Some Doom metal realizations......

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Been going through lots of doom these past days.

1. Evoken really is not that good. Average doom at best. I like the second one and Quietus OK, but there is much better out there. This band just doesn't do much for me. And yeah, I can't get into the new one.

2. Esoteric are fucking awesome. Everything about them is so good and in place.

3. Mourning Beloveth's Dust is one of the best death/doom albums I've heard. "All Hope is Pleading" is smply beautiful.

4. Morgion's Solinari is the best American death/doom metal release. And Among Majestic Ruin rules as well. I didn't like the new one that much. Not enough death in the death/doom.

5. That one dISEMBOWELMENT album is really, really good stuff.

6. Cephalic Carnage's Halls of Amenti should be heard by all. Not grind, DOOM!

7. Arcane Sun and Church of Misery are essential.

8. Katatonia's BMD is great. The debut is just pretty good.

Thanks for playing.

so what's your point? That I have to like it?

I respect Candlemass, but that doesn't change the fact that they suck.

In doom recommendation threads, I've seen you recommend nearly all those bands, so don't go elitist and high and mighty now.

forgive me, would one of the genre nazis please tell me how to categorize the above bands in a proper category for future reference.

NAD is rght, genre naming is stupid, because people get all nitpicky.

J. said:
3. Mourning Beloveth's Dust is one of the best death/doom albums I've heard.
Never managed to skip a single song on that album, always have to listen to it all the way through. Particularly "The Mountains Are Mine" = :worship: :worship:

J. said:
4. Morgion's Solinari is the best American death/doom metal release.
Can't wait to hear the first songs of Morgion aftermath Keen Of The Crow. So far, there's only rehearsal demos without vocals. 7'' picture disc to be recorded this fall. :headbang:

Damn I'm smooth. :dopey:

Doom has a real knack for boring the pants off me, even a lot of the stuff I like. Gotta be in the right mood for them shitz, give me stoner instead. I'll take molten riffs, 4 minute songs, and lyrics about hotrods any day of the week over this crap.

snow2fall said:
Can't wait to hear the first songs of Morgion aftermath Keen Of The Crow. So far, there's only rehearsal demos without vocals. 7'' picture disc to be recorded this fall. :headbang:

I did not know this.

Thank you for the first meaningful response in this entire thread.

J. said:
Thank you for the first meaningful response in this entire thread.
No point in know-it-all discussions about genre definitions.

You can listen to some KotC demos at: http://www.myspace.com/keenofthecrow They used to have more up at soundclick.com, but it seems they're all gone. KotC are still looking for a singer while the first US tour dates are already set. If things go according to plan, I might see them at the Belgium Doom Night next year. :cool:

One Inch Man said:
Doom has a real knack for boring the pants off me, even a lot of the stuff I like. Gotta be in the right mood for them shitz, give me stoner instead.

I thought genre naming was stupid? :confused:

One Inch Man said:
Damn I'm smooth. :dopey:

Doom has a real knack for boring the pants off me, even a lot of the stuff I like. Gotta be in the right mood for them shitz, give me stoner instead. I'll take molten riffs, 4 minute songs, and lyrics about hotrods any day of the week over this crap.

Stoner/stoner doom > All.

I have this friend who is basically only into classic rock stuff, and he's sadly really closed-minded when it comes to other music. We were cruising out to the coast yesterday and I put on "Sky Valley"... I expected him to say "WTF NO" within 10 minutes, but to my surprise he listened to it the whole way through and liked it. OWNED.

Can anyone tell me when that "Stormcrowfleet" vinyl meant to be out again? And who's releasing it? I'm paranoid about missing it.

And yeah, Dust rules. I think it's much better than any My Dying Bride I've ever heard. They have a new one out too at the moment, wouldn't mind hearing it.

Doom said:
Can anyone tell me when that "Stormcrowfleet" vinyl meant to be out again? And who's releasing it? I'm paranoid about missing it.

Haha I think you and I would get along very well.... this release is on my mind EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.

So anyway, BloodFireDeath is releasing it in 500 heavy copies in December :)

I CANT WAIIIIT