Opeth17's Cool and Fun (Un)Black Metal Reco Exchange

SonOfNun

Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
EDIT: The original thread devolved into an argument between Erik and I. That was not the purpose of this thread. I welcome anyone who wants to participate in good faith for either or both of the two purposes of this thread which are:

1. For anyone who would like to discover good music and does not have a problem with references to Christianity in the lyrics to give a listen to my recommendations.

2. For anyone who is inclined to be helpful to recommend bands to me in the styles of music I'm interested in that fit some basic criteria.

My hope has been to get good discussions of music going in a spirit of reciprocity and not to debate the criteria we each privately hold for what music we enjoy.

Thread three in the series. I hope this one will get more engagement since this forum favors Black Metal.

Same format and rules apply. I'll make a bunch of recommendations of Unblack Metal bands that may be lesser known and ask in return for Black Metal recommendations that avoid blasphemous, anti-Christian, occult, or etc. stuff. I know that by the textbook definition of Black Metal that doesn't make any sense, but that definition is rarely followed now and there are a lot of (especially newer bands) that will fit the criteria. I'm especially interested in Folk/Viking stuff as well as symphonic and atmospheric BM. I prefer albums, but if there are albums I should hear that don't fit the criteria, I'd also appreciate song recommendations from those albums.

Here are the albums that I already have:

Agalloch - Pale Folklore, The Mantle, Ashes Against the Grain
Alcest - Le Secret, Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde, Ecailles de Lune, Les Voyages de L'ame
Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia
Bathory - Hammerheart
Bergthron - Faust fur Faust
Borknagar - Everything from The Archaic Course on
Cruachan - Folklore
Drudkh - Forgotten Legends, Autumn Aurora, The Swan Road, Blood in Our Wells
Empyrium - A Wintersunset, Songs of Moors and Misty Fields, etc.
Ensiferum - Ensiferum, Iron
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Mithotyn - In the Sign of the Ravens
Oathean - Fading Away Into the Grave of Nothingness
Ulver - Bergtatt, Kveldssanger, Nattens Madrigal
Vintersorg - ALL

I'll begin by doing my part and providing some Unblack Metal recommendations of my own. I'll start with the originators of Unblack Metal - Horde - and then give a sampling by region.

Horde - This is where it all began - the one-man project of the talented Jayson Sherlock of Mortification and Paramaecium. Horde invented the subgenre by writing Black Metal style music coupled with Christian lyrics. The title of the album provided the name for the music: Holy Unblack.

Hellig Usvart - 1994

SCANDINAVIA:

Antestor - Legendary act and one of the first Christian Extreme Metal bands formed in 1989. Began as a Death/Doom outfit before evolving into Unblack Metal. The first album is more straightforward while The Forsaken is a modern symphonic Unblack Metal masterpiece which is widely celebrated in all circles (and I've posted the full album here).

Kongsblod - 1997

The Forsaken - 2005

Crimson Moonlight - Swedish Unblack Metal band formed in 1997. They are one of the bigger names in the scene. They started off playing old school symphonic Unblack in the vein of "Stomblast" era Dimmu Borgir before taking a much more aggressive stance focused on speed and brutality in later albums.

Eternal Emperor - 1998

The Covenant Progress - 2003

Divine Darkness - 2016

Admonish - The first Unblack Metal band in Sweden - formed in 1994. They didn't release any recorded material until 2005. This, their second EP, is a masterpiece of melodic and atmospheric Unblack with sweeping acoustic passages.

Vaakevandring - An early symphonic Unblack band that recorded one of the most emotive and impactful EPs I've ever heard. Features the vocals of Ronny Hansen (future Antestor vocalist) and Pal Daehlen (drummer of Frosthardr).

Vaakevandring - 1999

Frosthardr - Norwegian band with roots back to 1997. The early material is more straightforward while the recent full-length has a black n' roll vibe I really enjoy.

Makteslos - 2004

Frosthardr - 2018

Drottnar - Norwegian band with roots back to 1996. They started off playing Viking Metal (A White Realm) but afterwards evolved into a Technical Unblack Metal style that is very impressive.

A White Realm - 1998

Welterwerk - 2006

Stratum - 2012

Monolith - 2019

Lengsel - Progressive Unblack Metal with members of Extol. Technical, boundary pushing, and strange - I haven't gotten into this a lot but people who like weirder music enjoy it.

Solace - 2000

Stronghold - Traditional sound that should appeal to BM fans. Members also performed in Cloth and Dalit. Has a bit of Doom Metal influence.

Prayers From a Yearning Heart - 2000

Cult of Remorse - 2007

Cloth - see above. Two very high quality EPs here.

Cloth - 2014

Axis Mundi - 2020

Sanctifica - Another early Unblack band that started in a symphonic mid-paced style before taking a more aggressive approach (reminds somewhat of Emperor) before evolving into a Progressive Death Metal band.

In the Bleak Midwinter - 1998

Spirit of Purity - 2000

Vardoger - Followed the same developmental trajectory as Sanctifica - unfortunate because this is a great Melodic Unblack Metal EP.

Whitefrozen - 2003

Grave Declaration - Norwegian band that plays modern symphonic Unblack Metal. Very polished music reminiscent of Carach Angren or "Puritanical..." era Dimmu Borgir.

The Nightshift Worshiper - 2008

When Dying Souls Scream Praise - 2013

Skald in Veum - Ripping fast Unblack in the vein of Dark Funeral or Marduk. Aggressive but with plenty of groove and biting lyrics.

1260 Days - 2015

Stridslysten - 2019

Moreld - A very unique band in the Unblack scene that plays Folk Metal reminiscient of Asmegin and Otyg.

Tidarkverv - 2011

Arvinger - Another Norwegian act that plays very good Viking Metal. The recent EP is much better produced than the debut album.

Helgards Fall - 2003

Rast - 2017

Reverorum ib Malacht - A weird ambient/Unblack act from Sweden with members of Dodfodd. I believe they held some kind of luciferian/anti-cosmic satanism beliefs before their research (allegedly to better blaspheme) led them to convert to Roman Catholicism.

Im Ra Distare Summum Soveris Seris Vas Innoble - 2018

ASIA:

Kekal - Indonesian Unblack band that has been putting out music since 1995. Their career has followed a similar trajectory to that of Ulver in that they started making more traditional (Un)Black Metal music before becoming more avant garde and incorporating electronic influences, etc. Their later work is rather renowned, but I'm partial to the first two albums which reveal youthful exuberance and honesty in all their glory. They demonstrate a great songwriting, melody, and fantastic lead work. Embrace the Dead is one of my favorite albums.

Beyond the Glimpse of Dreams - 1998

Embrace the Dead - 1999

Bealiah - Indonesian raw Unblack Metal band with atmospheric breaks.

Weeping at the Crimson Moon - 1999

CONTINENTAL EUROPE:

Slechtvalk - One of the top quality Unblack bands. Slechtvalk started as a one-man symphonic project on Falconry before evolving into Viking Metal by At the Dawn of War. A Forlorn Throne is one of my favorite albums.

Falconry - 2000

At the Dawn of War - 2005

A Forlorn Throne - 2010

Where Wandering Shadows and Mists Collide - 2016

Dormant - A rather good Dutch Unblack act.

Consolamentum - 2006

Opus Irae - German symphonic band that has released two well written and produced singles. The wait for release of the full-length has been long.

Elgibbor
- Polish one-man atmospheric Unblack act of former satanist Jarek Pozarycki. He puts out entirely too much material so that some of it is mediocre but when he is on, he is really on.

Stronger Than Hell - 2007

Repent or Perish - 2008

War - 2009

The Roots of Blood - 2016

Resist Him - 2017

Corruptus Vindicta - 2021

Firethrone - A side project of Jarek of Elgibbor - plays raw, fast Unblack war.

Day of Darkness and Blackness - 2008

Illuminandi - A Polish ensemble that plays a unique style of Folk Metal with a variety of instruments and male and female vocals. The violin is used to great effect.

In Via - 2010

Evroklidon - Probably one of the finest Unblack albums was released by this Ukrainian band whom I think anyone on this forum could appreciate.

The Flame of Sodom - 2005

Dying Blaze - A Ukrainian/Russian band that plays traditional Unblack with some nice riffs.

