Ektomorph - Destroy

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Ektomorph – Destroy
Nuclear Blast – 2004
By Adam McAuley

ekto.jpg

Sometimes I want to avoid obvious comparisons when writing a review like this, but with Eklomorf the similarities are so blatant that they must be mentioned. Destroy is blatant late Max-era Sepultura worship (Chaos A.D. and Roots) and they don’t seem to hold back in that regard. The tribal influences of those two albums also shine through and make for some of the most interesting moments on the disc. The subdued acoustic track “From My Heart” is a good example of this. The remainder of the album is played in the style of the aforementioned albums, but with a decidedly more nu-metal influence in the forefront as well.

I actually haven’t heard any of Max’s Soulfly material, but I imagine they must sound a good deal like Ektomorf. It all adds up to something that is perhaps as exciting as Roots, but far less so than Chaos A.D. and loses steam because of the lack of originality. The most noticeable aspect of the band is the vocals that sound not surprisingly much like those of Max Cavalera and do a fairly decent job complementing the groovy songs contained herein.

Expect catchy shouted chorus’ and the typical head banging riffs of this type of music, but with a tribal flavor that has been done before and much better at that. Without much of a standout characteristic it’s difficult to recommend Ektomof, but they certainly aren’t bad by any means, so if what I’ve described sounds appealing to you, pick the album up.

5.5/10

Official Nuclear Blast website
Official Ektomorf website