They should hitch PRS

I'd be more inclined to think that a majority of their tone comes from the pedalboard they're using (GT-8, or maybe it's the GT-10 now?) as opposed to the guitar that they're using. On digital modelers like the GT-8/GT-10 you could use a guitar made out of plywood and the tone would only differ so much from a guitar like a PRS. Not to mention the amps that they're using too.

It's the GT-10, but I doubt they use it that much in the studio. They use a lot of effects in the studio too, of course, so I too doubt different guitars would make a big change in their tone.

Except for some of the guitars, they're live rig hasn't got anything to do with what you hear on the last few records.

They might use their stuff to monitor the recording performance, but Jens Bogren used mostly Dual Rectifiers for what you hear on the albums. "Ghost Reveries" even has a bit POD mixed in there, but those tracks are fairly low in the mix... He even used Marshall Mode Four cabs on GR IIRC.

So yeah, you're hearing no Boss, Laney whatsoever...

Gear is overrated after all as is sound quality. It's the compositions and skills that matter.

I do agree with you to some extent, although I also feel that decent gear and a good sound can go a long way.

It's always a great feeling listening to a guitar that has a beautiful tone. I've been to several gigs where guitarists or bassists have created gorgeous sounds that simply would not have worked without specific equipment choices.

It goes pretty much hand in hand. You can have the best songs, but a lackluster production will only take you so far... and you could have a stellar production, but if your songs don't cut it, you won't get far either. Sadly, scenario number two will get you further than scenario nr. one nowadays... that's why you see the industry giving birth to one polished turd after the other.

That being said, you can hardly overestimate what people like Fredrik Nordström, Steven Wilson, Andy Sneap and Jens Bogren have done for Opeth, giving them the means to put their ever progressing sound into an ever progressing acoustic garment that does their music justice.... and by doing so, giving them the opportunity to reach an ever growing audience, especially since Still Life/Blackwater Park.

The only difference I can detect (and I have a PRS custom 24 Artist along with 8 other guitars of different pickup couplings and woods) is the HFS pickup is a little high on the treble and can have a nasally sound to it. This can be compensated for a little bit with your processor but it is a different sounding pickup, and really even with your processor I think one can still hear the treble. I happen to like them a lot and wouldnt swap it out. I love my PRS and would probably pay a fair ransom if my PRS was kidnapped!