Attera Obscurum - 2011

The Angel Destroyer - 2018

Holy Blood - One of the better known Unblack bands. Ukraine's Holy Blood played Folk Metal before a split in the band led to a sound more like early Amon Amarth.

Waves Are Dancing - 2005

Shining Sun - 2010

Oskord - The departing members of Holy Blood took their Folk Metal sound with them to form a new band which released this excellent EP.

Weapon of Hope - 2011

Gospod - An Orthodox Christian band from Russia that emphasizes Orthodox vocal chants.

Israel's Exodus - 2021

Ohen - An interesting project from Slovakia that manages an almost Middle Eastern vibe on this song.

Mortal Man - 2014

LATIN AMERICA:

Anima Mortuum - Chilean project deeply influenced by the first wave of Black Metal and full of great rock/punk riffs.

Goat Destruction 2019

The Throne - 2021

Hortor - The premier Unblack band from Mexico - Hortor is led by riffmaster Fredy Acosta who plays with a revolving group of musicians. Hortor's early music (omitted here) was raw and symphonic before taking on a sound akin to early Immortal. Fredy developed that sound by adding back in more symphonic elements and clean vocals on the latest album which is a masterpiece full of incredible riffs and great songs. Listen to the two songs from Ancient... if you don't like symphonic and want to hear great riffs.

Ancient Satanic Rituals are Crushed in Dust - 2009

Dios de Dioses - 2013

Dharma Esencia de Impureza - 2018

Cerimonial Sacred
- Brazilian symphonic/atmospheric Unblack Metal project by two brothers. The below album is one of my favorites.

Christ Worshippers - 2015

Exortta - A promising young symphonic band from Brazil. They are a bit raw but I love the vocals and the direction they are heading.

Tempus - 2020

Hazeroth - A very good and melodic Unblack band from Brazil.

Charms of Sin - 2015

Sorrowstorm - A high-quality one-man Unblack act from Panama. One of the older Latin American projects that has recently re-emerged with a very good EP.

Caverns of Grief - 2002

Onward - 2008

Epoch of Exile - 2021

NORTH AMERICA:

Frost Like Ashes - Interesting American band with members of Possession that incorporates Death and Thrash metal elements into their style of Unblack along with high-pitched falsetto screams.

Tophet - 2005

Vials of Wrath - An Agalloch influenced project that writes beautiful soundscapes.

Days Without Names - 2015

Ataraxia - 2018

Hesychast - American Orthodox Christian band that also relies on bringing out the stylistic elements of their religious tradition.

Ageless - 2016

Within Thy Wounds - Roman Catholic atmospheric Unblack Metal band from Texas.

Forest of Iniquity - 2020

Panegyrist - Avant-garde Unblack band that reminds of Arcturus.

Hierurgy - 2018

You need more Immortal. They avoid all the Satan stuff but remain black as night and death.

You already have the four best Drudkh albums. Maybe get Estrangement as well, it's solid.

The first Borknagar album is a Top 5 black metal album for me. Others prefer The Olden Domain.

Reactions: SonOfNun and J.
I will listen to these when I head back to work on Sunday.I still havent forgotten Hesychast or Sletchvalk.

I'm especially interested in Folk/Viking stuff as well as symphonic and atmospheric BM.

Enslaved is an obvious one. They might have some old song in an ancient dialect used by some random troglodyte peoples that mentions chopping off a christian head, but the music definitely fits what you're looking for. They went off into cosmic waters later on, and recently shat the bed with Utgard.

Best Enslaved:

I will hit this thread up more after the gym.

Reactions: SonOfNun
You need more Immortal. They avoid all the Satan stuff but remain black as night and death.

The more I listen to this band and it's offshoots, the more impressed I am. Even the Demonaz album is really good.

Oh, and NAD and me fully endorse Between Two Worlds by I.

Best Immortal related album ever.

Hell yeah, Between Two World fucking rules.

Enslaved is indeed very necessary, very consistently great (other than Utgard). Is there anyone on RC that doesn't like at least one Enslaved album? They might be one of the Universal Appeals.

Thank you gentlemen.

You already have the four best Drudkh albums. Maybe get Estrangement as well, it's solid.

The first Borknagar album is a Top 5 black metal album for me. Others prefer The Olden Domain.

