EMG installation... strange problems

AHChris

Jun 23, 2009
Bavaria
Hey Guys.

Yesterday I installed a EMG Zakk Wylde Set in my new Agile Baritone (which is badass btw, will post some tracks)... It was the first EMG installation for me, but everything went well. I played a few minutes and was first very happy about how it sounded, but then I discovered a strange problem:
I mounted the 81 in the bridge position, and it sounds how it is supposed to sound but when I switch to the 85 or the middle position and switch back to the 81 it suddenly sounds more like I´m playing through a neck position PU (somehow fat and smooth with less treble). After a few times neck - bridge - neck - bridge switching it sounds normal again.

Sometimes the sound changes even while I´m playing!

Ever discovered something like this? What can I do?

Greetings Chris

Hey Guys.

Yesterday I installed a EMG Zakk Wylde Set in my new Agile Baritone (which is badass btw, will post some tracks)... It was the first EMG installation for me, but everything went well. I played a few minutes and was first very happy about how it sounded, but then I discovered a strange problem:
I mounted the 81 in the bridge position, and it sounds how it is supposed to sound but when I switch to the 85 or the middle position and switch back to the 81 it suddenly sounds more like I´m playing through a neck position PU (somehow fat and smooth with less treble). After a few times neck - bridge - neck - bridge switching it sounds normal again.

Sometimes the sound changes even while I´m playing!

Ever discovered something like this? What can I do?

Greetings Chris

Sounds like there could be some soldering issues or issues in general with the switch. It could just be as easy as a lousy switch.

sounds to me like either you fucked up your soldering or your pickup selector is in need of a replacement because its not contacting correctly and shorting to the wrong position

OK thanks... I will solder my cables to the switch a second time. God I hope this works. The switch worked fine before I installed the EMGs, so I hope this is not the issue.

Hey Guiiiise!!

I´m a bit drunk... My guitar is fine now... A little wire from neck PU to the switch was a bit loose but not everythings fine which led to a long long jam session with my drummer, which led to a lot of beers, jägermeister and so on...

Will post a comparison between the stock pickups and the EMGs tomorrow and of course some updated pics!!!

Anyone notice a slight bleed between pickups in Neck/Bridge pos?

For example: w/ the les paul if I select the bridge and lower the volume of the neck I can ever so slightly hear a thinness and more thick as I dial the volume for the neck pickup back to full. Indicating there is a slight (very slight) bleed between the pickups in their respective positions.

Sound right?