Opeth17's Cool and Fun Thrash Metal Reco Exchange

SonOfNun

Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
I'm planning to do a series of these threads on each of the subgenres I'm interested in. The goal is a fruitful exchange of recommendations. I know a lot about bands from the Christian Metal scene as well as bands outside of such an identity but who have Christian influences in their lyrics. What I'm looking for is quality non-Christian bands that meet some specific criteria (and I know RC's vast collective knowledge can be of assistance here).

I choose not to own records that have blasphemous or anti-Christian lyrics. A little social or historical criticism of Christians is fine, but I think you know the stuff I'm going to avoid. I don't want anything occult. I also want to avoid extremely lewd or serial killer/gore stuff. Since I am hoping to find albums to add to my collection in physical format, I'd prefer full-length albums that avoid the above, but if there are only particular songs off an album that fit the criteria and you think I should hear them, I'll check those out and consider buying a download of the song.

I'm looking mostly for stuff from the 80s and 90s, but I'll check out new bands/albums if they're worth it.

Here's some stuff that I already have:

Annihilator - Never, Neverland
Exodus - Fabulous Disaster
Megadeth - Killing is My Business, some songs from Peace Sells, most of SFSGSW, Rust in Peace, Countdown, and some new stuff.
Metallica - first four
Metal Church - The Dark, Blessing in Disguise, The Human Factor

I'll begin by doing my part and providing some Thrash Metal recommendations of my own. Thrash is a subgenre where there is depth and variety in the Christian scene and I think there are some largely unknown gems to be found here:

Tourniquet - Tourniquet is one of the most creative and technically proficient Thrash bands in the Christian scene and beyond. I'm continually finding nuances in their music to appreciate (not something Thrash is typically known for).

Stop the Bleeding (1990) - It was a grower, but the debut is now one of my top Thrash albums of any persuasion. Great songwriting, lead work, drumming, and crazy falsetto vocals. Most raw and fun to listen to imo.

Psycho Surgery (1991) - The sophomore effort is more technical and polished, but features variety in songwriting and a lot of catchy tracks. Vocalist Guy Ritter has dropped the falsetto and the lyrics begin to incorporate medical allegories.

Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance (1992) - The third album is more progressive with classical influences and some experimental tracks (including the ten-minute long "Skeezix Dilemma"). Many consider this their best album.

Deliverance - Bay Area Thrash band formed in 1985. The first two albums are Speed/Thrash classics and demonstrate a great deal of talent in songwriting, guitar work, vocals, etc. Influences from secular acts are there, but Deliverance has its own (very catchy) sound.

Self-Titled (1989) - The debut is raw but melodic. A few of the songs were originally recorded for the "Greeting of Death" demo in 1985. This has been one of my most listened to albums over the last few years.

Weapons of Our Warfare (1990) - Most tend to see the sophomore effort as an improvement over the debut. It's hard to deny the greatness of these songs and the title track in particular.

Seventh Angel - SA were probably one of the earliest bands to combine Thrash and Doom in this way which led to some really creative and atmospheric songs. The tendency toward Doom and Gothic was more completely explored by Ian Arkley later on with his bands Ashen Mortality and My Silent Wake.

The Torment (1990)

Lament For the Weary (1991)

Believer - Believer is a progressive/technical Thrash band that often drew comparisons with Atheist and Cynic (ironically), especially on Dimensions. The first album was more straight-forward, but the next two became much more experimental. Tourniquet and Believer are probably the two most highly regarded Christian Thrash bands outside of the Christian scene.

Extraction From Mortality (1989)

Sanity Obscure (1990)

Orchestral Thrash:

Dimensions (1993)

The Trilogy of Knowledge: Believer's pioneering symphonic Thrash epic

Vengeance Rising

Human Sacrifice (1988)
- This is an interesting album. Fast, bluesy, great lead work, and vocals pushing towards Death Metal. VR was controversial at the time and ever since. This album is held in high-regard in the Christian scene and known outside of it, but not as lauded as Tourniquet and some others.

VR has another album ("Once Dead") with the same line-up that I haven't gotten into much and two more where the vocalist carried on with session members after the rest left to form Die Happy. I haven't listened to those two at all.

Sacrament - Brutal Thrash pushing boundaries toward Death Metal. The two albums sound very different. The first is grittier. I think the second actually has a more traditionally Thrash sound. There are also different vocalists on each album. "Souls in Torment" is one of those stuck-in-your-head songs. Very underrated band with a lot to like.

