EMG 18Volt mod worth it or not?

I've done the mod with my 81s, it's not worth the hassle and it's actually a downgrade. 9v sounds more compressed but it's punchier so it's a good thing at least for metal rhythm.

I like it for bass all around, on guitar is a toss up. Didn't really improve heavy tones, but kinda like what it did to cleans and how some spots in the 5-way between 81/85 sounded.

Do I like it? Depends on the guitar and what I want to play. On a general basis, for tight a tight down-tuned rhythm tone, nope.

Is it worth it? Dude, it's super easy and the only real cost is like… what? A 9V battery and maybe a couple of battery pins if you don't have spares from other EMG installs or old radios or whatever. It's almost free and the wiring harness is stupid easy to make, and it's not even permanent if you decide to go back. Give it a try yourself. You might like it. There's no reason not to.

13148c310a859d26.gif

Depends on the sound you want, but it is easy to try and undo.

Works just fine with GFS RedActives as well. Doesn't work on Seymour Duncan Blackouts.

I recently came across a product through the Tone King which is a battery enclosure for two 12v batteries which lets you run EMGs on 24v. It's cool because it doesn't require any extra space or modification. I just ordered one myself, going to try it out with a 81-7H and 85-7H set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm a total tard, but where do you put the second battery?
... In the control cavity... ? Or is your guitar one of those that comes already with a separate cavity for the battery? In that case, you're kinda screwed. :p

Depends on the sound you want, but it is easy to try and undo.

Works just fine with GFS RedActives as well. Doesn't work on Seymour Duncan Blackouts.
It does work on Blackouts. The difference isn't as noticeable, but it does work. I've tried it. Marcus (Metaltastic) posted some comparison clips a while back too.

BTW, those RedActives are pretty cool too considering they're like 30 bucks. I've only tried the bridge model, but it was cool. They're voiced dirtier/grindier EMG's, but definitely not worse by any means, just different. Pretty tight too. Way tighter than Blackouts at least.

Isn't the EMG rated to take up to 27V? Are these the pick ups you're referring to spark?

I have the 24V duel battery gizmo in a Schecter Blackjack C7 with 707s and i liked it so kept it in there.

I've tried it a few times but still prefer the 9v. The 18v takes away the character of the pickup IMO. Yes it sounds more open less compressed, but that's NOT how I want my 81 to sound. I want it to sound tight and aggressive.

Absolutely worth doing imo. Better clean tones, more dynamic's, great if you're a heavy picker as it stops the pickup from chopping the tops off all your heavy chugging.

DEFINITELY do it if you're playing a 8 string guitar, tried it for a band I was recording and it made a huge difference. Running at 9v everything was way too compressed, made string noise a real problem and generally the lower strings sounded like crap as they were just total square waves. 18v mod stops the preamp from shitting the bed when you go down to the 8th string. Sounded much meatier too.

The 24v mod mentioned above is great too as it actually takes up less space than a standard 9v battery!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emg-24-Vo...220?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a9aeebc5c

By the datasheet the rated max is supply V is ±18V. And the gain product for it goes asymptotic after 15V. I would bet it'll tolerate 27V, but there's really no reason to do it.

Isn't the EMG rated to take up to 27V? Are these the pick ups you're referring to spark?

I have the 24V duel battery gizmo in a Schecter Blackjack C7 with 707s and i liked it so kept it in there.

So for example for a djent tone the 24v mod YAY OR NAY?

24v is techincally overkill. In reality, the supply voltage needed to clean up the pickups could be as low as 12v, so 18v is really overkill.

NAY. max input voltage on the opamp in it is 18V.

+/- 18v, that means with a single sided power rail it can handle 36v.

By the datasheet the rated max is supply V is ±18V. And the gain product for it goes asymptotic after 15V. I would bet it'll tolerate 27V, but there's really no reason to do it.

Like I mentioned up earlier the maximum rating of the opamp is 36v on a signle sided power rail, and EMG states that the pickups can be safetly operated at 27v but state it has no benefit over 18v becuase even if you are using high output strings 18v is still more than plenty to operate the pickups without any clipping.

Now you can remove all audible clipping with standard nickel steel strings without doing the 18v mod. Its a concept called "lowering the pickup height", yes you can do that with actives as well. The only reason they say to get the pickup as close to the strings is because you can do so without killing the sustain of the strings as the magnets have less flux to them and don't pull on the strings. You maximize output but getting the pickup as close as you can but with 9v you will clip the circuitry. Lower the pickup and you will notice clean cleans.

I run my EMG guitar with stainless steel string and their output is ridiculous, I dropped the pickups so that they were flush with the pickup ring and instantly, no more audible clipping. There still some clipping on the most extreme transients when you look at the waveform via Oscilloscope or DAW, but you can't actually hear audible clipping. I'd wager given how much my stainless steel guitar clipped over my other nickle steel guitar with the pickups at the same height, that with nickel steel you could achieve absolutely no clipping if you lowered them enough.

I'm playing 2x85 in 18V mod in my Jackson RR5 since 2008. As earlier was said, if you want more "natural", "opened", less compressed tone - just go for it...

But if you're afraid of losing the "emg character" - don't worry, the change won't be day/night. It'll be still good rhyhtm pickup:

Last edited by a moderator: