Empyrium - A Wintersunset...

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
I'm miffed that I waited this long to buy this album. I am very pleased with A Wintersunset. Beautiful naturistic folk hymns.

"The Yearning" is a magical song. But "Ordain'd to Thee" is the album's majestic centerpiece. Great clean and "snarled" vocals. Beautiful epic melodies bringing to mind autumn tree-scapes and snowy mountains.

I haven't fully concentrated on October Falls or Songs of Moors and Misty Fields.

Amazing music.

I didn't expect you to like that album actually haha, but ya it's good. IMO songs of moors... is the better album, so get to listening! On a sidenote if you like the october falls stuff do get the last two empyrium albums. (must buys)

got this for christmas from my parents along with EoS-Crimson, Bathory-Hammerheart and one other shitz that i don't think i ever listened to!

snow2fall said:
Any thoughts on their new project Noekk?
After only listening to that one dead can dance song i started listening to the rest of the stuff. Really great keyboards parts (4:20 in strange mountain) , and some good vocals here and there. I have warmed up to it quite a bit. (fav songs strange mountain, fiery flower and riddle seeker) Sometimes i just want these two to put down the electric guitars, pick up their acoustics and let Helm bust out those operatic vocals ala weiland. We need another weiland. :heh:

spikes77 said:
Sometimes i just want these two to put down the electric guitars, pick up their acoustics and let Helm bust out those operatic vocals ala weiland. We need another weiland. :heh:

QUOTED FOR FUCKING TRUTH.

I somehow can't get myself to like Noekk. The vocals are sort of annoying to me. :erk:
Not sure if I want another Weiland though (I doubt it could be equalled or even topped anyhow), but maybe something totally new of similar genius, like it was the case with The Vision Bleak. Noekk just sounds like an unexciting collage of long-known elements to me.

Empyrium is one of those bands I can't imagine (and don't think I've ever seen) anyone really getting into a real argument over which album of theirs is best because they're all so damned good. Sometimes with bands like them, my favorite album is simply the last one I've listened to.

Thanatopsis123 said:
Empyrium is one of those bands I can't imagine (and don't think I've ever seen) anyone really getting into a real argument over which album of theirs is best because they're all so damned good. Sometimes with bands like them, my favorite album is simply the last one I've listened to.

Truth. "A Wintersunset" has a few generic/naive parts though, despite the awe-inspiring overall feel. I wouldn't listen to this one as often as the follow-ups.