Testimony of Apocalypse (1990)

Haunts of Violence (1992)

The Crucified - Thrash/Crossover band that was formed in 1984 and has similarities to Suicidal Tendencies, D.R.I. and S.O.D. I didn't think I'd enjoy it, but I've really got into the debut and starting to listen to the follow-up more.

Self-Titled (1989)

The PIllars of Humanity (1991)

Living Sacrifice - A well-known and highly influential band. They started playing Thrash (having apparently absorbed a heavy dose of Reign in Blood), before releasing two Death Metal albums in 1992 and 1994. After that, LS helped pioneer the developing metalcore genre (much to my chagrin). Nothing groundbreaking here, but a solid headbanger.

Self-Titled (1991)

Betrayal - I waffle back and forth about how much I actually like this band. They have a lot going on. Their Thrash is riddled with atmospheric passages that are almost gothic in nature and other times they have elements that sound industrial (which the guitarist would explore later when the band became his one-man project). There's also some punk influence on the vocals though there was more in the earlier incarnation of the band, Martyr. Sometimes I think "hmm that was cool" and other times I think "wth is this?' At least they were creative.

Renaissance By Death (1991) -

The Passing (1993) -

Ultimatum - New Mexico Groove/Thrash with an interesting sound. Vocalist Scott Waters is a good guy with a real love for Metal (runs a small label, does graphics work, and hosts a YouTube channel). His vocals are an acquired taste, but I dig it. They have later works as well, but I'm only really familiar with the first two.

Symphonic Extremities (1995) - The debut is very diverse with a lot of slower and mid-paced songs too. It's a bit inconsistent, but there are some tracks I really enjoy here.

Puppet of Destruction (1998) - This is a more solid Thrash album and one that I've enjoyed for quite some time. It's simple and straight-forward stuff that isn't pushing any boundaries, but it grooves and I like to throw it on for fun.

These bands were not associated with the "Christian scene," but have Christian members and/or lyrics that are influenced by Christianity:

Opprobrium (originally Incubus) - I've recommended this band multiple times, but they've yet to penetrate the RC hive mind. The debut is regarded as a cult classic in the broader metal underground and the sophomore effort is also widely praised. They've remained an active band and released a solid record in 2019.

Serpent Temptation (1988) - Brutal Thrash by the Howard brothers (Brazilians that re-located to Louisiana) that pushes the boundaries toward Death Metal. They re-issued it with re-recorded vocals in 1996 and I like that version better, but this is the classic.

Beyond the Unknown (1990) - Francis Howard took over vocals and used more of a death growl which I favor. The music pushes further in the direction of Death Metal while retaining it's Thrash core. The production is better as well.

Realm - Another highly underrated band (though not as much as most of the others on this list). M-A lists this as Technical Thrash/Power Metal which sounds pretty good. They had a follow-up album "Suiciety" in 1990. This debut album also has a Beatles cover that some of y'all (@NAD ?) might find interesting.

Endless War (1988)

Deadly Blessing - This is more of a Power/Speed/Thrash band. It's criminal that they aren't more well-known. This thing soars and thrashes equally and the range of vocalist Ski is incredible.

Ascend From the Cauldron (1988)

Viking - Pretty good Thrash in the vein of Dark Angel. They have one earlier album (Do or Die) that I'm not familiar with.

Man of Straw (1989)

Stone Vengeance
- This band should be right up @Reign in Acai's alley.

To Kill Evil (1986)

There's more stuff from the 2000s-present, but this is already a lot.

I hope y'all take some time to listen through these. What have you got for me?

Sepultura - everything up to and including Arise (or maybe Chaos AD, depending who you ask)
Voivod - everything up to and including The Outer Limits.

okay, Im done

Dude, there are so many. Endless options...

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Coroner - All of 'em
Testament - The Legacy
Sacrifice - Forward To Termination (Fun Fact: flipped my car over one night to this album)
Sepultera - Beneath The Remains
Sadus - Illusions
Sodom - Agent Orange
Razor - Violent Restitution
Overkill - Years of Decay
Sabbat - History of a Time To Come
Whiplash - Power & Pain
Exumer - Possessed By Fire
Nuclear Assault - Game Over
Artillery - Terror Squad
Watchtower - Energetic Dissasembly
Forbidden - Twisted Into Form

This thread has reminded me to finally check into Voivod.

Edit: I tried to take out the bands I initially put in that defied your criteria the best I could remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: SonOfNun
Sepultura - everything up to and including Arise (or maybe Chaos AD, depending who you ask)
Voivod - everything up to and including The Outer Limits.

okay, Im done

I forgot that I have Sepultura - Beneath the Remains. The first Sepultura is no bueno for me (maybe the second too?), but I'm going to look into "Arise."

