Reviewer
Jun 20, 2004
London
www.geocities.com
Ellipsis – From Beyond Thematics
Adipocere Records – CDAR85 – April 2004
By Anna Novitzky

ellipsis.jpg

Descriptions like ‘psycho prog metal’ usually make me wince and turn away. I can’t help it; it’s a Pavlovian reaction, learned from sad experience. However, I overrode my natural disinclination to give this album a fair hearing, and I’m really rather glad I did.

From the first intense tribal rhythms of opener Infernal and Beautiful, From Beyond Thematics carries a powerful emotional charge that almost seems to bypass the brain, leaping straight for the nervous system and simply taking up residence in the subconscious. It’s a subtle mixture of several styles, moving from moments of relentless nihilism, all pounding drums and hoarse snarling, to periods of mellow electronica, with almost jazz-like basses and surprisingly sweet guitar solos, without missing a beat. This lends it a welcome originality that is refreshing and invigorating yet spine-tinglingly familiar, like the soundtrack to a primeval ritual.

However, while Ellipsis may know have a damn good idea of how to catch our attention, it’s just possible that they don’t know where to stop. Although their sound is certainly distinctive amongst the general herd, when heard en masse it has a tendency to run together; in large chunks it loses its spell-binding potency. A supposed concept album without any clear concept, it’s in danger of drowning in its own pretentiousness – but if that’s a crime, arrest the entire metal community, officer, we’re all guilty.

That, though, is mere nit-picking. This is a fascinating album that really grabs at the imagination. It’s compelling and forceful, and hey, you could probably even dance to it. What more could you want?

8/10

Official Ellipsis website
Official Adipocere website