Thrash

swizzlenuts

i'm sciencing as fast as i can
Apr 21, 2003
Arkham
I need some help to get into thrash, mainly becuase I am pretty ignorant when it comes to it. I had a notion for a while that thrash needed a huge hook or catchy as fuck riff to be good thrash, but after listening to more death/thrash like Pestilence, Megaslaugher, Repugnant, or newer thrash like Ares Kingdom, Gama Bomb, or Toxic Holocaust, I can see it's much more than that. The simplicity of the chord changes, or the way one riff feeds off of another to an ultimate build up to the solo. Kind of like how Slayer's incoherent riffing followed by an incoherent solo that follows the riff, rather than some catchy bluesy solo. I need to get over this shitty notion and start working on building my Thrash background.

Albums I'm sold on:
Megadeth - Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good
Metallica - Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets.
Slayer - Show No Mercy, Haunting the Chapel, and Hell Awaits
Sabbat (UK) - A History of A Time to Come (this took a long time to get into)
Sodom - In the Sign of Evil
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill and Coma of Souls
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Turbo - Last Warrior

That's it.

So to sum it up, What are the bands that I need to check out because they were absolutely essential to the evolution from Heavy Metal to Death or Black Metal. I'd also like an explination why, rather then just name dropping hundreds of Thrash bands, because that is pointless and I'm bound to skip over most of them. This will keep the recommendations to a minimum, and I can easily figure out the logical steps from Heavy Metal to Death Metal.

I'm looking at you Dodens and Hell Mike mostly, but I know others that I can't remember either grew up with it or have a good understanding of it.

Thanks in advance, and hopefully I can get a good understanding of this vast genre. :kickass:

EDIT: I had Obsessed by Cruelty instead of In the Sign of Evil :erk:

I won't bother mentioning albums not listed by bands listed, but you've missed a few. Anways, here we go:

OVERKILL - Taking Over (Personal favourite) and Feel the Fire (Most heavy metal oriented album, second favourite)

Absolutely essential in a way few other bands I will list are, one of the best live bands I have ever seen. The CD version of Wrecking Everything Live would be another good palce to start since it has most mega hits. The DVD has even more, but also more filler so for a first try go for the compressed version. DD and Blitz will fuckin krieg you away and walk all over you, prepare to be E! Liminated! Deny the fucking cross.

Testament - The Legacy
Brim fucken smashed with mega hits as well, goes in the same folder as Kill 'em All, Bonded by Blood and Show No Mercy plus it holds one of the best vocal performances thrash-wise in my opinion since it's so varied, well-sung and well-fitting. Testament were never as good again, but they have more good albums.

Deströyer 666 - Terror Abraxas, Unchain the Wolves
Not quite thrash, but also not quite black- or death metal but you should love it.

OK gotta go now but more on this later, thrash in hell HUAH!

Also ask again when you're looking for more underground and less essential, still lots of gems to be found.

I know and love Destroyer 666, but this belabors my point, I've picked and choosed what thrash bands I like, and I haven't gotten a full understanding of the, I'm sure, wonderful genre. Cheers for your recommendations though.

I know I'm missing a few Megadeth releases, the first few Kreator, and a lot of Sodom, but I'm hoping to force myself into a kick of Thrash.

Get this one:

Tankard - The Beauty and the Beer

It was released this year (or was it last year?), excellent thrash album from a classic band. Tons of riffage and stupid lyrics, making this album amazing. That's the kind of music I put in my car. I hate comparing to other bands, I'll just say that it is 80s/90s thrash with a 21st century top notch production.

seeing how i also am not a huge fan of thrash, perhaps these might help. i really enjoy these:

Sepultura - Beaneath the Remains, Arise, CHaos AD

Some consider the first two borderline death metal. either way, they all rule. easily my fave thrash band. very chunky riffs with awesome vocals. i suck at describing thrash. oh, and dont listen to the fools who dont understand chaos ad

Megadeth

it took me a long time to get into this band, but i am really enjoying everything up to youthanasia.

skyclad - wayward sons of mother earth, burnt offering for the bone idol, jonahs ark

kind of an extension of sabbat with for folk leanings, but still very much thrash. better than sabbat IMO

THe Haunted - s/t

i know a lot hate this album, but i think it's great. fast, violent, and fuckin metal.

