Opeth17's Cool and Fun Thrash Metal Reco Exchange

Oh yeah I believe in way more ridiculous shit to be sure. Tolkien and vampires and thrash and Santa. But I don't think that any of it is actually real.

it does sound ridiculous, but lots of beliefs do such as past lives, zodiac signs, summoning demons, the amityville horror was real, thrash is good, wokeness, and pineapple not going on pizza. the world is cookoo
lol this is the worst defence speech of religion I have ever heard

"well yeah sure its dumb as hell but other things are dumb too!!"

Reactions: einride
also, arguably, pineapple pizza is responsible for comparatively very few murders, rapes, wars, genocides and oppressions

Reactions: zerostatic
Thx Mike. Eric Tomasetti clearly needs some deep loving but I wasn’t about to share any of mine.

Yea what tf crawled up this kid's asshole? If these two were in the same room, dude woukd be quiet as a mouth, dont even front behind a keyboard smfh.

Anyhow, good thread, interesting spiel re: your faith.

Listen to Morbid Saint, they slay.

also, arguably, pineapple pizza is responsible for comparatively very few murders, rapes, wars, genocides and oppressions

Pineapple + Pepperoni legit a GOAT Tier combo.

Opeth17, are you familiar with the writings of Meister Eckhart?

No, I didn't delve too deeply into post-schism Roman Catholic writers. I focused my attention more on the Early Church Fathers (especially the Apostolic Fathers such as St. Ignatius of Antioch) and I now read some more modern Orthodox saints. I only know that he is associated with mysticism, of which we have a long tradition in the Eastern Church.

I'm sure another thread can be created, but what are everyone's beliefs? My journey has actually been the exact opposite of Josh's

Were you one of those non-denominational types?

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Were you one of those non-denominational types?

Born Methodist, then parents moved to Baptist while I was still a youngin.

My mom was a strong Christian Woman (Corpus Christi!). She would send my sister and I to VBS and various camps. I got baptized when I was 10 or so, because that's what they wanted. But honestly, I never felt strong about those beliefs. I felt foolish singing hymns. And when people raise their hands to the heavens during hymnal worship, I would chuckle.

I married a Catholic, but she was hardly the church going type. So we remained Heathens over the years, though we tried going to church a few times, but it didn't stick.

I dont agree with the "when I die I will rot" crowd, but it seems ridiculous to me to believe in the christian god, while discounting all the other gods. Who is to say the egyptians weren't right in their worship of Ra? Or maybe Valhalla really is a place of slain warriors? Or Santa lives in the north pole? Or maybe we are in the Matrix?

The Truth is out there /mulder

Born Methodist, then parents moved to Baptist while I was still a youngin.

My mom was a strong Christian Woman (Corpus Christi!). She would send my sister and I to VBS and various camps. I got baptized when I was 10 or so, because that's what they wanted. But honestly, I never felt strong about those beliefs. I felt foolish singing hymns. And when people raise their hands to the heavens during hymnal worship, I would chuckle.

My only religious influence growing up was a Baptist grandmother and I was completely turned off by practically everything about it. It seemed like there was a lot missing and now I know that there was because they threw away 90% of authentic Christianity. There's very little going on there that actually looks like what Christians were thinking, saying, or doing in the 1st century. This is the first thing I had to understand to ever give Christianity a chance. There are beliefs and practices that are demonstrably authentic to Christianity and then there are myriad spin-offs on a spectrum from kind of close in some ways but fundamentally wrong in others (Roman Catholicism) to completely insane and basically a new religion (Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.).

I married a Catholic, but she was hardly the church going type. So we remained Heathens over the years, though we tried going to church a few times, but it didn't stick.

I dont agree with the "when I die I will rot" crowd, but it seems ridiculous to me to believe in the christian god, while discounting all the other gods. Who is to say the egyptians weren't right in their worship of Ra? Or maybe Valhalla really is a place of slain warriors? Or Santa lives in the north pole? Or maybe we are in the Matrix?

The Truth is out there /mulder

If you believe there is some kind of reality beyond the purely material then sorting through various truth claims is part of the process. Modern westerners have been deeply imbued with relativism so I get where this perspective comes from, but I think there are ways to discern which of these claims are true. There is overlap in some ways, but also elements of mutual exclusivity. Interestingly, as an Orthodox Christian I don't have to deny the existence of these other "gods" as spiritual beings, only that they are not the Creator who is solely worthy of worship. There's an interesting podcast on this called the "Lord of Spirits" that I've listened to a bit that has been really helpful on this topic.

