Opeth17's Cool and Fun Thrash Metal Reco Exchange

There's very little going on there that actually looks like what Christians were thinking, saying, or doing in the 1st century.
1) do you honestly think YOU know a lot about what Christians (or anyone, for that matter) was thinking, saying or doing in the 1st century?
2) if you do, do you think thos thoughts, sayings and actions are relevant today and forever?

1) do you honestly think YOU know a lot about what Christians (or anyone, for that matter) was thinking, saying or doing in the 1st century?
2) if you do, do you think thos thoughts, sayings and actions are relevant today and forever?

1. Yes, I do. Not that me or my knowledge matter in particular, but the visible institution that is the Orthodox Church has verifiably existed since the time of the Apostles aka the first century. What the earliest Christians were doing is literally etched into everything the Church does from it's liturgical texts to its iconography to its theology. This is the meaning of living tradition. We also have the testimony of first century saints and bishops such as St. Ignatius of Antioch, St. Clement of Rome, St. Polycarp and others. They were all born and lived in the first century and wrote in the late first and early second century and their writings are available in a collection of writings called "The Apostolic Fathers." These men knew and were ordained as bishops by the Apostles and then trained and ordained a new generation of bishops and so on in a process called Apostolic Succession that verifiably links our bishops today to them and to the Apostles and thus to Jesus Christ. The writings of the Apostolic Fathers are replete with detailed references to first-century Christian practices that are practically identical to Orthodox belief and practice today. They speak continually about the importance of the threefold ministry of bishops, priests, and deacons. They describe the order and content of the liturgy. They articulate the theology of the Eucharist as the real Body and Blood of Jesus Christ and describe the other sacraments still administered in the Church, etc. etc. I'm an historian and it was my investigation of the history and archaeology of early Christianity (and reading these early documents) that demonstrated to me the overwhelming evidence that the Orthodox Church is THE Early Church in continued existence today.

2. If you consider yourself a Christian then it is incumbent upon you to practice what Christianity actually IS and not what you as an individual or people of a certain culture or age want it to be. Relevance as the world means it is not actually relevant, Truth is, and in Christianity Truth is an unchanging Person (the same yesterday, today, and forever). Being a Christian means accepting the Truth of the Person of Jesus Christ by joining yourself to the Church which He built and in which the Holy Spirit dwells continually. As I've noted above, we know what authentic Christianity is and that there is one Church which has maintained those beliefs and practices from the beginning to the present. If a "church" doesn't have bishops or doesn't have a liturgy, or doesn't believe the Eucharist is truly the Body and Blood of Christ, etc. etc. then we know that that is not authentic Christianity. If you accept the Truth of Christianity then of course you believe this Truth is relevant today and forever and you should desire to join yourself to THE Church where you can find the fullness of the Truth forever.

First impression of Tourniquet-Stop the Bleeding

Really good, but wish they would cut the falsetto to just exclamations, far too "balls in a clamp" driven. Up the amount of "tough guy we're going to kick your teeth in." I probably wont turn to it again since theres better shit in this genre and Its my least listened to of all subs. I need my molars punched in if im listening to thrash. But if youre limiting to yourself to just pious bands, this is fine work.

Reactions: SonOfNun
First impression of Tourniquet-Stop the Bleeding

Really good, but wish they would cut the falsetto to just exclamations, far too "balls in a clamp" driven. Up the amount of "tough guy we're going to kick your teeth in." I probably wont turn to it again since theres better shit in this genre and Its my least listened to of all subs. I need my molars punched in if im listening to thrash. But if youre limiting to yourself to just pious bands, this is fine work.

Yeah, I've never encountered somebody who didn't think it was really good musically. The vocals are usually love/hate, but for me they were a grower and I've come to really like that over the top flair. I wasn't that into the album for a long time but it got better and better.

If you like what Tourniquet is doing musically, but don't like the vocals, then carry on and listen to Psycho Surgery and Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance because they dropped the falsettos for more traditional Thrash vocal stylings (and actually did some dual vocal stuff that's pretty neat). They aren't brutal Thrash like Opprobrium and Sacrament, but they are technical with a great sense of classical melody and experimental compositions that are really innovative and interesting. A lot of people knock Christian bands for lacking creativity, but that criticism does not apply to Tourniquet - they are (were) first rate musicians and songwriters.

I feel like this is a band @NAD should lose it over - especially the second and third albums. Not sure why, but thems my feels.

Yeah when I've scoped them out they are certainly pretty kool. Kinda have that '80s thrash with a Suicidal Tendencies thing going on. Very Los Angelean, but uhh, I mean that in a good way for once.

EDIT: This song is what an al pastor street taco sounds like.

:kickass:

Last edited:
I was talking about that song with a chicano hombre in a record store last week while he purchased Believer - Extraction From Mortality on cassette tape which is something I never thought I would see in real life.

Josh, I'll continue checking them out and let ye know.

Are you familiar with Razor? Im altering my perception of this forum based off the tournament. Pre tourney I thought everyone here listened to every damn album ever created ten times over. Now im under the perception that the most obvious of bands/albums sucked off elsewhere may be faily unknown under this canopy.

Give these fuggs a shot and bang your head!

Kinda read the initial post and nothing since so it may be a repeat.

Josh, I'll continue checking them out and let ye know.

Are you familiar with Razor? Im altering my perception of this forum based off the tournament. Pre tourney I thought everyone here listened to every damn album ever created ten times over. Now im under the perception that the most obvious of bands/albums sucked off elsewhere may be faily unknown under this canopy.

Give these fuggs a shot and bang your head!

Yep, Ken recommended both of these bands. I've bumped them up the list and am checking out these here clips.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Well, I still haven't worked through this nor gotten much of a response on my stuff. This crap takes awhile so it might not be soon. I'm about to take a research trip and then teach a summer minimester course. I still plan to do the Death Metal one later and (Un)Black after that.

Reactions: Reign in Acai
That might just be the liquor talking but if I ever do make such poor life choices I expect you to bail me out with said booze and Jerry Stories™

Probably was, but if you were to hit me up whilst in town i'd be game. I abhor this city outside of the few mile enclave in which I reside, so make sure youre within a 5mile radius.

Same goes for any of ye fuggs. Just holla, beers on me.

Sacrament-Testimony of Apocalypse

Musically good shit, you can push play and say its Testament and Id chug my beer without even questioning.

Unfortunately, lyrics are far too preachy. Feels like im in heavy metal church. Im not a fan of bands who sing about slurping Satan's shlong for a dozen songs, and same can be said about bible thumping. Wouldve been great if they kept their preachiness relegated to 1-2 tracks and spent the rest of the album dealing with life matters. Less is usually more. Never good to be one dimensional, though I reckon given the title, it could be a conceptual thing.

Sacrament-Testimony of Apocalypse

Musically good shit, you can push play and say its Testament and Id chug my beer without even questioning.

Unfortunately, lyrics are far too preachy. Feels like im in heavy metal church. Im not a fan of bands who sing about slurping Satan's shlong for a dozen songs, and same can be said about bible thumping. Wouldve been great if they kept their preachiness relegated to 1-2 tracks and spent the rest of the album dealing with life matters. Less is usually more. Never good to be one dimensional, though I reckon given the title, it could be a conceptual thing.

Maybe I'm just used to it but I've never really noticed the lyrics much on that album. The vocals aren't that clearly enunciated a lot of the time so maybe that's why.

Listening to Toxik right now as I slowly work my way through this stuff.

Death Metal thread incoming.