Opeth17's Cool and Fun Death Metal Reco Exchange

I have Annihilation of the Wicked which I've always loved. I saw them on that tour. I need to look at some of their other stuff.

Oh yeah, Nile is a must. I love all their albums from the debut up to Those Whom the Gods Detest, you can't really go wrong. The two after that are a bit iffy, but do have some good stuff too, and the latest one is really good too.

Album summary:

Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka - Crazy good debut album; it's pretty short and to the point over all. Mostly just really good death metal, with some egyptian elements here and there.

Black Seeds of Vengeance - One of my personal favourites, but probably a difficult one to start off with. The production is an aquired taste I'd say, but this is where they really found their sound imo. Most atmospheric of all the Nile albums. I mean, can't go wrong with a song called "Masturbating the War God" really.

In Their Darkened Shrines - Along with Annihilation, this is a fan favourite album. Great blend of epic tracks, and tracks that just pummels you to death. This one has one of their most epic tracks in the entire discography - "Unas, Slayer of the Gods".

Annihilation of the Wicked - Their "hit album". Most people who don't really listen to Nile just stop here for some reason, but I also definitely understand the praise for it, as it's a fantastic album in its own right.

Ithyphallic - Many fans had some problems with this album at release, including me, but it has grown since then. I think following up on AotW was the biggest problem honestly, and the production isn't quite as good. Probably one of the easier ones to get into as a new fan though.

Those Whom the Gods Detest - This one really surprised me after Ithyphallic. My favourite Nile album in terms of production, and some fantastic songs on this one, like "4th Arra of Dagon" and "Iskander D'hul Karnon".

At the Gate of Sethu - This is where Nile tried to change up some things intentionally, like changing production style and adding a new vocal style. I'd say most fans aren't very fond of this one. It does have some good stuff on it though.

What Should not be Unearthed - ...and this is where they probably thought they would play it safe instead. For me, this is the most mediocre Nile album. Their long time lead vocalist, Dallas, left after this one as well.

Vile Nilotic Rites - I think many where a bit worried about this one, but it turned out really well. With two new members, there is definitely also new energy to be found on this one. Production is once again really good, and lots of good songs on here too.

Anyway, TL;DR - I'm a Nile fanboy. Hope you enjoy something :D

Oh yeah, Nile is a must. I love all their albums from the debut up to Those Whom the Gods Detest, you can't really go wrong. The two after that are a bit iffy, but do have some good stuff too, and the latest one is really good too.

Album summary:

Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka - Crazy good debut album; it's pretty short and to the point over all. Mostly just really good death metal, with some egyptian elements here and there.

Black Seeds of Vengeance - One of my personal favourites, but probably a difficult one to start off with. The production is an aquired taste I'd say, but this is where they really found their sound imo. Most atmospheric of all the Nile albums. I mean, can't go wrong with a song called "Masturbating the War God" really.

In Their Darkened Shrines - Along with Annihilation, this is a fan favourite album. Great blend of epic tracks, and tracks that just pummels you to death. This one has one of their most epic tracks in the entire discography - "Unas, Slayer of the Gods".

Annihilation of the Wicked - Their "hit album". Most people who don't really listen to Nile just stop here for some reason, but I also definitely understand the praise for it, as it's a fantastic album in its own right.

Ithyphallic - Many fans had some problems with this album at release, including me, but it has grown since then. I think following up on AotW was the biggest problem honestly, and the production isn't quite as good. Probably one of the easier ones to get into as a new fan though.

Those Whom the Gods Detest - This one really surprised me after Ithyphallic. My favourite Nile album in terms of production, and some fantastic songs on this one, like "4th Arra of Dagon" and "Iskander D'hul Karnon".

At the Gate of Sethu - This is where Nile tried to change up some things intentionally, like changing production style and adding a new vocal style. I'd say most fans aren't very fond of this one. It does have some good stuff on it though.

What Should not be Unearthed - ...and this is where they probably thought they would play it safe instead. For me, this is the most mediocre Nile album. Their long time lead vocalist, Dallas, left after this one as well.

