OK SO WHO OF YOU WlMPS AND POSERS LIKE SWORDMASTER

if AA aren't death metal, what are they? as far as I'm concerned, AA is death metal with lyrics about viking and shit.

They are death metal, just not the style I thought we were talking about (Nile-esque stuff). If you compare AA and Nile, theres a huuuge difference.

AA aren't crazy death metal a la Nile / Morbid Angel. Their music is straightforward and melodic. "Versus the World" wasn't exactly worlds away from power metal either, hence why so many power metal fans love AA.

@Erik - would I like Swordmaster? Your description turns me on a little...yes, in the way we all know....any samples anywhere? (I already STFW).

Erik said:
:lol: you must be thinking of something COMPLETELY different.
You reviewed some Viking Crown didn't you?

They sold out completely a few years ago and became Deathstars, one of the biggest treacheries to metal in its history. Oh well.
THAT's who became Deathstars?

The Chasm is more death metal I love, because it has huge helpings of old-school metal feeling and some pretty transcendent atmosphere = win.
Yeah, like their newest album. I like it a lot for that exact reason, or the way PJ described it in his review. Perhaps I'll get back to the other one I have because I remember not liking it that much at all...

Erik said:
Eh :)

"Deathrider" is not on that album but on an EP called Deathrider 2000. It's conceivable that there's a re-release of the album with the EP tacked on though, but I know nothing about that.
Yeah you're ríght, I mixed it up. Crush to dust was perhaps the track I meant... bah nevermind, it's gone now, I "traded" it in my first and last deal with a phillepanese guy, and of course got nothing back

JayKeeley said:
AA aren't crazy death metal a la Nile / Morbid Angel. Their music is straightforward and melodic. "Versus the World" wasn't exactly worlds away from power metal either, hence why so many power metal fans love AA.

exactly

I think we all can agree that Amon Amarth sucks the donkey's feet. (Alternatively: I'm not a big fan of them).

Erik, get the following Suffocation songs: Liege Of Inveracity, Habitual Infamy, Bloodchurn, Demise Of The Clone, Deceit and Depths Of Depravity. If you don't like any of those, then I'm afraid that you're a girl :\

You all need to STFU and seek out Reverend Bizarre's Goddes of Doom.

It is THE doom anthem.

If you do not immediately try and locate this song, you are seriously missing out and suck 12" my pals cock.

Erik said:
I tried to be funny, but failed

Urinate off! I may be a girl physically, but my taste in music REEKS OF FUCKING MASCULINITY. Thrash = for people who would like to listen to some death metal, but are scared away by the sheer brutality and general kickass-ness.
:headbang:

JayKeeley said:
No, they aren't brutal in the Nile sense, but Hegg's vocals aren't exactly "friendly" sounding. But they are death metal no matter how you slice it. Melodic, yes, but still death metal.

So are you saying AA are the Children of Bodom of death metal?

True. The only reason I asked that is because a lot of power metal fans like CoB, because of their gay sounding music, and are some how able to get past Laiho's black metal vocals. So since he said power metal fans like AA, I just assumed they might be considered the CoB of death metal.

Of course, a lot of power metallers rave about Opeth, so we'll just call them the death metal CoB.

Swordmaster is lame, and so is Suffocation (hey, I've only seen them live & never heard their albums also! they put on one of the most boring shows I've ever seen!)

J. said:
No, they aren't brutal in the Nile sense, but Hegg's vocals aren't exactly "friendly" sounding. But they are death metal no matter how you slice it. Melodic, yes, but still death metal.
Well, I highlighted "Versus the World" as the main comparison point since new AA is more accessible than old AA, but yeah, this is EXACTLY what I've been saying for a while now about vocals being the key differentiator 99% of the time. Ever heard any White Skull or Brainstorm? You barely have to even change the lyrics either on anything from White Skull's "Tales from the North". See example:

Will I step out from this dark world
And awake to life
And fight until the Valkyrs come
I've seen bleeding warriors falling down
I wish to be one of the chosen slain
Suddently the world turns grey
Death's like a cold embrace
Icy drop in my face
Suddently the war is out
They've fought it day by day
On the floor they have found
The Viking's body laying

etc.

Replace the vocals with death growls and I'll give thee death metal (or as much of a DM band as Amon Amarth anyway). Likewise, get a clean/thrashy vocalist on some newer AA tunes and it no longer remains in the DM category IMO....(you can't do that with Morbid Angel, Nile, Carcass, or even early AA).

I love AA, I'm just pointing out the obvious difference to say, Nile. And yet they both exist within the same sub-genre. Why? Vocal style.

With regards to Children of Bodom, I have no idea who listens to them. I'm assuming it's mallcore fans 'breaking' into real metal, because that Alexi Laho guy even has his own spread in Guitar World magazine now, next to Kirk Hammet and Zakk Wylde. I assume CoB act as a gateway to other forms of metal...?

Muwahahahaa......"Crush to Dust" is excellent. And you know it's got the breakdowns that I like....other one is good too. Giving them each a second listen now....