My first taste of Novembers Doom

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I just got the promo for Novembers Doom 'The Pale Haunt Departure', and I have to say I'm impressed. They are much heavier than I expected. Why didn't anybody tell me about them before this.

The artwork is really cool on this one.

They're pretty good. "The Knowing" is their best IMO. That one is a great example of newer American death/doom. I wasn't crazy about their album released a couple of years ago, forget the name.

I feel these guys have the potential to release a monumental album. Maybe with a steady line-up and The End's support, they can do it.

Brilliant band. I have all their albums. The best 'straight-up' death/doom band on the planet is Reverend Bizarre, but Novembers Doom probably follow closely. They're not really all that new either, just remained very underground.

I saw them live supporting Agalloch. Like J said, "The Knowing" is excellent and probably their best (I've yet to hear the new one). The instrumental intro to that album is SO emotional and that's how they started off the gig.

I'd agree if some members of the band didn't feel that they have outgrown, or at least don't exactly fit within, the term doom, read their forum for more details. What I can say is that they're a great band and have improved with each album IMO (again, haven't heard the new one yet)

Well, what are they then? Death? I suppose they're not that doomy, you're right. I mean, if you like Opeth you're going to like ND, but they know how not to convolute their music and instead play on these cool, emotional melody structures.

They should just call themselves Novembers Death. :loco:

JayKeeley said:
Well, what are they then? Death? I suppose they're not that doomy, you're right. I mean, if you like Opeth you're going to like ND, but they know how not to convolute their music and instead play on these cool, emotional melody structures.

They should just call themselves Novembers Death. :loco:

I was referring to you calling RB "doom/death." :tickled:

JayKeeley said:
RB are not doom/death? Then what are they?????

That's a good fucking question that can only be summed up in 3 words: PURE FUCKING DOOM.

For the most part, I would call them Traditional, but at the same time being very progressive w/i the genre, throwing in some Heavy Metal here and there, with a the very occasional death scream thrown in for flavor.:worship:

JayKeeley said:
Occasional death scream? Harbinger of Metal has death vox, you realize. Shit, they even do Burzum covers.

Yes, that's why it's called a cover. And Albert doesnt kick in with the screams until the end of the song, the rest is much clean vox. They don;t use much screaming whatsoever. Just the occasional sprinkle here and there, like I said.

Yeah, I suppose. So anyway, I want to hear the new Novembers Doom! I listened to "To Welcome the Fade" a little while ago, and I forgot how awesome it is.

Then I listened to their cover of "Revelations (Mother Earth)" and it sucked. So tonight, I have concluded that 98.76% of the time, cover songs, in general, suck cracker ass -- especially when death vocals replace clean.

Just listening to "Collapse of the Fallen Throe"....all I can say is WOW. The death vocals have never sounded smoother.

The cover art rules too:

ndpalehaunt.gif

Novembers Doom and Reverend Bizarre are two bands I've been needing to scope out for some time now. If somebody hooks me up with some mp3s or CD-Rs They. Will be. My nigga. [/Mr. Rogers]