The missing sound

a large part of it may also be your equipment. if you have some high-quality speakers or headphones and a good source, these details are much more apparent.

Actually the closest sound ive heard for what your after ken, is the mars volta guitarist. Listen to the picking on that. He sounds very angry when he plays but he is incredibly precise. You can here all the twangs and viscious touches when he wants you to hear them. But as far as metal guitaring goes, i wouldnt reckon you could get that effect. Because its too sludgy to define the high pitched sounds you want for the articulation. But that doesnt mean you cant express it in other ways.

steel102 said:
a large part of it may also be your equipment. if you have some high-quality speakers or headphones and a good source, these details are much more apparent.

Remember though if you want people to hear these sounds its not best to judge it on your own very high class speakers and such as not everyone has these.

Don't you think it would be quite difficult to produce the sound live? I think that massive stacks with raging distortion would eclipse the thin sound of a pick against strings.

If you truly feel that this "the missing sound" is necessary, you might as well only play mic'd acoustic guitars. :Smug:

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot about piezo pickups. You may be able to pick up some of the sound of your picking with them, but there will still be some "missing sound".

slayer - south of heaven

song - south of heaven

part? - the intro

you may not be a slayer fan, but check this out. i was listening to xm radio on direct tv...and this song came on. it sounded like i heard the acoustic pick attack of an electric guitar in the mix with the amplified, and distorted guitar sound. it could have been the bass, but it sounded too delicate to be the bass...then again, it was on my television speakers with the volume fairly low. but, you oughta check this song out. i instantly thought of this thread when i heard it. it might be what you have in mind.

I'm for experimenting with recording techniques. Granted,an electric guitar is what it is. The point is that it sort of becomes something other than its acoustic counterpart. But who's to say that it has to be that way all the time?

Experimentation is fun. George Martin did some cool shit with the Beatles that no one would have ever done traditionally. He stuck a mic way inside the bell of a trumpet, for example. Why would anyone have ever done that before? Recording was about what it capturing a performance. The Beach Boys and Beatles really began to push the envelope of what recording was about. SW did some interesting things for Opeth that you can see on the DVD, and Mike references GM, too.

I might try miking the strings, especially if I was using some sort of amp simulator or if the amp was in a separate room, so I could isolate the sounds on mixdown. It would, at the very least, be a neat effect. You could even put effects on that non-electric track for something really weird.

I think I'm gonna try this. Cool idea, Ken!