So Opeth17, educate us...

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
From The Bastard thread...

Opeth17 said:
That is what I thought too and while some of the vocals kind of meet that description, this album never steps over into the gay territory to me.
:tickled:

So what do you deem to be 'gay' out of interest? Provide a definition of the term, and then list actual bands/albums please. :Spin:

:tickled: You bastard. Re-read that carefully, I said it never quite steps over into gay territory.

Seriously though I never listen to anything with clean vocals so when it came on, I was like "what the hell is this." You can't deny there are some high ass vocals when it starts. :p Go listen to "Under a stone with no Inscription" for 24 hours then put on The Bastard and tell me you wouldn't go "hey, what the fuck." :loco:

It isn't a bad album though, its actually fairly good. Nice story and some of the vocals, like song numero 2 are cool. Remember though that clean vocals=gayness the majority of the time.

Opeth17 said:
Remember though that clean vocals=gayness the majority of the time.
gong.jpg

Haha, I can picture you going through your daily routine growling every sentence.

"Want do you want for breakfast, Opeth17?"
"CORN CHEX REARRRARRORORORO!!!!!!!!111"

:loco:

NAD said:
Haha, I can picture you going through your daily routine growling every sentence.

"Want do you want for breakfast, Opeth17?"
"CORN CHEX REARRRARRORORORO!!!!!!!!111"

:loco:

Corn chex? I might as well say it clean if I'm gonna eat that gay crap. :tickled:

Listen to J., he's a smart man.

Opeth17 said:
:tickled: You bastard. Re-read that carefully, I said it never quite steps over into gay territory.
No, I read it perfectly. I just wanted to step into your world for a second and understand the perspective of what constitutes as being 'gay'. :cool:

Go on, be a sport and list some examples of bands that you think to be gay!

I have a very limited number of cds with clean vocals and I generally don't listen to anything that I know is going to have gay high-pitched vocals. Generally anything power metal fits into that category and I assume that most proggy stuff is probably the same way. For example, Iced Earth I think it was came on the "metal" channel and I listened to about 30 seconds of it and changed it, no good. Mercyful Fate was on headbanger's ball, again, I think I'll pass. I bought Hades "Saviorself" because it was 99 cents and I needed a cd to put my metal blade order at the minimum and I've been trying to get rid of it ever since. Megadeth also has gay vocals, but good music, so I can sometimes listen to them.

Essentially, I never listened to traditional/heavy/power/thrash metal when I got into the stuff. I went into melo-death, then brutal and I tend to stick around in that area. Most things outside of it don't interest me that much, especially the aforementioned genres although I will step outside and listen to something if the music is good enough (Borknagar, Lamented Souls etc.) and if the vocals don't make me want to kill the singer of course.

Chex Mix > plain Corn Chex

When I think of great vocalists, most of the time they do exclusively clean vocals. That doesn't mean I don't love shrieks and growls though.

Oh yeah, I think most melo-deth bands sound like shite with constantly growled vocals, just doesn't fit at all. Classic example is The Jester Race, that album would be much better with clean vocals.

I must also add that I like clean vocals if done correctly. Simen Hestnaes is a good example, Mindrot, lots of doom bands. Aaron Stainthorpe from MDB has gay clean vocals. James LaBrie is gayer than Richards SImmons. The singer for Blind Guardian is totally flaming.

I do like the folky clean vocals though. You know stuff from Finntroll, Moonsorrow and those drunken viking bands. I also think Ensiferum has un-gay vocals.

Primordial and Geasa are prime examples of excellent non-gay clean vocals.

JayKeeley said:
So how old are you, Opeth17, anyway?

Probably about half your age, I'm 17. Which I think represents to some extent, why clean vocals have more impact on you. You like bands like Maiden that you grew up listening to. In my "metal career" I've grown up listening to Opeth and In Flames, then Suffocation and Deicide, then Arghoslent and Anata. So I think that makes a difference on what you get used to and what you prefer. It's simply a matter of taste and while NAD said that most of his favorite vocalists use clean vocals, most of mine use growled vocals. I think an aggressive form of music like metal, should have vocals that match that intensity and when a band comes on singing highly and happily, its usually a reflection of how their music is going to sound and its not something I enjoy. There are exceptions and I will sometimes listen to clean vocals, but I'm essentially the opposite of the guys who grew up listening to Maiden and Priest who can only sometimes listen to growled vocals, I just prefer it the other way around.

Also, J. brings up a good point. Its not that I don't listen to clean vocals at all, when they are done right I can enjoy them. Just be relaxed about it, like the guy from Winds or have a good, solid voice like Simen Hestnaes. If you sing like you have your balls in a meat grinder, I'll pass. I don't listen to much doom, but I'm sure I wouldn't mind a lot of the vocals from that genre. Its just that traditional/heavy/power and I assume prog have vocals I wouldn't enjoy. There is a difference between relaxing, calm music with subdued clean vocals and "RAISE YOUR SWORDS FOR METAL AND PULL THIS STICK OUT OF MY ASS" clean vocals. It may sound like I despise all clean vocals but the point I'm trying to make is Borknagar clean vocals>Hammerfall clean vocals.

Erik said:
Then again, I'm only 19 and I like clean vocals when clean vocals fit the music. Which I think is a reasonable course to take. :Smug:

Then again Joacim Cans' clean vocals fit the music, yet I don't like them. Interesting.

Basically, I try to take clean vocals case by case and If I like it, then I like it. Just because it fits the music doesn't mean they are good. Anyway, I think its kind of an overdone discussion. Its simply a matter of taste and preference just like production or drum sound or something, but because its vocals, its a big deal.

J. said:
I must also add that I like clean vocals if done correctly.
If done 'correctly'? So what is correct then? Death growls or blackened screams weren't used in the 70's and *mostly* 80s, so you've practically just written off 2 entire decades of music. So since you got into metal 12 years ago, where exactly have you focused on anything pre-1992 out of interest?