Elm Street - Heart Racer

So we're gonna roll with Off Topic as the "Promote Your Work" forum and not try to fight the idea that "this forum has already gone to shit so we may as well not try to make it better"?

Then we're essentially saying that the Sneap forum is no longer a place for discussion/collaboration around actual production and instead should be used for selling podfarm presets and sample packs, backing-track mix practice, and unadulterated self-promotion. Not only that, but we're saying it would be too confusing to try to fix. We're literally giving up on any hope that this forum could ever get back to even a fraction of how good it used to be.

remember Andy Sneap pays for that with no actual benefit to it.

I do not buy that at all. Do you know how much traffic this site drives to Ultimate Metal? The ad revenue alone should more than pay for the cost of keeping the forum up.

So we're gonna roll with Off Topic as the "Promote Your Work" forum and not try to fight the idea that "this forum has already gone to shit so we may as well not try to make it better"?

Then we're essentially saying that the Sneap forum is no longer a place for discussion/collaboration around actual production and instead should be used for selling podfarm presets and sample packs, backing-track mix practice, and unadulterated self-promotion. Not only that, but we're saying it would be too confusing to try to fix. We're literally giving up on any hope that this forum could ever get back to even a fraction of how good it used to be.

I do not buy that at all. Do you know how much traffic this site drives to Ultimate Metal? The ad revenue alone should more than pay for the cost of keeping the forum up.

I definitely agree with you, if there's allegedly no point on adding just one sub-forum more to make the whole forum better, we could all just stop posting on this forum since it's already "gone shit". Finished Productions sub-forum with a few different categories (one with all natural stuff and other with more programmed stuff goes for example) would be a good addition to the forum, and it could even make the whole forum more active maybe.

I'll start by admitting I've definitely taken advantage of the pass long time members get when posting their own work in the OTT. That said, I don't really like that the mods are ignoring the valid point that this is a thing:
Practice Room
Promote your work, ask for feedback, offer mixing practice

The fix could be as simple as moving that first phrase and adding it to this forum's description.

On an aside, I've never worked with Ermz but I have zero complaints about working with Jeff professionally and as a listener I have zero complaints about the records he and Ermz have worked on respectively. Let's not conflate personal issues with professionalism.

Hey guys,

I'm glad the majority of you seem to agree that finished productions need somewhere else to go than the 'Practice room'. We've all probably been in silent agreement on this, hence the free pass these threads have had over the years to exist here on the off-topic board.

Thank you to those who chimed in on the production et al. If you continue to have any questions about it, feel free to PM or e-mail me and I'll get back to you about it.

I agree that we shouldn't conflate personal issues with professionalism here. However, when you get an outright attempt at character assassination in a public forum, and the admins/moderators don't see fit to remove it, you start to wonder whether you stand to take a hit professionally when people newer to the community read the slander. With that said, I still have no desire to egg on any of the prevalent personal issues here, so I won't be checking this thread again after this post. However, there are some things I'd like to post, which should speak for themselves, and might provide context to the casual onlooker.

Regarding my 'lack of approachability'. I would never, under normal circumstances post private communication, but I believe an exception is warranted here. I abhor needing to bring this up, but here we go. Prior to now, this was my last private contact with Jeff.

33v2g4y.jpg

2n221pk.jpg

As you can see by the date, this was quite some months ago. All good, I thought at the time. Then, a few days ago a colleague contacts me with a set of screen grabs he feels I might be interested in.

25t8048.jpg

2rm9hyg.jpg

Somewhere in between my Instagram being stalked to prove an obtuse point, being called a narcissist, serial killer etc. you might understand how I decided it would be a good idea to sever ties with a couple of people. What agitates the situation for me is that when these things are voiced in a quasi-public forum of supposed professionals, you stand to take a hit if unknowing potential clientele read them. The reason I post this here is because most, if not all, of these people are members of THIS forum. If this is the sort of attitude the board wants to engender, then I sincerely worry for it. It's ironic that there's talk of a return to the 'glory days' of this board, while talk like this goes unchecked in the background.

For the very last time, I can't state unequivocally enough how disinterested I am in these personal dramas, and this is the last time I'll acknowledge them, unless overtly attacked again publicly by an array of ad hominem.

Thanks to the rest of you for engaging in discussion relevant to the OP. Again, if you have any more questions about the project, PM or e-mail me. Assuming a consensus is reached about where these threads belong, I'm hoping to share more work with you over the coming weeks, as it's been a very good year here and I've been fortunate to work on some amazing records thus far. Cheers.

PS. Not that this explanation is owed, but the sole reason I maintain an Instagram account is to filter poor-quality camera photos. It's essentially just a medium to get those photos directly onto Facebook. I've never advertised the account because I never wanted to be followed there, yet somehow still built up a very small follower base. So the reason I follow next to nobody on that platform is because I never actually use it for anything other than hosting my photos.

You know what dude, I've not posted to this topic because it's not really that interesting to me but as far as the opinion above goes I'm just going to clarify that everything I posted above reflects the way I feel publicly as well.

You were a very approachable and nice dude up until a certain point and then you adopted a sort of sneering condescension that I just didn't really want to listen to. I'm not alone in thinking that so make of it what you will.

You've helped me out in a lot of aspects of AE'ing and I've never shied away from saying you had skills/talent but at the end of the day how you treat people beyond that will also reflect how they think of you.

For the earlier help best of luck with your career and feel free to prove me wrong. For everything else, well, I'm sure my opinion won't cause you to lose to much sleep at night but I won't beat around the bush with it - I'm sure many people out there will have a similar one regarding me but life is a dance and you're going to step on a few toes - c'est la vie.

Dude, that email was the first private contact we'd had in a long while. Me liking my friend's record that you mastered and wanting an updated version of something I purchased hardly indicates us being chummy.

My 'approachable' comments were based more on the fact that we used to chat a ton on msn/fb and have good banter on this forum (you helped me learn Battery when I was a noob, it's not like I've forgotten that) all the time, but then at some point you stopped engaging with me unless it was to show me a mix you had done and of your forum posts slowly turned self-aggrandizing.

Stalked is an interesting way to put it - I followed you ages ago because I got a typical "your contact on fb signed up on ig" notification, and stopped when I realized you had no desire to take part in the 'social' part of that particular social network. If your goal is to get filtered pictures onto FB then you should know that Facebook has Instagram-style filters natively and has since they bought the company 3 years ago.

I don't think it's worth adding another sub-forum. The "golden days" are quite behind us and there's not a whole lot of stimulating discussions as there once was. Adding one more piece to the puzzle would just further confuse things.

I don't mind as it is right now to be fair.

Also, great mix Ermin!

Fewer people (worth listening to) are sharing techniques or giving advice. Restructuring the forums to encourage advice giving could only be a good thing.

Since the secret is out anyway on account of Glenn and Nolly sharing it, between Drum Leveler and Pro-MB you don't really need to use samples anymore if you don't want to.

With "the secret", do you mean using Pro-MB for something other than partial gating?

Btw great mix (I'd like to hear a bit less pronounced high end on the kick, but that's just a preference).