Vile Nilotic Rites - I think many where a bit worried about this one, but it turned out really well. With two new members, there is definitely also new energy to be found on this one. Production is once again really good, and lots of good songs on here too.

Anyway, TL;DR - I'm a Nile fanboy. Hope you enjoy something :D

I am investigating these btw. Thanks for the write-up.

Mostly working backwards from AotW (which still destroys everything imo).

Really liking Amongst the Catacombs. Some good stuff on Black Seeds and Darkened Shrines. I use to own the former at least. The latter has never really clicked with me (rather ponderous album). We shall see.

Reactions: DarkGift
I am investigating these btw. Thanks for the write-up.

Mostly working backwards from AotW (which still destroys everything imo).

Really liking Amongst the Catacombs. Some good stuff on Black Seeds and Darkened Shrines. I use to own the former at least. The latter has never really clicked with me (rather ponderous album). We shall see.

Awesome! :) It all depends on what you're after. Judging by which albums you're enjoying, I'd assume you're more into the death metal aspect of the band, rather than the more atmospheric stuff. I'm big into long, epic songs etc, so that probably explains my tastes in that regard as well, haha.

Reactions: Belac
Awesome! :) It all depends on what you're after. Judging by which albums you're enjoying, I'd assume you're more into the death metal aspect of the band, rather than the more atmospheric stuff. I'm big into long, epic songs etc, so that probably explains my tastes in that regard as well, haha.

That could be it. I'm usually into atmospheric music but maybe I get enough that in (Un)Black/Folk/Viking and want my DM to be more straight-forward. We'll see how things go after more listens. It seemed like there was a fair amount of Egyptian/atmospheric material on Amongst the Catacombs but certainly used in a more compact fashion than the other two.

I love all Nile, but AOTW is way overhyped.
Fuck, now I want to listen to Nile

Revulsed was ok.

I think one of the most underrated DM bands is Monstrosity. Fuck they have some amazing stuff.
the last album they put out was really fucking good

All hail Bolt Thrower

and those are Nile's best. Add the In the Beginning comp and youve got all the Nile you ever need

Just discovered Ex Deo. My kind of death metal. Epic touches with epic subject matter.

Discovered it in my picture up there? :loco:

It's basically the entire line-up of Kataklysm playing melodic DM about Romans. Some pretty good stuff...especially that song about Julius Caesar...this one:

Nothing these dudes have done tops Shadows and Dust though.

I love all Nile, but AOTW is way overhyped.

The fun thing is, as much as I love AotW, I have to agree. If only because a lot of people I know only listen to that album and never considers the rest of their discography. It's definitely a great album on its own though, and definitely a great album to start off with for most death metal fans imo.

I've been on a major Death Metal kick lately.

Recent spins:

Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Six Feet Under - Warpath
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
Crimson Thorn - Dissection
Death - Human
Bolt Thrower - The IVth Crusade
Bolt Thrower - War Master
Death - Leprosy
Gorguts - Considered Dead
Malevolent Creation - Stillborn
Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Living Sacrifice - Inhabit
Kataklysm - Shadows and Dust
Opprobium - Serpent Temptation (1996 version)
Mortification - Post Momentary Affliction
Opprobrium - Beyond the Unknown
Tortured Conscience - Every Knee Shall Bow
Six Feet Under - Haunted
Sacrificium - Cold Black Piece of Flesh
Living Sacrifice - Nonexistent
Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
Necroblation - Ablation of Death
Implement - Bleeding Alone
Feast Eternal - Prisons of Flesh
Deracination - Times of Atrocity
Bolt Thrower - For Victory
Mortification - Scrolls of the Megilloth
Crimson Thorn - Unearthed
Nile - Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka
Death - Symbolic
Benediction - The Grand Leveller
Kataklysm - Sorcery

OSDM is my favorite variety.

I also ordered a good bit of stuff including the first two Malevolent Creation albums, some Bolt Thrower vinyl, Kataklysm - Sorcery, and others.Y'all would be proud @DarkGift @Krigloch the Furious @Henrik Main