You are correct. I do need more Immortal. I used to have Sons of Northern Darkness and absolutely loved the riffs. Even though the Hortor reco didn't go over well in the tournament, I think one of the things I like about them is that they display the same kind of care for dynamic, Heavy Metal influenced, groove-oriented riffs (love that title track on Ancient Satanic Rituals...) I'm gonna go back and check out SoND and look into Blizzard Beasts. How is Abbath's solo material?

Also NAD, you might give a listen to Antestor's The Forsaken if you're so inclined. I've seen it compared to Dissection in some reviews (whom I know you like a lot). It's got that sound that's kind of a mix between Black Metal and Melodic Death Metal with exquisite lead guitar work. It also has Hellhammer on drums and is very well thought of generally (97% on MA if that means anything). The lyrics on that album are also not preachy.

I will listen to these when I head back to work on Sunday.I still havent forgotten Hesychast or Sletchvalk.

I appreciate it. The Christian scene excels in symphonic which I think is not one of your favorite styles (though you did think Cerimonial Sacred sounded promising). However, I do think there is a fair amount of stuff you would like here. Aside from the two you mentioned, you might like Admonish, Drottnar (you mentioned liking their song from Stratum previously), Moreld, Arvinger (especially the EP), Evroklidon, possibly Holy Blood/Oskord (more on the jollyfolk side), Gospod, and possibly others like Cloth, Dormant, and Within Thy Wounds. I don't know the full range or your tastes but I might start with these.

EDIT: Check out Horde and Antestor just to do it. :lol: They are foundational and, I think, really good.

Enslaved is an obvious one. They might have some old song in an ancient dialect used by some random troglodyte peoples that mentions chopping off a christian head, but the music definitely fits what you're looking for. They went off into cosmic waters later on, and recently shat the bed with Utgard.

Best Enslaved:

I will hit this thread up more after the gym.

I have been meaning to look into Enslaved more. I don't recall seeing anything very problematic on Vikingligr Veldi or Frost.

The more I listen to this band and it's offshoots, the more impressed I am. Even the Demonaz album is really good.

Oh, and NAD and me fully endorse Between Two Worlds by I.

Best Immortal related album ever.

This is already a huge find. This is exactly the kind of thing that I was hoping for. Thanks. I am also interested in bands that blend Black Metal with Heavy Metal or Thrash (like Destroyer 666). That's one of the things I like about the Anima Mortuum albums with their old school rockin Heavy Metal/Punk riffs.

Last edited:
Some "recent" albums I dig, beyond the obvious:

Imperium Dekadenz

Arkheron Thodol (thoroughly impressed with this one)

Downfall of Nur

Midnight Odyssey

Spite Extreme Wing

Adabroc (found this a few years ago via Bandcamp. Simple, epic, effective)

Alda

Aedra

Fellwarden

Flamen

How is Abbath's solo material?
I love the shit out of his first solo album, and since you dig Between Two Worlds, definitely check it out. I'm not a huge fan of the second one, but it's okay.

This song kicks my dick in with reckless abandon, and the rest of the album is just as good. The opening and closing tracks make it one of my favoUrite releases of the last decade, in fact I'm not entirely sure why I didn't nominate it for Vemodfest.

Also NAD, you might give a listen to Antestor's The Forsaken if you're so inclined. I've seen it compared to Dissection in some reviews (whom I know you like a lot). It's got that sound that's kind of a mix between Black Metal and Melodic Death Metal with exquisite lead guitar work. It also has Hellhammer on drums and is very well thought of generally (97% on MA if that means anything). The lyrics on that album are also not preachy.
This intrigues me, as that checks a lot of boxes for me as the saying goes, so I shall scope it out!

Srsly tho dude, first Borknagar album. It has nothing in common with their later stuff (which rules) but it is physically dripping with atmosphere:

Last edited:
I am working my way through these btw. You must be in an atmospheric mood lately.

It's how I roll.

I need to re-check out the Abbath cd. I remember liking it. Never checked out the 2nd one. And indeed, early Borknagar is great.

You might like these from the 90's

I didnt see any anti-Christian stuff, but it is very pro-Pagan if that makes a difference. Not sure where you draw the line

I love the shit out of his first solo album, and since you dig Between Two Worlds, definitely check it out. I'm not a huge fan of the second one, but it's okay.

