Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Pierced From Within

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
Which Suffocation album do you think is better, Effigy of the Forgotten or Pierced From Within?

I just mention these two because I own both and I can't really decide between them. Pierced.. seems to be the one more commonly raved about, but I find it a tough decision.

I love Effigy.. and it's sheer aggression and freshness, as well as the great groves and rhythms that I don't really get bored of. However, Pierced.. is I suppose more technical and some of the riff work is so blistering I really can't decide.

No faggots saying "listen to X instead", just argue for one or the other.

Both offer something the other does not. I really enjoy both but I'd go with 'Pierced From Within'. Musically 'Breeding The Spawn' is my favorite but the production sucks.

Effigy of The Forgotten is one of the first hard hitting death metal albums. The delivery of music,song structures,tempo changes was different from anything i've heard around the same time or before. You can tell right off the band is from NY. They are angry about something letting everyday life influence the way they played. They are like fuck I hate day jobs!. I'm sure a lot of people did not like what the band was doing. At the same time people were pissing their pants.

Napalm Death 'Utopia Banished' came out in 92 a year after. Very extreme for the time in a similiar way.

Going against the trend and saying Effigy of the Forgotten. I think both are overrated, but Effigy comes across as being a more genuine sort of album (if that makes any sense). Pierced from Within at times just sounds like it was a little forced, or perhaps even more calculated and as such I struggle to maintain as much interest.

Effigy Of The Forgotten, by FAR. Pierced From Within is insanely overrated, I think - the slow, chunky, breakdown parts really destroy the album for me, and the killer groove that was Effigy's trademark has pretty much been sacrificed in favour of technicality :\

IMO IMO IMO IMO :)

The production on Effigy is better than Pierced, IMO.

Effigy is better, overall, as well...totally kickass early USDM.

I went with Pierced, but I love both of them equally. I just happen to be on a Suffocation kick lately and I have been spinning Pierced on a daily basis, so I voted for the one that I have been obsessed with at the moment. Both of them are essential IN MY OPINION. ;)