We can dance if we want to (idm/electronic thread)

spikes77

Jun 6, 2001
Brooklyn, NYC
Alright so this thread will be dedicated to idm/brain dance, electronic music---so if you’re not interested GTTFOORC…and also of this thread. Idm grew out of the rave, techno, acid house electronic scenes of the 80’s, with most of the groups based out of the UK.

I will divide the thread into three parts:

1. Well known idm albums from the mid 90s and early 2000’s. This will be a good starter for people that might want to explore more-or if you already know them, you can contribute with more in this style.

2. Autechre (multiple periods—I will include their early stuff with part 1)

3. More modern idm/glitch albums that I like (this is an ongoing as it’s harder for me to discover this stuff than metal)

Aphex Twin (they have a bunch of albums, probably the most well known group of this style –Their ambient works II and richard d james albums are also popular---this one being their ’95 album I care because you do (see also waxen pith, acrid avid jam shred)

Amon Tobin: Permutation (This one is from a little later on but really well done idm with a bit of breakbeat/jazz influence—definitely a night album) See also tracks escape, people like frank [very dynamic]

Squarepusher: Hard Normal Daddy (an idm classic, probably my favorite of the these first few – flows really well, both melodic and warm but hard hitting—any track is a winner, I like this one:

Phoenecia – brownout (another famous one—this one is a little more abstract and less melodic—more forward thinking than others but it’s also from 2001-

Autechre started off playing this style with their first two albums (incunabula and amber). They also released two hours of unreleased material as Warp Tapes 89-93 a few years ago which was essentially even more melodic idm, different than their first two---also good. Like if darkthone had written and recorded an album between soulside and blaze and just released it in 2019---s

Incunabula

Amber (see also Piezo, teartear)

Warp Tapes

i know shit about this stuff, but Death Comes Crawling makes me want to shake my rump and show off my big dick energy.

it's basically Dis Pater (he of Midnight Odyssey) ripping off Depeche Mode

Reactions: Reign in Acai
Good thread, this is a genre I'm probably interested in exploring in the coming years, once I figure out where to start. I dig Autechre, Aphex Twin and Amon Tobin in moderate intake and definitely need to purchase some of their key albums.

Though marginally danceable (I guess), I love Salaryman's self-titled album from 1997, some sort of laid-back yet cold/dystopian electro with some guitars.

Recently, I've gotten into Signal~Bruit and Novocibirsk, two very nice atmospheric IDM projects released by young French label Production B. Perfect music for scenic drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: spikes77
This is one of the few genres (and ambient) that I haven't really delved into much. I am a big fan of Boards of Canada if they qualify.

Boards of Canada definitely count as idm (especially their music has the right to children)—I don’t know their other albums as much, but that one is melodic idm with an emphasis on ambience. If you like boards of Canada, I think the Tri repetae, Chiastic slide (and their ep’s) , and LP5 might be a good start from the mid period. And also the Quaristice and Oversteps albums which are more melodic and ambient sounding but with the intricacies of the mid period-

long post ahead :heh:
---

I divide autechre into roughly four periods. Keep in mind these are only the full lengths—they also have a few releases that are considered “ep’s” but full length in duration, and called ep’s because they’re usually extensions/modifications of the albums that preceded them —their compilation of eps 1991-2011 is essential for this reason—and I think some of them are good introductions to the particular periods.

Early period (see previous post) – Amber/ Insuambla
Mid period: (their “golden era” 1995-2005) – Tri repetae, Chiastic Slide, LP5, Confield, Draft 7.30, Untitled
Late mid period (2008-2010) - Quaristice, Oversteps
Late period (2013-present) Both elseq albums and NRS sessions total over 10 hours of music--
Exai, Elseq 1-5, NTS session 1-4

Mid period: (their “golden era” 1995-2005) – Tri repetae, Chiastic Slide, LP5, Confield, Draft 7.30, Untitled. EP's: Envanem, Cichlisuite, EP7

I would say for the more abstract autechre material in this era—everything chiastic slide, it’s very much like listening to some jazz or noise genres, that do not have a lot of rhythm or it’s buried or incorporated over other sounds—sometimes sounding very chaotic. There’s a heavy emphasis on percussion and sharp jagged beat work, but can also have moments of space and warm synth sounds. Like jazz, there’s a lot of restraint and rise/fall within individual tracks and sometimes after a certain beat evolves for a few minutes things just kind of crash into itself and might pop up again later on.

I particularly like this period because I’m always discovering new sounds I didn’t’ notice—even after listening for years. There’s also parts that are certainly hip hop influenced but sometimes obscured sometimes more in the open.

