EMG 81

morten.nu

- determined n00b -
Jan 30, 2011
Anyone still use these? I got a Gibson Flying V with a 81/81 set last week.

Observations:

- Not much bottom end. 'Tight' might be a better/more positive description.

- Cuts like a knife.

- Great distorted tone.

- Horrible cleans.

Overall, still not the tone I'm looking for (but I've been through a handful of guitars that weren't there either).

Thoughts? Should I try the 18V mod?

a TONE is a consolidation of many components, how can you say that a pickup does not deliver the TONE you want!?

for me it means just that you do not really know what tone you're after or that you are not able to get it

no offense, i don't want to say that it's you, it could be so many things, not much experience,
shitty gear or a very strang eimagination of desired "TONE"

you won't ever find a pickup that does sound perfect in al ways, that's why there is a ton of pickups,
guitars, effects, amps etc. available out there. you won't find a pickup that's tight, cutting, great distortion wise and
that delivers an awesome clean tone...

besides all this, how can you be sure that it's the pickup?
maybe the guitar is crap or your other gear?

cheers
S.

a TONE is a consolidation of many components, how can you say that a pickup does not deliver the TONE you want!?

for me it means just that you do not really know what tone you're after or that you are not able to get it

no offense, i don't want to say that it's you, it could be so many things, not much experience,
shitty gear or a very strang eimagination of desired "TONE"

you won't ever find a pickup that does sound perfect in al ways, that's why there is a ton of pickups,
guitars, effects, amps etc. available out there. you won't find a pickup that's tight, cutting, great distortion wise and
that delivers an awesome clean tone...

besides all this, how can you be sure that it's the pickup?
maybe the guitar is crap or your other gear?

cheers
S.

'no offense, i don't want to say that it's you, it could be so many things, not much experience,
shitty gear or a very strang eimagination of desired "TONE"'

Geesh, yeah. You sure don't want to say it's me alright.

I know *exactly* the tone I'm after, that of my old Yamaha RGX. Was hoping another active-equipped guitar would suffice.

I've got one guitar with EMG 81/85 and second with Seymour Invader. I like Invader more - not so annoying mids like EMG and has more gain.
but EMG 85 is the best pickup I've ever played for soft solos, cleans.
I'll do a little comparison this week...

cheers

Not much bottom end? What amp are you playing through?

I get massive low end out of my guitars (all 81 equipped) if I turn up the bass and depth on my amps.

the bottom end is def tight, but there is lots to be had with mine.

was it made with EMG's or were they added? make sure the wiring and pot values are right. that's all i can think of.

I prefer EMG 85s, but it depends on the guitar. If you have a giant mahogany coffee table for a guitar (like a vintage Gibson Explorer), then the low cut of the 81 might be useful. Most modern guitars, though, sound a lot better/fuller with an 85. A lot of guitars that ship with 81s shouldn't, IMO.

Tried a lot of guitars with it lately, never understood the hype, like my both $300 dollar corts more for most shit