Emmure - Speaker of the Dead

no room on the kick, definately not in metal, horrible idea

im using z1 because it has some overhead sound attached to it, and in this recording, there's no original kick coming through the overheads (because cymbals are seperated), so i used the z1 to add it back in, but definately no room here

in this mix i cut deep at 150 hz, low shelf -1.5 db at 100 hz, steep high pass filter at 50 hz, and a -6db q1.0 at 600 hz
This is from a while back.
Other than the SSL on the buss comp. I don't know what he does with it.

hello everyone..i've recently purchased some samples from joey store.. i like truth joey sturgis custom snare sound and the detunes series toms... got also truth black & gold...i'm still searching for a kick that sound similar to newest emmure album 'cause i'm recording some Drop A bands and i want to make my sound similar.. anyone? joey? Luca from italy..

I combined this with the original thread. Please read the stickies, they clearly say "only one thread per album"

Been a fan of this band for a while now. Was cool to find out you were doing this one, Joey. It sounds great. I remember seeing the teaser on Youtube and being like I want it now!

Did Jessie track all the guitars on this or did Mike do some too? I saw the facebook clip of you and Jesse when he was tracking the "squeaky" part of Demons With Ryu and you were like "that's tiring.." lol

if you spend like 2 hours with the kick sample looping and messing around with plugins you can figure out the magic tricks haha

the thing that amazes me about joey's mixes is not as much the individual elements, but how well everything is melded together. it all works together to just be this...force.

Been a fan of this band for a while now. Was cool to find out you were doing this one, Joey. It sounds great. I remember seeing the teaser on Youtube and being like I want it now!

Did Jessie track all the guitars on this or did Mike do some too? I saw the facebook clip of you and Jesse when he was tracking the "squeaky" part of Demons With Ryu and you were like "that's tiring.." lol

All I can Tell you is that this squeaky part is sampled on live shows so both guitarists can plan the rythm part behind :D
(I know it's irrelevant but I found this pretty funny when I saw them a few weeks ago - absolutely amazing BTW :D )

I saw a live video of Demons with Ryu where the squeaky bit was played live, and after about a minute of playing it he started to get lost and started playing random stuff ha lead singer is scary \m/

It's been said a million times but, RBASS and MaxxBass, The single biggest differences you're going to hear in the low end of insturments, The kick in the final master is insane though, more than just that it seems, like sidechained to a sine wav, or some crazy mastering trick that lets the kick sit within 100-200 hz in your frequencies but feel like it's down at 60, no idea there, Octave plug-ins?

[UEAK]Clowd;9811740 said:
if you spend like 2 hours with the kick sample looping and messing around with plugins you can figure out the magic tricks haha

the thing that amazes me about joey's mixes is not as much the individual elements, but how well everything is melded together. it all works together to just be this...force.

:D

It's been said a million times but, RBASS and MaxxBass, The single biggest differences you're going to hear in the low end of insturments, The kick in the final master is insane though, more than just that it seems, like sidechained to a sine wav, or some crazy mastering trick that lets the kick sit within 100-200 hz in your frequencies but feel like it's down at 60, no idea there, Octave plug-ins?

i think i've got it pretty much figured out (although, yeah, joey seems to have some weird nice low-mid punchy shit going on) and you are missing two or three main plugins, aside from the standard fare, and mastering chain.

i won't give it away either though :p trust me, you learn a lot from trying to arrive there yourself. if he just gave you all the plugs and settings, then yeah, you would have a bad ass kick sound(you'd still need the mastering chain tho), but you wouldn't see how he arrived at those settings, and when the time came where you needed a different (but equally bad ass) kick sound, you'd be shit out of luck.

but honestly, fuck the kick. the snare is where its at. the stupid steven slate snares sound like jesus christ came down to earth and hit the snare drum with the hand of god on some of his stuff. it sounds like whoever played the drums was the angriest most aggressive mother fucker ever. that one i haven't figured out yet. it's a textural thing i think.

edit: actually i was just messing around with an old mix from last year where i didn't have any real drums to work with and i just figured out how to add a fuckload of impact to the slate snares. it's similiar to the kick. it's probably different than what joey does but that's ok cause i'm not trying to rip his style off - just have an equivalent energy level in my mixes.

[UEAK]Clowd;9830578 said:
but that's ok cause i'm not trying to rip his style off - just have an equivalent energy level in my mixes.

God, I have been trying to tell people that ask me for settings this for so long but couldnt find the proper words

+1 and a shit ton more