I agree with someone on the internet and I want you to shit on my face

Onder

Apr 10, 2006
Okay.

This is what I found somewhere on last.fm and at first I thought it would make me angry as fuck if I read that. Overviews like this are usually full of incorrect thoughts and I don't even know how I ended up on a page like that. However, I found myself agreeing on most of those statements. I know that a lot of people here wouldn't like it and that's exactly why I'm posting it - so their sweaty butts get uncomfortable and try to fight for Opeth and Meshuggah as always. This should entertain me for a while.

I don't care who wrote this, but it's nice imo.

Enjoy.

Dethklok: A cartoon that makes fun of metal's weaknesses, hilarious. This coupled with recycled riffs, dumbed down song structures and commercial, jingling melodies makes it the ultimate hipster band - especially since they’ve sold even more than Cannibal Corpse.

Ulver: A career out of being different - conformity disguised as non-conformity - electronic, neofolk, is there any genre they can’t play? Ulver imitate black metal bands by playing indie rock with their sugary melodies, electronica that sounds more rebellious than the other electronic and concept albums sounding like two indie with re-written lyrics. Belong in the indie section of your local store, image above music.

Cannibal Corpse: Lyrics of misogyny – “entrails ripped from a virgin’s...” and childish & offensive gore (no examples needed). Their studying of metal and classical training, taking the style of Suffocation and composition of Malevolent Creation, resulted in mindless songs with their ever trusted philosophy of "only death is real." Over 1 million records sold, purely a money-making gimmick.

Cradle of Filth: For rebels who want to be extreme, when really it’s just Iron Maiden with fast melodic death metal riffs using the pentatonic scale.

Opeth: Taking simple songs, spicing them up with watered down Rush riffs, and varying acoustic to distorted on the chorus has attracted many pseudo-intellectual fanboys. What is it progessing towards? No real musical development, no song structures building upon themes or face-melting chops.

Enslaved: A band who changed their style, but the only aspect progressive about their later Opeth influenced music is the augmented chords. The riffs use more than power chords, but are usually with one string (e.g. “Clouds”) and hooks and repeated them with a few breaks for interlude ambience. There are some jam parts, but with simple chord progressions, and straight forward song structures.

Necrophagist: Nothing but short blasts of melody repeatedly and abruptly before jumping to jumps to something unrelated. Riffs disguised as advancing guitar exercises and rhythm starring a jazz drummer covering NIN.

Cynic: Got rid of their jazz fushion, added harmonized vocals, and quit being death metal. Then Cynic revamped their reputation by mashing together jazz and metal cliches because their fans know nothing about music. Listening to genres like jazz – in essence degraded classical music – inspired them to disguise the complexity of their music. Look at the tabs - random pieces stuck together with excessive guitar licks.

Meshuggah: A jazz percussion approach to metal rhythm guitar - offbeats within offbeats, with no melody and - like Opeth - no song development. Linear song structures following the sub-division of beats to a riff, expanding in a circular fashion. For music ‘fans’ of technical metal, who want an artless band.

Baroness: Distortion and sluggish tempo with blatant stoner themes. 1970s music revived thanks to the record company’s marketing.

Boris: Only the true understand the music we play (indie rock as if it were black metal.) The hipster fans can't tell the difference because they don’t realize music is beyond guitar playing and theory, it’s soul.

In Flames: Their old style is watered-down Dissection laced with Iron Maiden harmonies, getting away with it by appearing fresh.

Pantera: Latter albums in their discography are a tough-guy version of Metallica, before dipping into death metal and blues rock, resulting in a mishmash of completely random influences. Despite Dimebag ‘guitar genius’ Darrell, Pantera are an introduction to basic rock guitar.

Wolves in the Throne Room: Tree-huggers with moral opinions that church goers and Democratic fund raiser would agree with. Just like Ulver it’s Indie disguised as Black Metal and wailing / droning in the background.

Sunn o))): Overconfident of knowledge but poorly informed concept art.” (i.e. thinking up an unusual idea, and making it in musical form.) So when O'Malley plays a guitar really slowly for ten minutes and it never develops into a song then the fans pretend to enjoy it. Throw in an orchestra show up and make a 2 note riff and call it concept art.

