EH12AX7 v's JJECC83S (samples inside)

GuitarHack

Krank it UP!
Sep 3, 2006
Victoria, Australia
Some months ago I changed the Pre and Power Tubes in my amp and was wondering what effect the Pre Tubes actually made. Well I had an hour to spare so I thought I would make some quick clips to compare EH12AX7's to JJECC83S. I originally did this for my own amusement/curiosity, not really to post here, but then I thought someone might be interested so I decided to post them so excuse the loose playing. I quickly recorded a quad of DI's and reamped them with the JJ tubes in the amp and swapped the tubes and reamped again with the EH tubes. About 2 mins apart, same amp settings, mic pos'n, etc...

Files 1 and 2 are RAW as recorded, no eq, etc.

Files 3 and 4 are with a basic beat and some quick EQ on the Guitars (same on both samples).

Files 5 and 6 are with a basic beat and some quick EQ/tweaking on the Guitars (same on both samples).

Not too much of a difference, although it is noticeable. I prefer the JJ because they sound tighter and fuller in the lowend where the EH sound a bit mushier overall. Maybe not really worth worrying about though.

I just thought I would share these in case anyone was contemplating changing some pretubes and was curious as to the difference it might make. For me the pretubes made only a small difference but the Power Tubes made a Major difference (going from Sovtek 5881 to JJ6L6GC). Sorry I cannot make a comparo between Power Tubes because I do not want to rebias the amp between making samples, etc...

Amp Settings were (out of 10):

Pres: 4
Sweep: 3
Bass: 5
Mid: 3
Treb: 7
Mast: 2
Gain: 4

OD808 settings were (O'Clock)

OD: 9
Tone: 12
Balance: 3

See what you think.

http://sneapforum.CeltiaProductions.co.uk/GuitarHack/Pretubes/12AX7 V's ECC83s.zip

Any feedback would be cool. :kickass:

JJs are better!! Tight and more lowend as you said.
Now I don't know which tubes I should buy for my savage60...someone tell me that JJs are not the best for engl amps expecially if you put JJ in every slot...
I'm undecided for the power tubes also...JJ E34L or KT77

To me the differences work like this:

EH = more oldschool sounding. more mids that would likely work well in a mix.
JJ = tighter, modern scooped sound. probably not as much prominence in a mix but will give you some good 'djent' action.

EDIT: Just heard the clips with drums... the EHs work better in a full mix it seems. The JJ's get a bit lost.

EH. Warmer.
JJ More aggressive.
I think EH's are easier on ears on the soloed tracks but once in the mix, JJ's will do a better job.

Haha yeah, go figure how that can happen. Like they say I guess one man's trash is another's treasure. Having said all that, I would still prolly get the JJs for my amp because I like that tight sound, and I don't care about the guitars being lost in the mix so much haha.

I like them both but the JJ's I think are a little thicker sounding.

What amp is that, The one in your avatar? I thought they came with 5881 tubes or something... Or is it another amp?

Does it sound that good at band volumes?

yea, thanks GuitarHack... great thread. haven't listened to the clips yet but will do when i'm back home.

i usually went with JJ's just on reputation, and the fact that most of EH's i had tried had seen a lot of hours and weren't new... i might get some EH's the next time i retube my amp.

Personally, I don't like either JJ or EH preamp tubes.

9th gen Shuguangs and Tung Sol's FTW!

Also, in my experience, I've found more tonal change switching preamp tubes than I did power amp tubes (i.e. a 12ax7 for a 12ax7, a 6l6 for a 6l6 among various brands).