EMG ZW (81 & 85) or Seymour Duncan Live Wire Heavy metal?

slaesh

Aug 5, 2003
sweden
allright, i have to get som new pickups.. and i'll order them fron finland since it'll be cheaper..

which to choose basically?

and is the ZW kit ready to "put" in to any guitar or is it just for les pauls?

I have a Duncan LW-HMET Bridge, and I like it. It all depends on your tone preference, since EMG 81/85s are nothing like the Live Wires on that aspect. The Live Wires have more of a mid-range punch and the 81/85s have a lower mid-range, but excellent highs and lows. As far as output goes, the LW-HMET is the highest on the market (Find something with a higher output without a booster and I will be damned), but people seem to prefer EMG. Like I say, it all depends on how you like your tone, if you like more mids go with the LW, if you like light top heavy bottom, go with EMGs.

And the ZW kit is ready for any guitar, it is just the combination of the 81 & 85 as a package.

Yeah, it comes with the pickups (Obviously), EMGs wonderful quick connect cables, 4 25k long shaft pots (2 tone, 2 volume), 4 25k split shaft pots (2 tone, 2 volume), screws and springs. You can find all that info on the EMG website: www.emginc.com

Hi guys

I'm new here but am a dedicated metal fan since the tender age of eight. ahh bless. Anyhow I need some advice on general get up for a Dark Metal band (loose terminology for an even more loose example of a cross between Paradise Lost and Dark Tranquillity).

Can someone tell me the difference between the EMG-HZ and the 81/85 combo.

Would the 81/85 combo be a decent tone for the above???

I have the Hz but I have to say I'm not to impressed but it could be my lame setup.

Also this may sound like a daft question but I have an ESP V and I really don't fancy drilling holes in it. So with the above set would I be able to match it up to a single vol/treb setup?

If not is it easy and reasonably safe (for the guitar) to put a couple of new knobs on?

Argh! Sorry this is asking so much of you people especially as I'm new here but I'd really like to get a decent setup for playing live!

Thanks in advance

HZ is passive and 81/85 is an Active set [Meaning they require a different power source to operate (e.g. 9v Battery)]

And yes, the 81/85 set would be great for that kind of tone. Also, take your guitar to a professional to have that kind of work done if you do not wish to screw anything up, that's what I would do.

Thanks allot!

So how much of a difference am I gonna notice if I upgrade to the 81/85 combo from my present Hz4's? Especillay in the low end scheme of things as (despite sustain) the lead work is reasonably okay but any sort of muted melodic death style or even staright power chords sound really thin.

The biggest difference you will notice is in your gain, the 81/85 set has amazing gain. Listen to Zakk Wylde to hear the actual 81/85 set, or In Flames and Symphony X (Just to name a couple) to hear a pair of 81s. Of course, your amp will have a huge effect on your tone as well, so be careful there. To get the most out of that set, I would recommend either a Line 6 (HD-147, Spider II, Vetta), Peavey (5150, 5150 II, JSX), or Marshall (Mode Four, TSL). Chances are you will need a noise gate in order to get the most out of those pickups, so if you don't already have one, I suggest you invest in one in the near future. I am glad to be of any help!

Heh. Thanks guys this was a real help. I'm gonna try the 81 combo at some point to give my tone a boost. Are they easy to fit? I've had a look at the website and a few of the installation designs and it doesn't look to bad...Anyone had any experience fitting these little buggers into a one volume/tone/swith setup?

Once again major thanks

Just had someone who really knows what they're doing offer to fit 'um for a Tenner.

They're some of the most quiet pickups in the business...

That's the impression I got from everybody who's recommended them to me...Katalepsy what 'negative or positive' experience have you had with the 81's?

I'm speaking from the simple fact that they are high output pickups, and with anything that has high output, a noise gate is VERY useful, no matter how quiet they are. Honestly, if you don't think it's necessary, don't get one, but it would be a great investment nonetheless. Now if you have an amp that already has a noise gate on it, then that makes it all that much easier. And noise gates not only eliminate the buzzing of the input signal, but if you set the threshold right, you never have to turn your volume down if your palm or fingers aren't resting on the strings. Like I say, don't get one if you don't think you need one, it's just a recommendation.

No, the comment was appreciated. I want a noise gate regardless. It makes those chugging bits all that more aggressive if you can stop for a fraction of a second without noise.

I was just curious if you had tried the 81's and had a bad experience. Thanks for the feedback I've achieved a greater sense of clarity on the whole pickup issue because of help from you guys and the fantastic source of tat that is the 'Interweb'

It's much appreciated. Thanks.

Katalepsy, it's not the pickup. If you play EMGs with a clean tone there is obviously no noise at all. Noise comes with amp/pedal gain mostly, excluding 60 cycle hum (or 50 cycle hum for us europeans :D).