Opeth17's Cool and Fun Death Metal Reco Exchange

So, I just listened to Procession to the Infraworld and now I understand why Jeff likes The Chasm so much. This has a strong affinity with black metal. Are the other albums in this vein or are they quite different from one another?

@J.

So, I just listened to Procession to the Infraworld and now I understand why Jeff likes The Chasm so much. This has a strong affinity with black metal. Are the other albums in this vein or are they quite different from one another?

@J.

Which is why they call their music Metal of Death instead.

The first doom are more doomy. Death for Eternity is commonly cited as one of the best DM albums ever. It has an old school feel. Not my fave, but it's good. Procession is amazing and I also really like the next two, Conjuration of the Spectral Empire and Spells of Retribution. The dark mystical atmosphere is there, and while a little long-winded, they are excellent. I think my fave is Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm. THis one takes time. It's long but soooo dark. I didnt like their latest instrumental one

Overall, an excellent underground band. No trends, no bullshit.

Which is why they call their music Metal of Death instead.

The first doom are more doomy. Death for Eternity is commonly cited as one of the best DM albums ever. It has an old school feel. Not my fave, but it's good. Procession is amazing and I also really like the next two, Conjuration of the Spectral Empire and Spells of Retribution. The dark mystical atmosphere is there, and while a little long-winded, they are excellent. I think my fave is Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm. THis one takes time. It's long but soooo dark. I didnt like their latest instrumental one

Overall, an excellent underground band. No trends, no bullshit.

I'll probably explore them some more. I'm not sure Deathcult or Procession are in my style but they obviously aren't immediate albums either. Looks like all that stuff is HTF OOP RARE too.

Therion and Cemetery are known classics. The blarghu OSDM does nothing for me, tbh. A band needs a little special something to throw them over the top if they are going for an old school sound....Amorphis, Nile, Bolt Thrower come to mind.

I always liked Dead Congregation, and Deathevokation's lone album kicks butticus.

Therion and Cemetery are known classics.

For some reason, I don't ever hear them talked about. I don't think I'd ever even heard of the Therion album (or knew they did DM). I see a little about Therion here in some very old threads and practically nothing about that Cemetary album (though RC has not typically been a big DM forum).

The blarghu OSDM does nothing for me, tbh.

What bands are in this category?

Amorphis, Nile, Bolt Thrower come to mind.

I've got albums by all of these bands. I'm really high on For Victory right now.

That Cemetery album is a highly sought after OOP OMGWTF HTF item, from what Ive seen. Then, later on, they went the route of gothic shit.

Therion's second album, Beyond Sanctorum, is the more praised of the two, but both get lots of name drops from in-the-know old school hipster doofus'.

When I think blarghu, I think Suffocation, CC, Dying Fetus, Cattle Decapitation, Origin, Cryptopsy...just blasting and growling

I hesitate to throw bands like Deicide, Gorguts, and Morbid Angel in there, especially the latter two, as there are moments of great music. But terrible vocalists.

I guess I just dont like the breakneck speed stuff, excepting Nile. I dig the more mid paced stuff, allowing the music to breathe, like Autopsy, Incantation, Carcass, the aforementioned Dead Congregation, Deathevokation, and Bolt Thrower, old Amorphis,

oh and let me add Sentenced's first two, Shadows of the Past and North From Here, as truly special outings. SotP is more old school death with some Finnish flair, but NFH is a unique beast. Most would say it's Melodic DM, but it's so much more.

Amok was good, I guess. Than they dumped everything and pulled a Katatonia, Cemetery, Tiamat, plus 75937549 more bands and went goth metal

That Cemetery album is a highly sought after OOP OMGWTF HTF item, from what Ive seen. Then, later on, they went the route of gothic shit.

Therion's second album, Beyond Sanctorum, is the more praised of the two, but both get lots of name drops from in-the-know old school hipster doofus'.

When I think blarghu, I think Suffocation, CC, Dying Fetus, Cattle Decapitation, Origin, Cryptopsy...just blasting and growling

I hesitate to throw bands like Deicide, Gorguts, and Morbid Angel in there, especially the latter two, as there are moments of great music. But terrible vocalists.

I guess I just dont like the breakneck speed stuff, excepting Nile. I dig the more mid paced stuff, allowing the music to breathe, like Autopsy, Incantation, Carcass, the aforementioned Dead Congregation, Deathevokation, and Bolt Thrower, old Amorphis,

I also enjoy the mid-paced stuff more. I've always thought OSDM signified that more mid-paced kind of DM like Obituary while a lot of the blarghu bands you mentioned are more like Brutal DM or Tech DM even if they're "Old School" in that they've been around a long time. I like some of that stuff if it has some groovy breakdown type stuff like Suffocation.

oh and let me add Sentenced's first two, Shadows of the Past and North From Here, as truly special outings. SotP is more old school death with some Finnish flair, but NFH is a unique beast. Most would say it's Melodic DM, but it's so much more.

Amok was good, I guess. Than they dumped everything and pulled a Katatonia, Cemetery, Tiamat, plus 75937549 more bands and went goth metal

Sentenced's first album was probably the next thing I was going to post in here. Just listened through it yesterday.

Never heard of Amok. What album?