Sepultura - "Schizophrenia!", "Beneath the Remains" and "Arise"

By far some of the best thrash ever made, in the vein of Kreator, Slayer and Dark Angel, which brings me to the next on the list, Dark Angel!

Dark Angel - "Darkness Descends"

Pretty simple thrash, but fun in just that respect.

Artillery - By Inheritace

Not sure if this is the best of their stuff, but it's the one I'm the most familiar with, and I think it absolutely rules! Such an incredible sense of melody and mind blowing riffs! It's like a combination of Coroner and Master of Puppets.

Destruction - Infernal Overkill

Awesome kool, and way more influential on black metal than most people think. Pay extra attention to that unique sense of melody! The production is kinda thin, but you don't seem like too big a fag, so it shouldn't be a prob for you.

Have I finally yelled at you enough on AIM for you to decide to actually know what you're talking about in Thrash Metal? Also, I don't feel like writing explanations right now, so I'll list bands and explain later.

Heathen
Coroner
Cyclone
Vio-Lence
Mutilator
Sarcofago
Sepultura
Sacrifice
Razor
Infernal Majesty
Exciter (Speed Metal, but you should like it and it goes with the Canadian theme of the previous 3)
Whiplash
Hades (Power/Speed/Thrash)
Morbid Saint
Overkill
Hallows Eve
Holy Terror
Incubus
Paradox
Poison
SADUS
Voivod
Blood Feast
Chakal
Exumer

I won't bother mentioning albums not listed by bands listed, but you've missed a few. Anways, here we go:

OVERKILL - Taking Over (Personal favourite) and Feel the Fire (Most heavy metal oriented album, second favourite) (Feel the Fire definitely, along with Under the Influence and The Years of Decay)

Absolutely essential in a way few other bands I will list are, one of the best live bands I have ever seen. The CD version of Wrecking Everything Live would be another good palce to start since it has most mega hits. The DVD has even more, but also more filler so for a first try go for the compressed version. DD and Blitz will fuckin krieg you away and walk all over you, prepare to be E! Liminated! Deny the fucking cross.

Testament - The Legacy (I would also suggest Practice What You Preach)
Brim fucken smashed with mega hits as well, goes in the same folder as Kill 'em All, Bonded by Blood and Show No Mercy plus it holds one of the best vocal performances thrash-wise in my opinion since it's so varied, well-sung and well-fitting. Testament were never as good again, but they have more good albums.

Wrath - Nothing to Fear
Released in 1987: I like suggesting this one because well... the song structures tend to be extremely varied and there are just some great riffs throughout as well as solos. No, the singer doesn't sound all that great, but his melody and sense of timing make up for it I think. How does this fit in with the evolution of Metal and/or it's sub-genres? Hrm... I'm not sure if I can properly articulate why I feel it does. It's important to me, but the overall impact may be significantly less than some other well-known acts. Ok, so I can't really define the importance of Wrath in the scheme of metal, BUT I have given some songs to Hell Mike/footbalm and maybe he could help me out here.. :erk: Or, I could just u/l some songs for you.

That's the only one I will suggest since most of everything else will more than likely get covered by others and Wrath are way overlooked it seems to me. *shrug*

Sepultura - "Schizophrenia!", "Beneath the Remains" and "Arise"

By far some of the best thrash ever made, in the vein of Kreator, Slayer and Dark Angel, which brings me to the next on the list, Dark Angel!

Dark Angel - "Darkness Descends"

Pretty simple thrash, but fun in just that respect.

