Opeth guitarrists gear

Yes, thats NOT what opeth do. Keep in mind opeth could use varying equipment or production techniques to tweak the sound and tone of the guitars in the studio. so regardless what amp theyre using, its not going to sound the same as plugging the amp into the wall, then plugging your guitar straight into that.

i didnt say thats what they used, besides i was talking to joe, i wasnt responding to anyone else. You can hear the massive amount of mids in the marshalls they used in the 03 tours.

But ifyou are talking about their live tone, then you're best off getting a decent guitar (like Ibanez or Jackson) and then getting something like the GT-6 or Digitech GNX series multifx pedal. If you take the time to read the manual on these, and you have a decent guitar, you can pull out almost any tone you want out of these things, and then simply use some kind of a tube amp for your power amp, to propel the sound you set. Its what I have now, without the good tube amp, actually a Marshall AVT 150, and Im VERY pleased with the sound, I really couldn't live without my two layers of tone coming from my pedal (GNX) and then levels on my amp. There's my 2c.

Actually, I'm looking for 'the best and most versatile sound' (TM). But, yeah, I agree with most of what was said so far. I'm still looking for my dream setup. The best sound I had so far, was with a v-amp II.

I used to want a PRS just like you, because honestly, my opinion will never change, they are the greatest guitars in terms of playability and sound, but after working your ass off for like 3 months, and then blowing all that on just a guitar, you could get so much more, like a guitar almost as good, great amp, and pedal, etc.

I will work my ass 4 or 5months to have one, I'm sure. But, I'll buy an amp first. I found today 2 great deals: Seymour Duncan JB for 75€ and a Peavey 5150 CAB for 400€. Then I'll work more 2 months for the 5150 II head,

Currently, my gear is a cheap Jackson with headstock reversed and BOSS GX-700 1U Rack (preamp/effects processor, said in reviews to be better than GT-6) directly connected to the soundcard of my CPU (I sold a v-amp II to buy this rack, because it's the same processor used by Carmelo of Novembre, and so far I'm very unhappy with it, but.. I've not a lot of patience to experiment with the millions of possible settings for each effect, then again, I've heard great wonders about this rack to sound like Mesa if placed on the loop of a marshall amp)

Thanks all for responses :)

Ahahaah didn't recognize you with that nickname...

Forget about PRS... grab a new Jackson SL2HT or SL1T :D

So you're not going for that Engl Savage SE anymore? Sounded like a good enough deal... it sure would smoke the 5150II...

morningstar said:
Actually, I'm looking for 'the best and most versatile sound' (TM). But, yeah, I agree with most of what was said so far. I'm still looking for my dream setup. The best sound I had so far, was with a v-amp II.

I will work my ass 4 or 5months to have one, I'm sure. But, I'll buy an amp first. I found today 2 great deals: Seymour Duncan JB for 75€ and a Peavey 5150 CAB for 400€. Then I'll work more 2 months for the 5150 II head,

Currently, my gear is a cheap Jackson with headstock reversed and BOSS GX-700 1U Rack (preamp/effects processor, said in reviews to be better than GT-6) directly connected to the soundcard of my CPU (I sold a v-amp II to buy this rack, because it's the same processor used by Carmelo of Novembre, and so far I'm very unhappy with it, but.. I've not a lot of patience to experiment with the millions of possible settings for each effect, then again, I've heard great wonders about this rack to sound like Mesa if placed on the loop of a marshall amp)

Thanks all for responses :)

First of all, the first post about Opeth's live set up was dead on. Mids are cranked, everything else is zero, and the amp...be it Laney or Marshall or whatever is basically a power amp at that point. Why did they do that? Because the manual for any boss GT processor recommends it as how to get the best sound if you are going Guitar - Processor - Amp. There are other ways to do it, but none of them involve going into the main input and well....i've seen them do it live 3 times now, I saw the amp settings, I saw where the cables go, thats how they do it. Not to mention that someone emailed mike a few years ago and HE said thats how they do it. Yes it does sometimes sound like crap, bands don't always sound perfect live and from my experience it takes a fair bit of tweaking to get it right.

The original poster...well...good luck but personally I think you're going about this completely the wrong way. That GX700 you bought, for starters, is similar guts to a Gt-3, so its NOT as good as a Gt-6, not even close. And if you are running it without a power amp it WILL sound like shit, and if you try to run it like a GT-3/6 it will probably sound like shit. If you want their live sound buy a Laney GH series, then buy a GT-6, then get either a PRS or similar guitar (I use a schecter c-1 classic, same body style same pickups and a lot less $$$), and use the setup I mentioned above. I've done it, it works, although nailing their tone would take way too much tweaking and I just got it as close as I could. Why the GT over the Gx? The gt's have global settings for Amp, power Amp, stack ect ect...makes a huge difference and I don't think the gx has them. Just not meant for that setup.

You will never, and its been said before but you don't get it yet, never nail their live sound with ANYTHING. You can't sit there and copy layered tracking with 3 different amps and studio mixing/effects + amazing production. You're a fool to try. The Peavey might sound close, but they don't use them, I don't know why you would want one to try and copy the sound, and you won't get the clean out of it. 5150 think In Flames, Arch Enemy....melodic death not Opeth. The closest amp, without any effects, that i've heard is...guess what...my Laney GH. Probably not a coincidence there.

If you want versatility AND to sound like Opeth you might as well try that setup, the GT pedals have more options, like i'm sure you noticed from the GX, than you will EVER need. I started out using it because I wanted Opeth's sound, but it's probably impossible to get it right on, but I still use it for the reasons above.

Btw, the ebow "cheat" is, I think, an effect called Slow Gear on the GT's, makes a very long attack/sustain/decay on the note. Could be another one on there that does it too, but thats what I use.

Thanks so very much Fadingessence, I was already thinking about selling my gx-700. I'll wait for my peavey to come! ;) Hopefully, the guys who reviewed the gx-700 on Harmony Central, aren't totally nuts as I thought them to be :lol:. Or I probably will sell it to help in buying a gt-6. Btw, gt-6's directly connected to the soundcard, does sound well. At least, a friend of mine has one and recorded stuff that has a great quality and his setup is pretty simple:

gt-6 -> mixer -> soundcard

Jeremy, hey dude! :headbang: probably will, but not for now, the peavey is cheaper, eventhough I'm very skeptic about peaveys sound. Never liked them but I only used bandit and other similar, yet old, combo versions. When will we schedule a date to test your Engl Blackmore? ;)