Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I give thee:

SWALLOW THE SUN - The Morning Never Came

morning_cover.jpg

...and they're on a 'major' label no less. :tickled:

URL: http://www.swallowthesun.net/releases.php

Finnish death/doom band (demo was released by our friends Firebox), but this, their official debut is out on Olympic Records (aka CM).

I've only listened to it once so far, but it's really good and should appeal to several people here. Anyone heard it already?

Here is a sample of "Under the Waves": http://www.firebox.fi/records/sample/Swallow The Sun - Under The Waves.mp3

In summary, what you're dealing with here is October Tide / early Katatonia type doom, good death vocals, very clean instrumentation (polished production), and LOTS of dark atmosphere accentuated (not drowned out) by ambient synths.

It is very Swedish sounding, if you get my drift. Also, and here's the real puncher....they sound like EVERGREY....!!!

...yeah, yeah, I know I'm krazy....but if you took early Evergrey, slowed them down to a mid-pace death doom stomp, and replaced the vocals with growls, you'd get something similar to this, particularly in atmosphere.

Fans of 'death/doom' and 'dark prog' will like this album. There are occasional clean vocals too which provide the obligatory diversion to monotony.

Oh yeah, the US release has a bonus cover of "Solitude" by Candlemass. Interesting tid bit: This song was originally going to feature Albert Magus of Reverend Bizarre, but the bastard label decided not to use that version, and so it will only ever be released in Europe as a B-side to a 7" EP.

But we always knew labels were gay, so no big surprise. OK go check these guys out, you have my blessing.

I heard part of it once, sounded pretty good... but I'm off and on when it comes to death/doom, and was off at the time I heard it. I'll check it out again, and I'm really interested now that you mention the Solitude bonus track, but also really saddened that its not that version you mention with Magus :cry:

Chromatose said:
but I'm off and on when it comes to death/doom
Same here, a lot of it I just can't get into, even if I recognize that it's great. Like Mar de Grises, I NEVER listen to that album, but I know that it rules. The only group I listen to regularly is Sunn O))).

I'll give this a listen tonight at home, I hate these work "speakers."

Swallow The Sun is great band. They've also recorded a new album, but there's no release date for it yet, but I think it's still way ahead. New single, Forgive Her, should be out within few months and will also include Reverend Bizarre-Albert as a quest...

Not so recommanded , it's a bit too melodeath-ish (see what I mean?) for my tastes . Listen before buying , it's objectively solid on its genre though.

I'm glad I posted this thread, I wasn't sure what the general consensus would be but it looks like it's getting an all round thumbs up.

I suppose I better review it now!

I'm interested to hear Demonspell's thoughts actually.....I listed the Evergrey reference just for him. :)

Dunno, I've just read lots of reviews on it, and they all mentioned MWB.

EDIT: Digital Metal for one.

Pretty cool sample. Sounds like something I'd never listen to but would say "yeah these dudes rock" whenever asked about the dust covered CD on my shelf. Like Rapture, Mar de Grises, etc.

One Inch Man said:
Pretty cool sample. Sounds like something I'd never listen to but would say "yeah these dudes rock" whenever asked about the dust covered CD on my shelf.

Yeah, death/doom is not a genre that you just throw on. You need to be in a certain mood. As much as I love Orphaned Land, I can't just sling on El Norra Alila on a whim...although these days I'm bathing in OL music. Allah u Akbar, shalom!

This one is pretty slick and polished, rather up beat at times. The dark synthy feel to it is very cool - lots of ambience.

I guess I can sort of see the comparisons to slow melodic-death....like I said, it sounds like a slowed down Evergrey with death vocals.

Like Rapture, Mar de Grises, etc.

Rapture is easy listening, Mar de Grises (or any funeral doom for that matter) really demands manic depression, heh. Still, you can't deny how great it is..."To See Saturn Fall" (track #2) is one of the greatest songs EVAR!