Emperor - Prometheus : The Discipline Of Fire And Demise

I discovered black metal music recently with bands such as Immortal, Dimmu Borgir, 1349 and other similar bands. However, there is one band that particularly took my attention, Emperor. I still do not understand how such a brilliant, talented band that lasted a decade disbanded an half-decade ago. It is truly surprising. However, do not be discouraged yet. "Prometheus : The Discipline Of Fire And Demise" might have been their last effort but an impressive and a destructive effort none-the-less. The beauty in this album is as deadly as it gets though.

The album might be defined as an experimental approach from the Norwegian black metal legends with songs such as "The Eruption", even in a progressive approach. However, destruction is still present within this album. "Grey" and "Thorns On My Grave" are a perfect example of what "true" black metal is and always will be. I might not be documented enough to tell you about Emperor's past efforts. However, Emperor's frontman and guitarist Ihsahn has an amazing voice. He might use his screaming techniques very well in this album. However, melody is an important aspect as well. In other words, Ihsahn can use guttural, pounding screams, haunting, "nightmaresque" whispering and a melodic voice in every possible way to create a perfect balance between these elements.

Overall, Emperor might be one of the best references to what black metal is today. They will always be remembered for the music they have created and performed for each and every fanatic of this legendary type of metal music that is black metal. "Prometheus : The Discipline Of Fire And Demise" is a brilliant "Grand Finale" from such unique musicians.

Note : 9/10

Suggestion tracks : The Eruption, Depraved, The Prophet, Grey and Thorns On My Grave.

Damn, i love this album. Its not totally black metal, or at least compared to earlier albums like Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk or In The Nightside Eclipse, but i guess i have this bias for concept albums, that and this one is just beautifully written. I say this gets a 10/10, even though it was Emperor's last breath.

This album was my gateway into true black metal, and it will always sit fondly in my memory. However, there is stuff even better then this, as awe inspiring as it seems. First, finish out the emperor catalogue. Then enjoy stuff like burzum and darkthrone, two of emperor's contemporaries. Anyways, this album owns. I particularly like the tongue of fire and in the wordless chamber. Bwuup Bwuup ;)

On the whole I give the album about 8/10, perhaps 7/10. Everything sounds great but on the whole it seems very pretentious (though I suppose one should expect from a band who claims to play 'Sophisticated Black Metal Art Exclusively'). Overall it is my least favorite Emperor album. I just has the least amount of memorable tracks though some are really good (Depraved, the Eruption, In the Wordless Chamber, The Tongue of Fire).

Lazer77 said:
Damn, i love this album. Its not totally black metal, or at least compared to earlier albums like Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk or In The Nightside Eclipse, but i guess i have this bias for concept albums, that and this one is just beautifully written. I say this gets a 10/10, even though it was Emperor's last breath.

nice ava :kickass:

I love this album...I didn't when I first got it, tho. I guess I wasn't really developed enough as a metal fan at the time to soak it in...but once I sat on it for a while, and gave it another listen, I fell in love...great album...