Elvenking's new album: The Scythe, details

nailz

Nov 11, 2002
San Francisco
Visit site
from Elvenking.net:

New Album cover and title revealed!!
After the worldwide success of previous album "The winter wake", we are proud to announce all the details about ELVENKING new album.
The album title is "THE SCYTHE" and it will be released on September 14th through AFM records in all European countruies.
Here are our licensee partners over the world so far:

USA: Candlelight
Canada: PHD
Russia: CD Maximum
Japan: tba
South-America: Laser Records
More news about release dates in these countries to follow.

the_scythe.jpg

As previously announced lyrically it is a theme-album about Death and all the songs are releated to the topic.
Here is the complete tracklist for the European edition:

1- The scythe
2- Lost hill of memories
3- Infection
4- Poison tears
5- A riddle of stars
6- Romance & Wrath
7- The divided heart
8- Horns Ablaze
(digipack limited edition bonus track)
9- Totentanz
10- Death and the suffering
11- Dominhate

The digipack version should include also the video for the song "The Divided Heart". More news on other editions and bonus tracks included to be announced soon

Also taken from the EK forums, written by myself:

I'm going to be the first to throw out some speculation. While The Winter Wake was definitely a little more lyrically downtrodden and darker than I really associated with Elvenking, I enjoyed it immensely. That said, I had hoped to return to more of the ... I dunno.. "fun" feeling of songs like Regality Dance and Seasonspeech with the release of the new CD.

Instead, I'm presented with a concept album about death named "The Scythe."

Not exactly the fun upbeat idea I was hoping for. What will it sound like? How much of a change from the sound I fell in love with will this album be? How similar will it be? Is it a misleading concept of death to the energy of the songs? How strong of a role will the folk portion of the folk-metal label we've associated with elvenking come into play?

How much has the band "evolved" in the song writing process from TWW to The Scythe?

All of these questions will no doubt be answered in time, and will no doubt be answered to my liking. I have every reason to believe that this album will rock out loud in true Elvenking fasion, and I will not be disappointed, I'm just feeling a little in the dark on it.

I eagerly await song samples.

i really like elven king, i look forward to the cd, let us know when something gets released

Glenn needs to book these guys, and make them play Heathenreel start to finish! :) Looking forward to the new album too

While it would be fun to hear a lot of the songs off the CD, I'd rather be able to hear a smattering of everything, especially since it would likely be the ONLY time we get to see them in the states. (To be realistic.)

Anyway, I will definitely let you guys know when more info has been released.

One of my favorite bands. Can't wait for this! And maybe they'll start thinking tour after getting this album out.