EMG 81 or 85 for a shite Ibanez

Joematthews

Dec 15, 2007
I know its been covered a fair amount but searching doesnt help... because EMG is three letters long.

Yeah, unfortunatly, being poor and all I can't ditch this guitar, but I would like to uprgrade the bridge pickup.

Its an Ibanez RG320FM (which oz will obviously love) and I tune to drop Bb. Its a relatively thin sounding guitar so I'm guessing 85 with 18 volt mod might be the way to go.

Any input from anyone?

Joe

85 definitely, I had an 81 in the bridge of my old RG and it was way too thin - the 85 was perfect!

85 in the bridge of my Ibanez just sounded wrong to me. Too many mids, hardly any decent palm mute chug. :puke: 81 in the bridge :headbang:

Do you want to go EMG? I'd just like to throw the possibility out there, but I alwas thought DiMarzio and Ibanez go together like... I don't know... something that goes together.

I recommend the DiMarzio ToneZone or Super Distortion to THICKEN and FATTEN the tone of a guitar up.

If I really had to choose between those two EMG's... well... I think I'd go 85. The 81 has more clarity, alright, but I think I prefer the 85. More output, more mids, more bass, less highs. I like that.

Fuck it... I think I'll get both to avoid the dummy neck pickup I was going to keep in there before. Which ever one I don't like I can sell to a friend or whatever if I run out of cash.

Joe