Opeth17's Cool and Fun Thrash Metal Reco Exchange

Finally bought that Testament - The New Order CD. Here's the list of what I'm currently investigating:

Exodus – Pleasures of the Flesh, The Impact is Imminent
Testament – Practice What You Preach
Anthrax (maybe)
Overkill
Coroner
Dark Angel
Death Angel
Kreator – Extreme Aggression
Annihilator
Nuclear Assault
Metal Church
At War
Toxik (probably gonna buy these two soon)
Agent Steel
Vio-Lence
Razor
Forbidden
Voivod
Steel Vengeance
Exciter
Helstar
Exumer
Anacrusis
Sacrifice – Forward to Termination
Sadus – Illusions
Sabbat – History of a Time to Come
Artillery – Terror Squad
Re-Animated – Condemned to Eternity
Atrophy – Socialized Hate
Agony – The First Defiance
Defiance – Product of Society
Heathen – Breaking the Silence
Faith or Fear – Punishment Area
Hallow’s Eve – Tales of Terror
Whiplash – Power and Pain
Intruder – Live to Die
Assassin – The Upcoming Terror
Flotsam and Jetsam – Doomsday for the Deceiver
Watchtower
Vektor
Assaulter (Black/Thrash - Destroyer)
Holocausto (Black/Thrash)

Any thoughts?

Is Anthrax even worth investigating? I never really got into them back in the day and I like what they stand for about as much as Erik likes the bands in the op.
I like Anthrax and have seen them countless times usually because they are on bills with a bunch of better bands.

But Among the Living is a classic. Flawless record front to back.
Lately I realized how good Sound of White Noise is ... that album aged really well considering how disliked it was upon its release. Probably
their most "mature" release.

Reactions: zerostatic
Finally bought that Testament - The New Order CD. Here's the list of what I'm currently investigating:

At War
Steel Vengeance
Exciter
Helstar
Re-Animated – Condemned to Eternity
Atrophy – Socialized Hate
Agony – The First Defiance
Defiance – Product of Society
Faith or Fear – Punishment Area
Intruder – Live to Die

Any thoughts?

Above are the ones I would stay away from ... fuck ... AT WAR ... that's one terrible band.

Kinda read the initial post and nothing since so it may be a repeat.

Violence fucking rules!!! ... saw them a few years ago on their comeback shows. They haven't lost a step.
The funny thing was they played the same venue where we had our wedding reception 13 years ago.
Where the bridal party sat was now the drum riser.

Also ... get the two Demolition Hammer releases, Tortured Existence and Epidemic of Violence ... epic!

Look at these old men schooling everyone!

Reactions: NAD
I like Anthrax and have seen them countless times usually because they are on bills with a bunch of better bands.

But Among the Living is a classic. Flawless record front to back.
Lately I realized how good Sound of White Noise is ... that album aged really well considering how disliked it was upon its release. Probably
their most "mature" release.

I suppose I can at least check them out. I'll start with Among the Living.

Above are the ones I would stay away from ... fuck ... AT WAR ... that's one terrible band.

I'm guessing this is based purely on disliking the music of those bands? Aren't Helstar and Exciter pretty well regarded?

I don't know what your stance is on Christian related lyrics in Metal, but there's a lot of good stuff on the first page if you're interested in finding some lesser known Thrash gems.

I suppose I can at least check them out. I'll start with Among the Living.

I'm guessing this is based purely on disliking the music of those bands? Aren't Helstar and Exciter pretty well regarded?

I don't know what your stance is on Christian related lyrics in Metal, but there's a lot of good stuff on the first page if you're interested in finding some lesser known Thrash gems.

I listened to Helstar, Exciter and the like back in the 80's when they came out ... never did anything for me personally. There was much better stuff out there to spend time with.

I'll check out the stuff you posted ... Lyrics / message not something I concentrate on in music where I can't make out what they are saying. Give me a riff that drills itself into my head and I am happy.

call it false thrash, ATG-core, melodic death shitz, but the first two The Haunted albums are really good to these ears. After that, whateves

I listened to Helstar, Exciter and the like back in the 80's when they came out ... never did anything for me personally. There was much better stuff out there to spend time with.

I'll check out the stuff you posted ... Lyrics / message not something I concentrate on in music where I can't make out what they are saying. Give me a riff that drills itself into my head and I am happy.

I'm not sure what kind of Thrash you favor, but I'd recommend taking a listen to early Tourniquet and Believer as they are pretty universally respected. Extremely talented musicians in both groups and rather innovative. They were both signed to major labels like Metal Blade at one point. Neither is very traditional so if you're looking for something more Bay Area or something I could recommend something else.

call it false thrash, ATG-core, melodic death shitz, but the first two The Haunted albums are really good to these ears. After that, whateves

I kind of liked these dudes back when I was first starting out...along with Shadows Fall :dopey:

i saw Shadows Fall live on the In Flames Clayman tour. Dont remember much except the singer had really long dreads