Eminence Legends speakers?

GOA

New Metal Member
Jul 19, 2005
Own basson cabinet with 4x12" Eminence Legends speakers. Live it's seems to be fine, but can't get decent tone and punch in the studio. I'm using 5150 with it and schecter damien-6 with emg85. Are Eminence Legends somehow comparable to those V30 You praying around. Is it going to be any advantage if I just stick in one V30 and will mike it for recording? What about those 4x12" Eminence Legends equiped cabs, any experience, anyone?

We had a post from Andy himself comparing the Eminence V12's to the V30's, and many other speakers mic'd up. The Eminence sounded like total shit!

I know live and in the room, I like my V12's. Cool speakers, for sure... but the V30's own the fucking hell out of them, especially mic'd up! I prefer them live, too. I'm currently saving up to replace the remaining 2 with 2 more V30's.

DSS3 said:
We had a post from Andy himself comparing the Eminence V12's to the V30's, and many other speakers mic'd up. The Eminence sounded like total shit!

I know live and in the room, I like my V12's. Cool speakers, for sure... but the V30's own the fucking hell out of them, especially mic'd up! I prefer them live, too. I'm currently saving up to replace the remaining 2 with 2 more V30's.
man I just picked up a bogner 1x12 with a V30...and it sounds like fucking ass. After all the praise for v30's I just couldn't believe it. I A/D'd this cab with my shitty home-made cab with cheap-assed eminence 10" speakers and aside from lacking low-end, the eminence sounding 10x better.

There's this weird obnoxious upper mid/high end sound that's now part of the guitar tone (no hum or noise or anything) that just overshadows everything with shit.

maybe I got a cab with a bad speaker? word's out the V30's are made in china now and are shit? is this true?

do y'all think it could be the cab? I'm assuming it's the speaker but don't know for sure. I might try some eminence in the cab or something. it's currently unusably awful.

I think Andy discussed the China thing with them and they aren't going to be made any worse or something. He said something about it on this forum anyway. You could probably find it.

Switching from Eminence V12's to Celestion V30's was the best thing I ever did to improve my recorded guitar tone. Well, aside from joining the Sneap forum, that is.

V12's sound good in the room, but suck suck suck when you put a mic on them. I really thought my gear wasn't cutting it or I couldn't get the mic positioning right until Andy posted his speaker and cab test.

We need to start a support group for V12 users. It's a three step program.

1) Buy vintage 30's
2) Put mic on cab
3) Record

GOA, here's the link:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213350

Genius Gone Insane said:
I've never recorded these speakers but sugar if you're right about them sounding good in the room I'd think that there's got to be some sort of unconventional way to mic them and get them to sound good on tape...err...disk

Maybe a ribbon mic off axis or a condenser a few feet back would work. I didn't have a ribbon at the time, and it didn't occur to me to try a condenser for some reason. :loco:

The V12's just seemed to get brittle and phased-out-sounding (with one mic?!) when I got a 57 up on the grille, no matter where I moved it, what I did with the tone controls on the amp, what battery I put in the TS-9, etc.

Later on I discovered I was also recording with the master volume a little too high, which was causing the tone to flab out a bit and (I think) was also causing the diaphragm of a 57 to distort a little. Oops. ;)

Things definitely got better when I got some v30's and backed down the master a bit. I also eq a little bass shy to counter the proximity effect of the 57 now. A 6db or so low-mid cut somewhere between 300-500hz helps too.

Carrier Flux said:
There's this weird obnoxious upper mid/high end sound that's now part of the guitar tone (no hum or noise or anything) that just overshadows everything with shit.

Are you talking miked up, or just in the room?

OzNimbus said:
Are you talking miked up, or just in the room?
both. I first noticed it in the room. and when micing it up I tried to find a position that got rid of that sound, but couldn't. it was pretty much everythere the tone was.