Ellefson back in Megadeth!

Great news! At least now Megadeth will be more of a "band" instead of just having Dave and some session musicians (which is how it's been for the last few years). Now if only they could get Nick Menza (drums) back.

As thrilled as I am to have David back in the fold...this just proves what kind of a jerk Dave is. After you took the guy to trial, said all of the bad things he said about the guy, got James and seemed to be moving along just fine...on a whim let me bring Ellefson back. This proves the power and forgiveness and brotherly love. Yeah right. James...thanks for being there when I needed you but you know where the door is.:yuk:

"Great news! At least now Megadeth will be more of a "band" instead of just having Dave and some session musicians."

Newsflash...this has never been a band...it's Dave's project and everyone is along for the ride. David should have never left Megadeth but I feel this was the wrong way to go about it. On a side note, it takes two to tango:mad:

After you took the guy to trial, said all of the bad things he said about the guy, got James and seemed to be moving along just fine...on a whim let me bring Ellefson back.

Newsflash...this has never been a band...it's Dave's project and everyone is along for the ride.

On a side note, it takes two to tango:mad:

I guess you edited this after we talked on the phone :lol:, you steal my it needs two to dance line :p

I do dig Junior back in the band, and yes I don't like the way the Lomenzo thing has been handled. But yes this is Dave Mustaine brainchild, and even if the longest running line-up made 4 albums, still the revolving door was never locked.

And before some Mustaine bashing mosh starts here remember all the things Ellefson said in due time, he's not a saint either. So now is all water under the bridge? :Smug: Yes indeed you need two to tango.

So please people keep the shooting well aimed, I don't want friendly fire casualties among the regulars specially, thanks for helping :kickass:

I don't like this one bit. Lomenzo was nothing but professional since joining and I'm SURE this was handled poorly.

Good bass player, yes, but I don't think Ellefson is some god-like talent where this was a necessity.

I don't like this one bit. Lomenzo was nothing but professional since joining and I'm SURE this was handled poorly.

Good bass player, yes, but I don't think Ellefson is some god-like talent where this was a necessity.

+1.

James is an incredible bassist and he just got fucked Tim Owens style. For my money, Megadeth finally seemed like a band again - much more than in the early 2000s. When I saw them with Glen on guitar a few years ago, they had their shit together and kicked some serious ass. Even on the Blood in the Water DVD they look like a unit and seem to be having fun.

I guess we'll see how long this lasts... Personally, I'd love to hear some of the new material on tour (ie. UA and EG) rather than the classic stuff which has been played to deth.

Ellefson most certainly belongs in Megadeth, he is part of the original lineup. Smooth move by Mustaine. James will easily find gigs elsewhere, and I think he kind of stuck out like a sore thumb in Megadeth tho.

Never expected this in a million years. As to James, while I doubt it, he may have decided to leave on his own...prompting this move. Further, I don't think any of the hired-gun members of Megadeth are making big dollars, so it's not like he's losing much more than his hired-gun status.

Also, I believe Ellefson was the one who sued Dave....Dave countersued, and won. Not defending Dave, but there must have been little merit to Ellefson's case, and moreover I think Mustatine actually won a settlement...if I remember right. Meaning, I don't think he dragged him through court...rather, he won the case brought against him.

Overall...very interesting news. I'm about as shocked as I was when Sabbath first anounced the reunion (of late) with RJD - just plain didn't see it coming.

Ex-members never learn... you get dicked in the ass once... it will happen again... though now that he is back in the band I hope Mustaine let's him contribute to the songwriting because if not then Junior is just another session player...

Ellefsson said James was leaving Megadeth and that current drummer Shawn Drover texted him and said he should get back in contact with Mustaine. So maybe it was a case of James leaving the band and not getting screwed over.

Its nice to see Elleffson back in any case. He was very stable as the backbone of Megadeth. I do feel the current line-up needs a different drummer though. Shawn is a nice guy (met him backstage) but his drumming, especially on endgame, is so uninspired. A shame because Megadeth is my favorite band.

I'm with the consensus that it's a bittersweet reunion. It's cool to see Jr. back in but at the expense of James' departure. I'm certainly interested to hear the details on how this came about. Going to try to see them with Testament next month...

I do feel the current line-up needs a different drummer though. Shawn is a nice guy (met him backstage) but his drumming, especially on endgame, is so uninspired. A shame because Megadeth is my favorite band.

Complete 180 for me. I've never understood this idea of "uninspired playing" - especially when it comes to drums. Is he keeping a solid beat? Fit the song? Good! Let the guitarist and singer perform "inspired". :)

In many of these new songs, Neil Peart or Mark Zonder's style of drumming just doesn't fit.

I've always thought Shawn to be a fantastic drummer and on the Blood in the Water DVD for example, he's solid as hell.

In many of these new songs, Neil Peart or Mark Zonder's style of drumming just doesn't fit.

Agree, just because you're a great player doesn't mean you will fit in any possible type of band or genre.

Besides I believe the success of "Endgame" was beyond composition, was about the chemistry the band HAD at the time, the players were doing their best altogether to a single goal: Lomenzo, Drover, Broderick and Mustaine. But Dave obviously can't see the pot of gold even if he's at the end of the rainbow.

Time will tell, best luck for James and for the Daves.

I'm with the consensus that it's a bittersweet reunion. It's cool to see Jr. back in but at the expense of James' departure.

Yes, you did summarize it pretty well.

Complete 180 for me. I've never understood this idea of "uninspired playing" - especially when it comes to drums. Is he keeping a solid beat? Fit the song? Good! Let the guitarist and singer perform "inspired". :)

I've always thought Shawn to be a fantastic drummer and on the Blood in the Water DVD for example, he's solid as hell.

I never noticed it on United Abominations but on Endgame I dont think his drumming is interesting enough. Its not varied which to me makes the songs a bit more boring than they could have been. Some of the best instrumentation on a megadeth album is actually The System Has Failed - but of course that album was recorded with a seriously competent studio drummer. The drumming on that disc is just great I think. Drover isnt bad, just very boring.

Shocking but great news('cause Ellefson sued Dave,etc.)
I like James and I hope he'll fit just fine somewhere else.

And yes,Megadeth has always been like Dave's project 'cause idea usually came from ONE man not five,six.. but still without cool line up you're screwed.

This is a trend nothing Mustaine handles is handled professionally. It's a matter of interviews before he throws Lomenzo under the bus...