Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Papa Josh

Minister of Propaganda
Some of the best news I've heard in awhile.....PRESS RELEASE

August 22nd, 2003

For Immediate Release

SUFFOCATION SIGN TO RELAPSE RECORDS

Relapse Records is proud to announce the signing of death metal legends SUFFOCATION. The band will issue its as-yet-untitled new full length release in Spring 2004.

SUFFOCATION, (Frank Mullen - vocals, Terrance Hobbs - guitar, Guy Marchais - guitar, Josh Barohn - bass, Mike Smith - drums) one of the most influential and emulated bands in the history of extreme music and the pioneers of the now-infamous 'New York death metal sound', return to the Relapse label after releasing the now classic albums Effigy Of The Forgotten (1991), Breeding The Spawn (1993), and Pierced From Within (1995) via Roadrunner Records. SUFFOCATION's debut release -- 1991's seminal Human Waste --was the first CD release in the history of Relapse Records, and the band's signing comes on the eve of the label's thirteenth anniversary. In addition to releasing Human Waste, Relapse also reissued SUFFOCATION's Despise the Sun EP in 2002.

SUFFOCATION, who just headlined the sold-out 2003 installments of the New England Metal and Hardcore Festival, Maryland Deathfest and Milwaukee Metalfest(s), recently unveiled a brand new song, entitled "Deceit". The as-then-unsigned band's video for "Deceit" made its world-premier on FUSE's (formerly Much Music) "Uranium" program this past June and, as a testament to their universally-recognized impact on the genre, the band was profiled on both "Uranium" and MTV2's "Headbanger's Ball" recently without the influence of label backing.

SUFFOCATION will make their only live appearance for the remainder of 2003 on August 30th, when the band will headline the Las Vegas Metalfest. The band will then head into the studio to continue work on their forthcoming full length album.

I originally had bought EFFIGY back in the days when it was origianlly released and thought that the record had bad production and got lost in the sea of death metal bands that were then around.

Rediscovered them recently on mp3.com and completely worshiped the song Bloodchurn there.

Bought PIERCED FROM WITHIN a few months ago and I think it's brilliant as well.

That new song, DECEIT, mentioned above is lacking somehow, in the drumming department mostly (or maybe it's just the mix), but I am looking forward to some new material from these guys.

I know in Europe especially their are hailed as some kind of geniuses.

They are from my neck of the woods here in NYC, so will try to catch them live when they play some local gigs.

I love Suffocation and this is, of course, great news. It's tough for me to pick between Effigy, Breeding, and Pierced, they are all amazing albums. Logic tells me that I should pick Pierced From Within because I think it's their best. But the poll asked for favorite, so I'll have to go with the sentimental pick, Breeding The Spawn. It's the album that truly made me nuts for Suffocation.

Reactions: SonOfNun
Papa Josh said:
I too am torn, between Effigy (intro to band, personally) and Pierced (musically best)... will be listening to them in the next day or so to place my vote.

There's a boxset coming out in Sept with those two in it.

bloodfiredeath said:
The production is a muddy pile of shit, but for some reason, it works perfectly for me on that album.

Don't ask me to explain why... :)

I have cds like that..

Flotsam & Jetsam's "When The Storm Comes Down," anyone??
That album has the WORST sound. Thinner than a pencildick. :tickled:

And I do enjoy Breeding The Spawn, but it's just a big ol' mess of sound.

What is your avatar?

Papa Josh said:
I have cds like that..

Flotsam & Jetsam's "When The Storm Comes Down," anyone??
That album has the WORST sound. Thinner than a pencildick. :tickled:

And I do enjoy Breeding The Spawn, but it's just a big ol' mess of sound.

What is your avatar?

Exactly. I love WTSCD and it very well may be my favorite Flots album, but it sounds like poo.

My avatar is currently the album cover for Ghoul's latest, Maniaxe.

bloodfiredeath said:
Exactly. I love WTSCD and it very well may be my favorite Flots album, but it sounds like poo.

My avatar is currently the album cover for Ghoul's latest, Maniaxe.

Ahhhh.

Now, back on topic, the mighty SUFFOCATION that is, which drummer do you prefer? Original drummer Mike Smith, Pierced drummer Doug (last name not listed on cd), or drumGOD Dave Culross?

Papa Josh said:
Now, back on topic, the mighty SUFFOCATION that is, which drummer do you prefer? Original drummer Mike Smith, Pierced drummer Doug (last name not listed on cd), or drumGOD Dave Culross?

Well... Culross is the best drummer of the lot. He's awesome. Mike Smith is pretty darn good though, and I'll give him the nod because he is pretty much Suffocation's main man. I just wish Doug Cerrito was involved in the new incarnation. Something about it just doesn't seem right...

bloodfiredeath said:
Well... Culross is the best drummer of the lot. He's awesome. Mike Smith is pretty darn good though, and I'll give him the nod because he is pretty much Suffocation's main man. I just wish Doug Cerrito was involved in the new incarnation. Something about it just doesn't seem right...

Well, obviously he's not into doing it right now, as he also recorded the debut Hate Eternal album and was a member and then bailed, just not interested in touring anymore.

The guy that they have is good, he was in Pyrexia, which coincedentally, Suffocation vocalist Frank Mullen filled in for them and vice versa. Kind of family like I guess.

I would've thought this thread would have a lot more posts. I guess this forum hadn't hit it's stride yet. I've been looking for some discussion that contrasts Effigy and Pierced because they get mentioned in the same breath a lot, but they're actually quite different albums.

I would've thought this thread would have a lot more posts. I guess this forum hadn't hit it's stride yet. I've been looking for some discussion that contrasts Effigy and Pierced because they get mentioned in the same breath a lot, but they're actually quite different albums.
Yeah, those were definitely the early days of the site and forum!