Emperor - Prometheus - The Discipline of Fire and Demise

Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
EMPEROR - PROMETHEUS - THE DISCIPLINE OF FIRE AND DEMISE
Candlelight USA - 2001

By Rodrigo

The year is 2001 and long gone are the days when Norwegian black metal was beginning to make its name on the metal world. While many wish for those days to come back (and some bands notably Darkthrone have stuck to their guns) many bands have decided that going beyond the boundaries of black metal, which was the exciting and logical thing to do. Emperor’s first two albums In the Nightside Eclipse and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk carried the early spirit but infused with classical and symphonic arrangements that made their music more majestic and complex as well as appealing to a wider audience. IX Equilibrium was received either favorably or unfavorably by the new sounds of the bands. A more straightforward death metal approach was mixed in and you can still see and read how many people were disappointed with it (don’t count me into that pile though). Prometheus is their latest masterpiece but unfortunately it is their last album.

From the opening baroque harpsichord melody lines of "The Eruption" to the final prophetic lyrics of "Thorns On My Grave", Prometheus is a bold and exciting final chapter to an amazing legacy. The death metal influences that were on IX Equilibrium but other aspects of that album like Ihsahn’s clean voice is still present. The symphonic arrangements are also present but are more than using keyboards to add the cold atmosphere that was found in In the Nightside Eclipse. Violins are used extensively in songs like "Empty" and "The Prophet". Horns as well as other string instruments add to the atmosphere of "In the Wordless Chamber"

The music itself is more complex than earlier albums. Prometheus is not an album that has songs instantly recognizable like "Into the Infinity of Thoughts". This album requires various listens to really understand what Emperor is trying to accomplish and once the album hits you it does so like a sledgehammer and you can’t stop listening to it. Despite this complexity, the playing by the 3 band members seems as effortless as possible. Trym’s precision tight double bass drumming is unbelievable. The guitar work of both Ihsahn and Zamoth is truly excellent. Just listen to the riff at 2:16 of "The Eruption" and subsequently during the chorus or the riff on "He Who Sought the Fire" at 1:28, is that really a guitar line you would expect to hear from Emperor?

All that Emperor achieved in the past and with this album is fulfilled with a powerful statement with "Thorns On My Grave". Starting with Trym’s pounding drums and quickly joined by razor sharp guitars and symphonic sounds this should instantly become a classic Emperor song. The slower and melodic middle section adds to the complexity and diversity that the band is accustomed to doing now. This song is a combination of old and new producing fantastic results and with its final verse saying "Now that I am gone lay thorns on my grave." it truly closes the legacy of one of the best metal bands of all time.

Many bands go one well past their prime tarnishing their name and legacy. A few like At the Gates knew exactly when they needed to stop and move on. Emperor now follows the same path and leaves the metal world at the top of their game with their finest album.

Candlelight Records Website
Emperor Official Website