what "Still life" is about, but am a bit hazy on a few of the songs on it. Can anyone help me? :confused:

Alright well MAYH has been gone over a lot. Guy dies, comes back to his girlfriend only to realize she no longer loves him. He tries to kill her but fails. Then he excepts that she'll never love him again. Then he can finnaly go to the afterlife. Morning Rise seems to about people who have died. "Until We Rejoyce In the Medow of the End" Anyways thats about all I'll say, Im sure lots of other people will have things to say

The only Opeth lyrics that actually make quite a bit of sense to me are those on Still Life. I guess I would've never found out about the story behind MAYH if it hadn't been discussed on this board a lot :) About BWP, I remember reading somewhere here a quote from Mikael that said he doesn't really remember himself what exactly he was thinking when he wrote the lyrics... Dirge For November seems to be about suicide; I don't know about the rest... well I interpret Blackwater Park (the song) as some pessimistic view on humanity, but that's about it.

Mike said that alot of BWP is influenced by his disgust with the world and humanity.

"The Night And The Silent Water" is about the death of his grandfather.

"To Bid You Farewell" in is about in mikes words "A girl he was with for 4 years and fucked another guy."

"Black Rose Immortal" Mike has said to be pretty similar to My Arms, Your Hearse only wrapped up into a song.

"Nectar" is about nightmares.

Originally posted by EyeAm
Lyrics should be open to interpretation. They can mean whatever you think they mean.

Although I am aware of that, I'd like to know what the lyrics mean to Mike, and what he felt when he wrote them.
Basically I want to know his interpretation.