My only religious influence growing up was a Baptist grandmother and I was completely turned off by practically everything about it. It seemed like there was a lot missing and now I know that there was because they threw away 90% of authentic Christianity. There's very little going on there that actually looks like what Christians were thinking, saying, or doing in the 1st century. This is the first thing I had to understand to ever give Christianity a chance. There are beliefs and practices that are demonstrably authentic to Christianity and then there are myriad spin-offs on a spectrum from kind of close in some ways but fundamentally wrong in others (Roman Catholicism) to completely insane and basically a new religion (Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.).

One of my major turnoffs to the Church (not necessarily the religion) was that churches are there to make money. They are a business. That in and of itself just seems wrong to me. Jesus convinced all those who followed to give up worldly possessions, yet here we have churches wanting money to build a gym in the church property. GTFO. One only needs to look at Joel Osteen to see the hypocrisy.

Another problem was the (fairly recent) PC moves the church has made. The Bible is rigid, and not a living document. Tons of the hardline stances the old church had suddenly became soft and acceptable with regards to abortion, female pastors and LGBTQ, among others.

I guess they were worried about losing their congregation.

If you believe there is some kind of reality beyond the purely material then sorting through various truth claims is part of the process. Modern westerners have been deeply imbued with relativism so I get where this perspective comes from, but I think there are ways to discern which of these claims are true. There is overlap in some ways, but also elements of mutual exclusivity. Interestingly, as an Orthodox Christian I don't have to deny the existence of these other "gods" as spiritual beings, only that they are not the Creator who is solely worthy of worship. There's an interesting podcast on this called the "Lord of Spirits" that I've listened to a bit that has been really helpful on this topic.

I dated a girl who was convinced of the Life Path/Numerology belief system. It's crazy, but something like that seems more plausible to me. In fact it seems more plausible than both the God vs Devil narrative and the Big Bang

Reactions: Reign in Acai
One of my major turnoffs to the Church (not necessarily the religion) was that churches are there to make money. They are a business. That in and of itself just seems wrong to me. Jesus convinced all those who followed to give up worldly possessions, yet here we have churches wanting money to build a gym in the church property. GTFO. One only needs to look at Joel Osteen to see the hypocrisy.

Another problem was the (fairly recent) PC moves the church has made. The Bible is rigid, and not a living document. Tons of the hardline stances the old church had suddenly became soft and acceptable with regards to abortion, female pastors and LGBTQ, among others.

I guess they were worried about losing their congregation.

The whole prosperity gospel farce is an outgrowth of poor evangelical theology and practice and, as you've noted, completely inauthentic to Christianity.

The Secular Humanist Associations™ such as the Episcopal church, United Methodists, Evangelical Lutherans, etc. etc. have very little to do with Christianity either. They are indeed conforming to the world in a sad and ineffective attempt to be relevant. We don't do any of the things you mentioned there.

All of this is occurring primarily within Protestantism which, as a whole, was way off from the start and is only birthing new deviations seemingly every day. I would argue that much of the problem actually lies in the fact they practically worship(ped) a book rather than having a living tradition.

I dated a girl who was convinced of the Life Path/Numerology belief system. It's crazy, but something like that seems more plausible to me. In fact it seems more plausible than both the God vs Devil narrative and the Big Bang

Never really seen much in this new age kind of stuff, at least as any comprehensive world view. I get why people searching for spiritual answers find these things appealing when surrounded by the dry desert of Protestantism.

The whole prosperity gospel farce is an outgrowth of poor evangelical theology and practice and, as you've noted, completely inauthentic to Christianity.

The Secular Humanist Associations™ such as the Episcopal church, United Methodists, Evangelical Lutherans, etc. etc. have very little to do with Christianity either. They are indeed conforming to the world in a sad and ineffective attempt to be relevant. We don't do any of the things you mentioned there.

Word. I gotta say, it's refreshing to hear that at least some form of True Christianity still stands. Even though I am not of that faith, it still pisses me off when I see a church dumb down some of its core tenets to appease the increasingly hostile PC wokies.

Never really seen much in this new age kind of stuff, at least as any comprehensive world view. I get why people searching for spiritual answers find these things appealing when surrounded by the dry desert of Protestantism.

I'm no expert or really even a novice in any of this stuff. It was interesting how devoted she was to the Life Path thing, though. But then again, she claimed to be an empath and claimed to have spirits living in her house. So....

Cool chick, though. Good people.

At the end of the day....

cant-be-worried-about-that-shit-life-goes-on-man_grande.jpg

Reactions: SonOfNun
Checking out Agent Steel now.

Did anyone actually click on any of my video links? I'm thinking about investing some time to make a thread like this for Death Metal but if no one cares I can probably save time and ask Ken what I should listen to :lol:

@Hell Mike Surely you've heard Incubus/Opprobrium right?