Emg 85 questions

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Hi
I'm trying to obtain a saturated distorsion near the dino cazares style.
I'm thinking to try the 81/85 switch.
Anyone of you can describe the differences between the 2 pu?
I know the argument was already treat but I don't find any discussion regarding emg 85 :\ (Where is the archive??)
Is the emg 85 more bassy but more "soft"?
Thank you guys!

basically the 85 is just a 'normal' pickup, no EQ changes, so it can be used for distortion or clean
while the 81 produces a little distortion in the high mids area, so its not so good for clean sounds, but much better suited for distortion

for the dino sound, i suggest go for the 81 in bridge position

for the record, dino has ditched his EMG's for the new seymour duncan blackouts...which look to be some pretty fucking brutal pickups

for the record, dino has ditched his EMG's for the new seymour duncan blackouts...which look to be some pretty fucking brutal pickups

Yeah, I reallllly want to try the EMG 707's AND these Blackouts....shame I cant get physically near a guitar with them in this area without actually ordering them off the net :p So im pretty much fucked :(:(:( !!

basically the 85 is just a 'normal' pickup, no EQ changes, so it can be used for distortion or clean
while the 85 produces a little distortion in the high mids area, so its not so good for clean sounds, but much better suited for distortion

for the dino sound, i suggest go for the 81 in bridge position

I don't agree with you. The 85 is a much better PU for cleans than the 81.

warmer, bassier due to its alnico5 magnet.

I think the 85 is awesome for distortion. Different sound. Didn't seem to be as harsh. Adam D from KSE talked me into moving my 85 from the neck to the bridge the next time I changed strings to see if I like it and I totally did. Not as much output obviously however a nice meaty sound none the less. Both are awesome pickups for distortion but the 85, as said earlier is without a doubt better for cleans.