Elvis is a hack

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
Thats right. If racism didn't exist back in the 40s and 50s, Elvis would not have made it nearly as big as he did, in fact he probably wouldn't have made it at all. Nothing personal against him or his songs (even though alot of them weren't his songs..), but he really doesn't deserve to be called 'the king'.

spawn said:
He has a one in a billion voice, thats what made him great...
His voice may be unique but that does not mean he can sing...well.

I'm not trying to be controversial, it is something I have always thought since I did music history in high school, it was just that there was a news story on this afternoon about it being the 50th anniversary of his first recording or something, and they were referring to it as the birth of rock and roll. What a load of shit.

Elvis didnt run a plantation with slaves who he stole music from! He was a singer, he had a band, he recorded music, there you go!

yes. I think the real creators of rock 'n roll are black performers. They wrote the songs, they were released by them at first, but tanked. But then, they were re-recorded by WHITE performers, and were successful! That held performers like Little Richard, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry(even though he was successful, his debut was supposed to be released earlier, such is the case with the rest of the aforementioned artists) and Bo Diddly back. If it weren't for the racism then, i guarantee you Elvis wouldn't be as touted as he is now. Not to say he isn't important--he is. He popularized the genre, gave it to the masses, and also introduced that "contraversial" edge to rock that still exists to this day. But musically......he's overrated.

Blitzkrieg said:
Exactly, but as for the part about Elvis taking rock and roll to the masses, if racism hadn't have held black artists back, they would have been able to take it to the masses themselves, making Elvis less significant.
Yes, racism did hold them back, exactly. Had it not been for that, they would've gotten their due, totally. But facts are facts, Blitzy my boy. Elvis DID popularize the genre, and we can never take that away from him. Thus, maing him signifigant.