EMG pickup question

Executioner213

Ultimate Meatbag
Sep 2, 2001
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
Do any of you know if I can use the original barrel jack on my Ibanez JS100 as a direct replacement jack for a newly bought 81/85 set, granted I swap the pre-soldered wires and the battery clip onto it from the new jack? The jack that came with the set is basically a TRS type of jack, I'm assuming...two clicks for the 1/4inch plug to be all the way in... while the barrel jack seems to have something similar to this by sight, though it is all the way in with 1 click.

Sorry, I don't have photos for an example.
*please say yes! please say yes!*:zombie:

You need to use the one that comes with the pickups. Unless you are extremely lazy and/or don't have the money to have it done by a shop, it's really just better to use the EMG one.

~006

If your jack is stereo, yes. If not, unless you want to rewire the fuck out of the guitar and spend more money on a switch than you would on a jack, the answer is no. If you have a mono jack and you do want to rewire the fuck out of the guitar and spend more money on a switch than you would on a jack, you'll need to identify the wire going from plug to battery, rewire it so that it's always connected, and put in a SPST switch somewhere in that wire so that you can switch the power off when you're not using it.

A good jack can be found online for about $1.25, try Mouser Electronics if you don't have any electronics shops in town. Oh, and avoid Radio Shack plugs like the bubonic plague.

Jeff

Thanks for the feedback given thus far.

Lets remember that my guitar has a barrel jack for a *reason*....it's routed with the angled deep mount as all other Joe Satriani guitars have. Without chopping chunks out of the body of my guitar and bolting a plate to the body of the guitar for the 'jack that came with it' to mount to. I've seen plenty of Ibanez S series guitars with EMG's (James Murphy has one on the cover of his "Convergence" disc, for example) and those all have barrel jacks...so I know it can be done one way or another, but I'm not finding anything different in catalogs or online.

I guess I could re-word my overall question: Are all barrel jacks stereo? If not, how can you tell the difference?

...and also, I can't just go to a shop where I live....I'm the one that fixes all the guitars in the city I live. I bought the pickups in Spokane at Guitar Center while I was over there to see Slayer/Lamb Of God/Mastodon/Children Of Bodom. Nobody around here has EMG's, unless thier guitar came with them installed already. All I can get my hands on around here are DiMarzio's or Duncans.

It's an old thread but would you mind telling how the js100 sound with emgs in it?
I got a couple guitar that I wanna upgrade but I'm not sure what to do.
I got an esp f-50 (cheap guitar), an ibanez js100 and a strat copy which I like quite a bit for cleans and rock.
I'm hesitating in putin emgs in the esp or in the ibanez beacause the ibanez plays a lot better but the esp it easier to tune and it doesn't have as much body resonance which is IMO good for heavy stuff.
Any suggestions?

My JS100 is my main guitar, but it's also over 10 years old and I've done quite a bit of modding to it. The only thing original on it is the body and the neck. Original Floyd replaced the Lo-TRS trem long ago. It sounds pretty damn good and I'm glad I put the pups in it.

l_a709708c61e85d9d4d8e63c7cae967ba.jpg

l_d08936e7ea6f8b159ba13159a134369e.jpg