plague_rider

Coffee
Nov 13, 2008
Newcastle
I've heard that there are a few people using different setups of the EMG setup:

-Bridge 81 / Neck 85
-Bridge 81 / Neck 81
-Bridge 85 / Neck 81

My question is, has anyone tried 85(B)/85(N) at all, and does it work??

Theres some Gibsons with that combo in...im thinking of the shred x series *Id kill for the explorer but it costs(ed) a fortune* and that has a 85/85 combo goin'.

Im using the bridge 81 neck 85 in 2 of mine.

I've got an Ltd M-350

Its currently 81(b)/85(n)

To be honest, i play guitar when i can, but i'm a bassist, and picked this guitar up cheap as a project that needed parts/electronics sourced and installed

Its here as something for me to play/write on and for clients to use when recording if their guitars or for a better sound when playing leads

I know that the M-series comes with 81/81 as a standard

to be honest, i don't know what setup i should really be aiming to use for best production quality and general use...

I've got an Ibanez SZ with the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck.

I have played around with both in both positions. While I do like both in the bridge, I don't like the 85 in the neck. Too stuffy-sounding in there for my taste.

I think 81 in the neck sounds really damn good in the neck for leads. Super clear-sounding and super cutting.

I would really like to try a 60A in the neck because I'd prefer something a bit more traditional-sounding for cleans.

I run dual 85's in my Ibanez RGA and my Caparison Angelus and swear by it. I never liked running an 81/85 combo because the 81 has so much less low end than the 85. You get a great high gain rhythm tone dialed in for the 81, and then you flip to the 85 and it's mud city. I've run an 85/81 combo and it definitely has its advantages, but I'm a sucker for big, fat lead tones. I've found that with a dual 85 combo, you get the EMG clarity...but still retain some of the warmth that you lose from the ceramic 81. At the end of the day though, it all comes down to the woods of your guitar, your rig, your hands and your ears. I wouldn't suggest 85's for an all mahogany guitar, but if there are some brighter woods going on it may work wonderfully. I never would've thought I'd run dual 85's in my Angelus, but between the brass bridge, the maple top, and the ebony board there's enough snap that the 85's sound fantastic in there.

Yeah, it's so easy to switch them on account of the quick connect cables that I'd just recommend trying both! FWIW, there are times I dig the 85 in the bridge, but I've always found myself missing the bite and clarity the 81 brings (and running it at 18v adds in a bit more low end and smooths out the sterile sound IME). However, I've really never liked the 85 in the neck, too muddy for my tastes, and I found the 60 to be too shrill there (haven't tried a 60A), so the 81 is ALWAYS my choice for a neck pup!

However, I've really never liked the 85 in the neck, too muddy for my tastes, and I found the 60 to be too shrill there (haven't tried a 60A), so the 81 is ALWAYS my choice for a neck pup!

I'm right there with you... I'm running dual 81s in my hellraiser, but in my devil custom I'm sporting the traditional 81/85 combo... for some reason it sounds great on that guitar.

hmmm

from what you guys have suggested, i think i'll be leaning towards putting an 81 in the neck of this one then, i like the idea of having a tight rhythm and lead sound in there

thinking of getting either an Epiphone Explorer or Les Paul and put an 81/60 setup in it for the thicker rhythm sound and a nice clean sound for when needed

hmmm

from what you guys have suggested, i think i'll be leaning towards putting an 81 in the neck of this one then, i like the idea of having a tight rhythm and lead sound in there

thinking of getting either an Epiphone Explorer or Les Paul and put an 81/60 setup in it for the thicker rhythm sound and a nice clean sound for when needed

If you end up going with a 60 definitely get the 60A. Like Marcus said the 60 is super shrill. I've had them in a couple of guitars...and really tried to like them, but they're super thin and sterile. The alnico magnet in the 60A should help tame that.

I've not tried it, but it sounds like a valid idea to try.

My EC-500 has the 81/83 combo, and I don't think I'm totally stoked on the 81 in the bridge, after having my SC607B so long with the original 707 in the bridge (which I believe is more 85 like).

Very tempted to get an 85 for the bridge of the EC myself.