Artillery - By Inheritace

Not sure if this is the best of their stuff, but it's the one I'm the most familiar with, and I think it absolutely rules! Such an incredible sense of melody and mind blowing riffs! It's like a combination of Coroner and Master of Puppets.

Destruction - Infernal Overkill

Awesome kool, and way more influential on black metal than most people think. Pay extra attention to that unique sense of melody! The production is kinda thin, but you don't seem like too big a fag, so it shouldn't be a prob for you.
Agreeed on all of these, but don't just call Darkness Descends 'pretty simple thrash', it's fucking violence in audial form; feels like: Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death, Kreator - Pleasure to Kill, a bulldozer through your brain etc. Quite possibly the very best thrash metal album ever so GET IT.

From the no-good list below I especially emphasize Heathen - Victims of Deception for being a prime example of the more melodic side at it's best, and I'd like to add Forbidden to that, albeit a bit more technical and maybe with an even better vocalist. Forbidden Evil has their greatest hits but Twisted into Form has more of them, so either one works.

And finally:
Have I finally yelled at you enough on AIM for you to decide to actually know what you're talking about in Thrash Metal? Also, I don't feel like writing explanations right now, so I'll list bands and explain later.

Heathen
Coroner
Cyclone
Vio-Lence
Mutilator
Sarcofago
Sepultura
Sacrifice
Razor
Infernal Majesty
Exciter (Speed Metal, but you should like it and it goes with the Canadian theme of the previous 3)
Whiplash
Hades (Power/Speed/Thrash)
Morbid Saint
Overkill
Hallows Eve
Holy Terror
Incubus
Paradox
Poison
SADUS
Voivod
Blood Feast
Chakal
Exumer
Great list and great way of just plain ignoring what he asked for. Cheers, mate!

Addition: Tofigure out the steps heavy->thrash->black metal, listen to Sodom's In the Sign of Evil. It's their best release, but their best THRASH release is Agent Orange, so get both.

If you necessarily need more steps, try these:

NWOBHM+punk=motörhead->bathory, sodom->Celtic Frost->all thrash, done.

And you left out Venom.

I left out a whole load of other things as well, but I think he has enough for now. Really good recommendations in this thread so others might have some use of it as well - which is why you should elaborate on that fine list of yours and pick an album per band or so to narrow it down a bit and point people in the right direction right away.

These have been mentioned, but I will emphasize them with further reasoning.

Holy Terror- "Submission/Mind Wars" (lately I've only seen them available together but either are excellent)
A very unique sense of songwriting and melody, despite being entirely thrashy.

Morbid Saint- "Spectrum of Death"
Fucking kills. Up there with Kreator with their best moments, just such heavy agression yet still capturing that atmosphere that makes thrash rule. Headbang inducing and mandatory.

Overkill- the ones HellMike already mentioned, and I'll add "The Years of Decay." These guys seriously define thrash on many levels.

I'm lazy as shit, but I can at least do the album thing, and just see what happens from there.