Some of it does sound cold/synthetic, like the robots and making dance music for their positronic brains but there’s always some memories of their original human programing that gurgle through time-

Tri repetae (clipper, leteral, rsdio [a nice slow build up]

The first album where they start coming into their own---still accessible and melodic but you can see the complexity creeping in here—it still sounds like techno, for newcomers that want to dip their feet into some autechre —this is a good start-

Chiastic slide [cipater, cichli, ]

Now things have taken a bit of a turn, while the beats/percussion are getting a bit more frantic, there is a bit of an ambience at the same time. There’s more space but also more caustic jagged parts within the same track-this album works great in the rain/snow – There is still a playfulness here, the robots have left earth with some humans, and are still playing within the confines/memories of what electronic music was for humans-

EPS: Both Cichlisuite and Envane EP’s are also really strong, have similar vibes to Chiastic slide, maybe more glitch based but melodic with some percussion complexity. (

LP5 (Acroyear2, 777 Rae, Under BOAC ---every track is a highlight)

There’s still some semblance of melody and warm synths, but they’re often working side by side with a more percussion heavy focus and the transition to the more complex/abstract sounds of the next few releases becomes apparent. The songs on Chiastic slide had more straightforward progressions within songs this is more has more abrupt changes within individual tracks. A track like 777 reminds me of like an old sega genesis game deconstructed and infused with more layers—I can streets of rage to this- Rae has warm melodies under a continuing beat that evolves throughout the track (beautiful)

Confield (parthetic triangle, lentic catat--pretty much every track)

The robots have now left the humans behind (or killed them), although they still remember-the first album that is more ‘cold’ sounding, although there are warm tones that pop up here and there (cfern)-there’s less rhythm that might have occasionally popped up in the previous two albums-

Draft 7.30 (see P.:NTIL, VPROC)
That one robot found some hip hop records from the 80’s and 90’s and have filtered it through the music they’re now making. Vestiges of past humanity pop up here and there, but they’re making music on their own now-

Love how this track evolves over the duration

Unititled (ipacial, pro radii (sounds jazz influenced percussion heavy, restraint ), augmatic disport)

Just love the way this track builds and coalesces with that melody seeping into the background through until the outro-

Should be a good start :D will post mid late period / late period later- (still going through this period myself)

This thread got buried before I could contribute and check out everything.

I am very, very, very bad about the subgenre delineations of electronica/IDM/EBM/etc. but here are the Things that I love:

This entire album rules, and well let's face it even the worst Skinny Puppy album is still pretty great, but this song right here is some Top Shelf material.

Also a huge fan of this one, although seeing them perform this live almost ruins the studio experience. They typically use a live drummer which just......be still my heart.

This double album was my soundtrack to college, and this might be my favoUrite song. When I wasn't listening to Type O Negative or Cradle of Filth back in 1999, I was listening to The Future Sound of London. I used to hunt down their albums in music stores and go on eBay bidding wars, the days of pure obsession.

One more from FSOL because they are just too gorram amazing. I wanted to be this song at one point in life.

This was the song that got me into electronic music. Thank you, Wipeout XL. I grew up on Psygnosis games and the music of those could be an entire other thread..............lookin' at you, spikes and phyre.

Classic song from a classic album. I put this on when I want my wife to get horny. Guitar rock for gothic synth '90s kids. Yes I is.

Laibach was a rite of passage band I saw live. First half was all moody introspective political stuff. Second half was four-on-the-floor get up and MOVE DAT BOOTY like this one.

Been listening to this group since before I grew pubes. I have three versions of this album, that's how much I love them.

Again, I am bad at the subgenre crap with electronic stuff so anyone cruising by wanting to play that game, you win. "It's not hip hop, it's electro!"

Last edited:
Reactions: spikes77
Double post. Moar poap.

The first Imperative Reaction album is glorious. Later stuff is fun too, but the first forgotten one is the real shit before things went downhill/pop from there. Highly recommended.

This song gives me a frozen tendril erection. Die Form are weird and also good.

RE: Boards of Canada. I started with Music Has the Right to Children like many and sure that is all well and good. But dudes, Geogaddi is lightyears beyond that album.

Front Line Assembly is the only band besides Skinny Puppy that I keep up with in this realm. I love all their eras to some extent, but anything off this album is the Peak for me.

Fuck. Yes. Nitzer Ebb will move you, by force if necesssary. Are you dancing? No? Then you are DEAD!

Last edited:
Reactions: Krilons Resa
Some good posts there NAD---can't go wrong with the skinny puppy and FSOL (although a little 'safe' in terms of electronic) I have not heard that Die Form--sounds weird (good). Some good dancey industrial in there too--

Doomcifer what say you on the autechre--?! Do you want me to post the late period material in the next few weeks?