This song kicks my dick in with reckless abandon, and the rest of the album is just as good. The opening and closing tracks make it one of my favoUrite releases of the last decade, in fact I'm not entirely sure why I didn't nominate it for Vemodfest.

This intrigues me, as that checks a lot of boxes for me as the saying goes, so I shall scope it out!

That's pretty damn catchy. I found this humorous: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...hetic_towards_christianity_for_his_taste.html

Srsly tho dude, first Borknagar album. It has nothing in common with their later stuff (which rules) but it is physically dripping with atmosphere:

The only reasons I haven't checked it out are that I never listened to it back in the day (was not a Garm fan though I've warmed to his vocals) and the lyrics were never released so I have no idea what they're talking about.

It's how I roll.

I need to re-check out the Abbath cd. I remember liking it. Never checked out the 2nd one. And indeed, early Borknagar is great.

You might like these from the 90's

I didnt see any anti-Christian stuff, but it is very pro-Pagan if that makes a difference. Not sure where you draw the line

Music sounds pretty alright. Did a brief look at the lyrics and they look a little sketch (the witchcraft stuff on the first and "Crusade of the Underworld Hordes" on the second). I don't really mind pro-pagan stuff, Norse mythology, or otherwise positive lyrics about whatever people believe in but occult/witchcraft stuff is a little too close to satanism for my comfort.

This is a good direction though because I'd like to find more stuff like Falkenbach or Nokturnal Mortum. More of that good nationalist metal.

Ah, king ov hell. The dude who tried to steal the Gorgoroth trademark from an original member and lost. What a wholesome young man.

This is a good direction though because I'd like to find more stuff like Falkenbach or Nokturnal Mortum. More of that good nationalist metal.

Maybe try
Astrofaes - Ancestor's Shadow
Astrofaes - Heritage
Belenos - Errances Onirique
Forefather - Steadfast
Gods Tower - The Eerie
Gods Tower - The Turns
Ifing - Against This Weald
Manegarm - Vredens Tid
Morrigan - Headcult
Myrkgrav - Trollskau, Skromt Og Kolabrenning
Nachtfalke - Doomed to Die
Nachtfalke - Hail Victory Teutonia
Nydvind - Eternal Winter Domain
Sigrblot - Blodsband
Winterfylleth - The Mercian Sphere

I hate lists, but I was bored at work. I'm not gonna check the lyrics to all these so I will leave that to you. I left out obvious ones like Moonsorrow and jolly folk (Ensiferum, early Thyrfing). You can always go with latter Graveland. He ditched the "evul" stuff long ago.

This song rules. I'm pleasantly surprised by how good this new Immortal is. It's much more immediate than their older work for me so who knows what that means in the long run but man Demonaz and Abbath can both write some riffs and are releasing impressive stuff.

Also, I looked up Caladan Brood because I saw J. talking about them previously and WOW. Purchased.

I love the Caladan Brood still. Very impressive. Def the best Summoning-ish band out there. I said it before, the dude needs to put Visigoth on hold and get Caladan Brood and Gallowbraid going. He's focusing on the wrong band.

Agreed about Immortal. The Demonaz album is better than the Abbath albums imo. But I slays them all.

A shame that now Horgh and Demonaz are in a tiff about the trademark/rights. Seriously, Abbath, Demonaz, and Horgh just need to go to the pub, have some pints, and hash shit out. Goddamn money ruins everything.

I love the Caladan Brood still. Very impressive. Def the best Summoning-ish band out there. I said it before, the dude needs to put Visigoth on hold and get Caladan Brood and Gallowbraid going. He's focusing on the wrong band.

Agreed about Immortal. The Demonaz album is better than the Abbath albums imo. But I slays them all.

A shame that now Horgh and Demonaz are in a tiff about the trademark/rights. Seriously, Abbath, Demonaz, and Horgh just need to go to the pub, have some pints, and hash shit out. Goddamn money ruins everything.

Haven't heard Visigoth but based on the descriptions the Caladan Brood is much more my style. No wonder the other is more accessible though.

Someone said the Immortal split was like having divorced parents and feeling guilty because you want them together but now you get two Christmases :lol:

So how in the world does one go about finding this Myrkgrav CD for a reasonable price?