Heathen - either really, I prefer Breaking The Silence, Hell Mike prefers Victims, so whatever
Coroner - Punishment For Decadence is their wholesale thrashiest effort, though No More Color is extremely good while getting technical and retaining the balls. Mental Vortex is also excellent (and R.I.P.), but is not typical by any means
Cyclone - Brutal Destruction. Very simple highly riff-oriented thrash with solid vocals
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare. Very raw and loose feeling. Intense riffing and chaotic vocal delivery
Mutilator - Immortal Force. One of the defining albums of the Brazilian scene. I haven't listened to this in a while so I can't give a more specific description
Sarcofago - INRI and Rotting, the latter being more specifically deathrash, with INRI being very important in the development of Metal.
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains. Intense, brutal riffing. You should already know this though.
Sacrifice - Forward To Termination. This seems to generally be considered as one of the most riff-oriented Thrash albums you're going to find. Very heavy and powerful, yet also quite intricate. Their debut, Torment In Fire would be another point to highlight in the evolution of Metal.
Razor - Violent Restitution is just completely balls out riffing, no nonsense whatsoever, and Sheepdog's vocals on this one are absolutely nuts, shrieking and screaming all over the place.
Infernal Majesty - None Shall Defy. Very sinister and dark, points of reference probably being Possessed and Sacrifice.
Exciter - Heavy Metal Maniac and Violence And Force. Extremely catchy riff based Speed Metal with the occasional Trad and Thrash(y) flares.
Whiplash - Power And Pain is a pure speed assault, with very little in the way of relenting. Whiplash formed not long after the initial surge of Thrash bands, so their sound is relatively typical to the early output of such bands as Metallica, Megadeth, and Exodus, but more sheer speed picking, and very aggressive vocals.
Hades - Resisting Success. Featuring the superb vocals of (then) future Watchtower vocalist Alan Tecchio with some excellent falsetto work, Hades has quite an ear for tasteful songwriting that runs the gamut of the lighter side of the Metal spectrum, with some interesting lyrics.
Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death obviously. If you've ever wanted a second asshole, just listen to this.
Overkill - Taking Over. Another of the early Thrash bands (arguably the first in fact), and this being their second album is still highly typical of that early post-NWOBHM/punk Speed Metal sound. Bobby's voice is in top form here as well.
Hallows Eve - Tales Of Terror. Another relic of the early days of Thrash, though way out in the fields of Georgia. Ranging from typical Thrash assault like Plunging To Megadeth to Trad-tinged Speed, with some other interesting points. I should give this one a listen again, it's been a while.
Holy Terror - Mind Wars. FUCKING SPEED RIFFING AWESOME FUCKING VOCALS AMONG THE BEST THRASH YOU'LL EVER HEAR JUST LISTEN SRSLY
Incubus - Serpent Temptation. Bordering on that early proto-death formula of Sacrifice and Possessed.
Paradox - Product Of Imagination. They liked early Metallica a lot. Heresy (the second album) is really their own work, however, becoming more melodic Speed/Thrash, and is a very interesting piece of music.
Poison - Further Down Into The Abyss. Extremely raw, primitive Black/Death/Thrash from Germany. I really can't think of anything else that sounds quite like this.
SADUS - Swallowed In Black. Another highly riff-intensive album that doesn't fucking relent.
Voivod - Killing Technology is probably their closest to the standard Thrash sound, though Voivod have NEVER been the standard anything.
Blood Feast - Kill For Pleasure. Think Pleasure To Kill done by an American band I guess.
Chakal - Abominable Anno Domini. Another one I haven't played in a while. Probably the most clearly Thrash album from the Brazilian scene short of MX, Mutilator's Into The Strange, and maybe Executor, though still certainly containing that distinctly Brazilian psychosis.
Exumer - Possessed By Fire. Riff after riff after riff.

If you like riffs: listen to the albums for which I specifically mentioned RIFFS. Namely Sepultura, Exumer, Sacrifice, Sadus, Vio-Lence, Razor, Cyclone.

Okay thanks guys, I'm going to check out Overkill, Sepultura, Heathen, and Dark Angel first.

EDIT: I plan to take it pretty slow.

Infernal Majesty - None Shall Defy. Very sinister and dark, points of reference probably being Possessed and Sacrifice.

Really? I always felt they were goofy posers playing really good thrash.

Either way, great reco.

vio-lence's voclas are an acquired taste.

not straight up thrash, but machine head's Burn My Eyes is pretty good

maybe The Crown's Deathrace King

Really? I always felt they were goofy posers playing really good thrash.

So I've heard but I've always had a hard time believing it because Necuratul is just so damn right. None Shall Defy is close to as good as thrash gets. It feels evil in the way of Hell Awaits, but the songwriting is extremely good and unlike all others I can think if and the album is very varied. A definite must-have.