I never got into Voivod back in the day, but I wasn't really into Thrash back then either. I'll check 'em out.

Dude, there are so many. Endless options...

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Coroner - All of 'em
Testament - The Legacy
Sacrifice - Forward To Termination (Fun Fact: flipped my car over one night to this album)
Sepultera - Beneath The Remains
Sadus - Illusions
Sodom - Agent Orange
Razor - Violent Restitution
Overkill - Years of Decay
Sabbat - History of a Time To Come
Whiplash - Power & Pain
Exumer - Possessed By Fire
Nuclear Assault - Game Over
Artillery - Terror Squad
Watchtower - Energetic Dissasembly
Forbidden - Twisted Into Form

This thread has reminded me to finally check into Voivod.

Edit: I tried to take out the bands I initially put in that defied your criteria the best I could remember.

Thanks, there are some names here I've been meaning to check out. I think that Testament will work. The Dark Angel is probably a download option thanks to "Death is Certain (Life is Not)." I was actually kind of surprised by some of Overkill's lyrics, but there's probably a lot of stuff that will work there. Much to be done.

There's so damn much of this, buddy. I won't even try the real shit atm because i don't want to do it as half-assed as namedropping a bunch of classics (you know who i am looking at) but here's a starter, a buncha kiddos who sound like Lethal only better

https://sarcator-se.bandcamp.com/

Sounds good, wish they had lyrics up.

I look forward to seeing what all you've got.

Reactions: Krilons Resa

Early days RC hype band.

I have always loved these dudes like boobies.

I'm sure you know this one due to Peter Steele.

I've never paid much attention to lyrics so I have no idea if these qualify! But it's good thrashy stuff.

EDIT: Welp that first one has an upside down cross for the logo so *BUZZER*

EDITx2: Okay so that Sacred Reich album has some extreme blasphe-- *BUZZER*

EDITx3: Sorry man, I'll try again later, I'm sure I have something that qualifies.

Last edited:

Alright here you go. BIGGER THAN THE DEVIL.

Charlie Don't Cheat is the best thrash song S.O.D. ever wrote.

Well. Other than Chromatic Death I suppose.

Early days RC hype band.

EDIT: Welp that first one has an upside down cross for the logo so *BUZZER*

well you shouldn't judge these guys on that alone, let's see, the drummer has a new band, maybe with age he's gotten a bit more tolera...

Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 09.19.13.png
...oh

Reactions: NAD and Doom
"Blind sheep believing christ bullshit. Fake gods controlling all your minds. Thinking that we’re trying to shock you. You’re just a pussy if you’re offended. Fuck jesus up the ass. Holy bullshit you profess. Fuck jesus up the ass. No one hears your fucking prayers. We make music for ourselves and for other heathens who can think. We don’t give a fuck if you don’t like us. You are not our target audience. Fuck jesus up the ass. Holy bullshit you profess. Fuck jesus up the ass. No one hears your fucking prayers. Fuck jesus up the ass. Holy bullshit you profess. Fuck jesus up the ass. No one hears your fucking prayers."

Such poetry. Almost as bad as that Havohej song.

the only good christian thrash metal is torn flesh

8. Gay Rights?
The world is full of men lusting men
Gay is not happy when it is a sin
Free sex has got its price to pay
God still loves you but in a different way

AAAAAAAGH!
If you want gay rights, you got em!
You have the right to repent
You have the right to stand before God
And be judged
You have the right to heed Romans 1:26-30
If you want gay rights, you got 'em!

You're screaming for gay rights
but all of those rights are wrong
It is time to put love back
To where it really belongs
Two cities were destroyed
Because of what you do
Sodom and Gomorrah
Next it could be you

You beg for gay rights
You scream and you plead
when it's God's love
That you really need
The choice is still yours
To be gay or not
If you choose to be gay
You'll end up mighty hot!

The world is full
of men lusting men
Gay is not happy
When it is a sin
God's graceful love
Can set you free
Why do you think He created
Adam and Eve?

i recommend listening to the actual music too, it's hilariously inept

Leave it to Erik to derail the thread. I don't know how you find these things. I've never heard of that group or seen anyone ever mention their name.

Anyway, there's a lot of good stuff up there that I hope someone takes the time to check out.

I've listened to the Testament and it sounds solid (Ken's post was really helpful). I'll probably pick that one up. Been looking in to Coroner.

Reactions: Krilons Resa