Elvis is a hack

I have a book about Jimi Hendrix at home called "Crosstown Traffic" which suggests that he never would have crossed over to the mainstream had his band not consisted entirely of white musicians. His black fans couldn't accept that and branded him a sellout, and the white audience had a similar reaction when he broke up The Experience and got together with Band of Gypsies (who were all black). So much for the liberal and tolerant swinging sixties, eh?

W

The experience were entirley white, all two of them
He only played with the Gypsies for less than a year before dying

That doesn't change what Wrathy said, Gav. It seems like you are denying that racism against blacks existed (and continues to exist) in the music industry, which is, with all due respect, a rather strange thing to believe.

Look, this is the last comment im gong to make on this subject.

I agree with alot of the points you guys are making and of course im not trying to deny that racism against blacks in music or in general existed.

Im not a music historian or a Evlis fan, But i do think making general claims like Elvis only because successful because of racism is just ridiculous

In fact The very concept of a certain race owning a type of music is racist in itself

Blitzy, Elvis was so talented that he would have made it without the Powers That Be holding the black man down.

Talent will out.

If by 'made it', you mean gotten a recording contract and had some hits and became well known, then you're probably right, but if you mean he would have still gotten the reputation he has today as 'the king' and one of the creators of rock and roll, then you are wrong.

Blitzkrieg said:
If by 'made it', you mean gotten a recording contract and had some hits and became well known, then you're probably right, but if you mean he would have still gotten the reputation he has today as 'the king' and one of the creators of rock and roll, then you are wrong.

Does it even matter?

Who cares how got there? the fact is, he did get there. He popularised the genre, so a few black guys missed out on credit, big fucking deal. The point here is, would they have made the genre as popular as he did? probably not. Why? because they didn't have the charisma, the looks nor the charm elvis did.