Electronic music- Your opinions

Harp Heaven

Culture Vulture
Jun 14, 2002
I`m a big fan of electronic music, from old stuff like Karlheinz Stockhausen, to modern D&B like Squarepusher or Aphex Twin. I also tend to enjoy rave and trance, even poppier trance like Kate Ryan or Scooter. The only electro I don`t like are the hard rave and trance genres, where you just hear the bassdrum and some faint trace of melody or harmony in the background.

Well, I made a cool techno song that's on my website, but I'm not really a big fan.
I do like NIN for some reason. It seems like all these posers are trying to sound like they're angry (Metallica), but when Trent Reznor is singing, I actually believe that he is going to pick up a gun and shoot himself.

I personally love electronic music, get some nerdish prick to programme a computer to put a few beats in sync with bass and some no brainier catchy 4 note riff have some idiot in a bandana rap over it and you have a work of art.

Once again the sarcastic bastard that lives within his risen to the surface, Electra is bullshit, it completely eliminates human touch and is therefore devoid of any creative substance making it completely mechanical and in my opinion unlistenable.

People who think Electra is creative or innovative should be shampooing my crotch. (I stole that one from Jack Nicholson)

There's a lot more to electronic music than a lot of you are thinking. It's a diverse genre... just like metal. A lot of it is crap... but there's some truly good stuff out there performed by talented individuals.

I have a diminishing respect for techno as a whole.

The only subgenres of techno that're worth listening to(in my book) are D&B and trip-hop(more associated with downtempo at the moment).

I like Aphex Twin and Roni Size/Reprazent a lot. As for trip-hop, I miss Sneaker Pimps and Tricky. Dang.

Love electronica! Photek, Goldie, Spring Heel Jack, Rabbit in the Moon, LTJ Bukem, Squarepushers ok, Armand Van Helden, Aphex Twin, Dieselboy, Josh Wink, Icey, Hardware, Holon, AK 1200, Bad Boy Bill, yeah, I like electronica.

ProgMetalFan: you got that right. Too bad it was eclipsed by trance not a few years ago. I've virtually no respect for the latter.

Matter of fact, I'm still holding onto my CDs of Massive Attack, Unkle, Lamb, Sneaker Pimps & Tricky. Someone gave me a Cd of Paul Van Dyk last year, and I sold it so I could buy Symphony X's live album. :lol:

I personally love electronic music, get some nerdish prick to programme a computer to put a few beats in sync with bass and some no brainier catchy 4 note riff have some idiot in a bandana rap over it and you have a work of art.

Once again the sarcastic bastard that lives within his risen to the surface, Electra is bullshit, it completely eliminates human touch and is therefore devoid of any creative substance making it completely mechanical and in my opinion unlistenable.

People who think Electra is creative or innovative should be shampooing my crotch. (I stole that one from Jack Nicholson)
You have no idea of what you are talking about. My guess is that you`ve heard about no electronica outside the mainstream radio, and you sure as hell haven`t tried making some Squarepusher-style drum n bass. Good electronic music outside of the simple downbeat-based rave and trance is by no means easy to do, it involves weaving of sonic textures, programming of synthezisers (which is hard!) .

photek is the shit...some really complicated and ass kicking music there. if you like metal you might like photek

ltj bukem is also very good

and i love dj's like paul van dyk and armin van buuren because of the emotional peak they can bring you to

through an hour of them mixing at a club they go from a simple song..mix it with something equally simple, gradually building up the level, using more complicated parts of songs (most trance songs go from simple with just drums, to a little more complicated, to very complicated) and right when its at the top, the dj puts on the break down- half tempo, no drums, smooth chords on the synth...it is so euphoric and blissful. it is called "uplifting" and that's what it is

sometimes the music can inspire a lot of beauty, and a natural high

evven just a song sometimes...armin van buuren's mix of solid sessions' "janiero" gives me the chills!

Harp Heaven said:
Good electronic music outside of the simple downbeat-based rave and trance is by no means easy to do, it involves weaving of sonic textures, programming of synthezisers (which is hard!) .

Stockhausen wasn't exactly having a field day. He made me respect electronic music.