EMG'S or titanium trem block

D.Vial

Monster Lick
Nov 9, 2009
www.myspace.com
Hello guys, I want to mod my 1989 S540 since I'm not happy with the tone (When I play my Les paul the difference is ridiculous).

I want more clarity, body and definition, I already have Dimarzios on my guitar (chopper, c2, D-activator) still I'm not happy with the tone, anyway, I only have the money for one of these mods:

1-Emg 81/85 combo
2-Titanium trem block (I've heard that the tone improvement is mayor, more clarity and definition, is this true?)

Thanks guys!

Domingo.

unless the issue is that you don't like the DiMarzios, I would go for the trem block. Although I am a hardcare EMG fan, if I had a guitar that had a set of high output DiMarzios in them, I would be content enough to not get the itch to replace the pickups ever. Teh block will bring your more sustain and more resonance, but if everything in your guitar cahin is great, the whole problem could be that either you just don't like the wood of choice, or, its really cheap low grade wood.

Well it's mahogany, the meanest sounding wood ever IMO, also this guitar was supposed to be a high end Ibanez at the time, pretty sure that the trem block will do the job, still I need more opinions, thanks!

I would not go for the titanium trem.
As suggested, go for brass(Use it in the nut as well!).

just sell the guitar.

unfortunately I have to agree.
no pickup or tremblock will ever help you to get a fat, juicy, chunky nice and thick rhythm tone out of it.

when it comes to that the "S" is not as bad as the "RG" series, but it's just not the forte of those guitars.
they play fast and nicely and have cool tones for some stuff (digging the S series for fusion stuff for example), but it's just not a guitar for chunky downtuned metal rhythm sounds....no matter which trem block or pickup.