the sound

kalikatzaros

ouargh
Dec 21, 2007
Hellas
So I was wondering, if I were to recreate the opeth sound like in BWP, Deliverance, and GR; what would be more important to have: the amps they use or prs guitars? I was always amazed by the sound of their guitars in those 3 albums but both the amps they use and their guitars are too expensive for my pocket. Does the opeth sound mainly come from prs or the amps?

I have Gibson Les Paul Gothic and Marshall MG-DFX50 Amp (You can make with MG-DFX30 or similar amps) and I did Ghost Reveries rhytm guitar tones. GR tones are some mid. So you must have low level "contour", some high level "bass", some little over middle (about 6-7)"gain".. also Deliverance sound as mid as GR but more high gain.. if you wanna full detail about guitar sound I also explain over "Boss GT-8" processor.. but you wanted to know amp and guitar.. and I'm sure the other friends could explain more professional than me because my English not enough to explain :) sorry

Amps are far more important than guitars when it comes to tone.

Guitars 10%
amps 50%
production 40%

Not to be a dick, but the Marshall MG is really not all that great of an amp. It's fizzy, and will never get you anywhere close to any of the better Opeth tones. The Laney GH-100L can be had used for a couple hundred more, and is a much better amp.

IMO, the GT-6 is superior to the 8.

And since Mikael uses the GT-6 it'd come more in handy to get his tone.

But according to my endless searches, the GT-6 is discontinued? Can somebody confirm this?

Also, has anybody played the GT-10? Is it any good?