Katatonia: Made some of the best Doom Metal, decided to cash in with Agolloch and Amorpis by mellowing out their sound and then decided subsisting Cs for Ks was pretty Nu-Metal. The chugging downtuned riffs with Jonas' clean vocal patterns and the effects makes The Great Cold Distance sound like an Untouchables rip off without the eerie atmosphere and superior song structures. Playing False Metal is fine, just don't rip off great Korn albums.

I agreed with the general idea of his first few paragraphs (which you omitted), but I completely lost his point when he decided to ramble about the various above.

EDIT: To elaborate, I thought his point was that a lot of metalheads create arbitrary borderlines on what is tr00 and what is untr00 based on image or relatively non-specific musical traits, see: "False Metal generally doesn't have a flow of riffs and instead a simple drop d tuning riff - despite Black Sabbath using low E power-chords." It's like the Exodus/Overkill fan that shits on Pantera for being "tuffguy" metal. Or the guy that LOVES Transylvanian Hunger and says "Repeating one or two riffs over and over is not metal, ergo Meshuggah is not metal". I was under the impression that he was being sarcastic in his descriptions of those bands, as most certainly aren't ones that your typical tr00 metalhead would fawn over, but if not he seems to contradict himself.

obvious ANUS fag said:
Cradle of Filth: For rebels who want to be extreme, when really it’s just Iron Maiden with fast melodic death metal riffs using the pentatonic scale.

I guarantee this shit was written by some ANUS fag. Those types have a habit of employing musical terminology that they clearly don't understand. You don't get melodic death metal riffs out of pentatonic scales.

He is kinda right about this, but then again I still love the music. I guess if you can't see the flaws (however rhetoric they may be) in the things you love, you can't really love them that much...

On the other hand f*ck this guy, what a lipslapping thunderc*nt :D

I just wonder if this pretentious motherfucker likes ANY music. Over-analying EVERYTHING like he does makes him a douchebag. Sometimes music is just fucking music - you enjoy it or you don't. Shut the fuck up with your fucking know-it-all bullshit.

I just wonder if this pretentious motherfucker likes ANY music.

I don‘t listen to any of these bands and I still like shit-ton of music. Those aren‘t the only bands in the world. Anyways, I‘m not here to defend it (I would write it differently and I couldn‘t really judge some of these bands as I‘ve heard only like half of their song), I just posted it here for the controversy. Of course people get angry because there are some of the most popular bands on the list.

Maybe it‘s just a coincidence that I dislike all of those bands and agree with almost everything he wrote. Maybe we could come up with two critical sentences like this about every band in the world and I would then get angry because there was shit about music I like.

Wolves in the Throne Room: Tree-huggers with moral opinions that church goers and Democratic fund raiser would agree with. Just like Ulver it’s Indie disguised as Black Metal and wailing / droning in the background.

Or basically:

Some environmental-concious dudes from Cascadia really like Burzum and want to make music, but because it's not about Satan, the Occult or Vikings, this shit is done by hipsters even though WITTR have been around since 2004. I'm also really butthurt by it.

Alternate version if written by someone from @NUS:

Some environmental-concious dudes from Cascadia really like Burzum and want to make music, but because it's not about Satan, the Occult or Vikings, OR SOUNDS LIKE GRAVELAND, this shit is done by hipsters even though WITTR have been around since 2004. I'm also really butthurt by it.

Yeah.

WITTR proves a nice thing about music. Even if it‘s labeled as blackmetal (while elitists and anusians say that it breaks the rules of blackmetal) , they appeal to insane amout of hipster fags that don‘t listen to other bands (except maybe Burzum - Filosofem). I remember when they were here doing a show in Prague, there was an event on last.fm, which had like milion attendees. I find it amazing that those last.fm-enthusiasts (and other hipsters) all meet at this show. I thought it was a totally unknown band tbh.

Of course the thing the guy wrote about them is stupid, as it doesn't really mean anything bad per se. I mean, I‘m probably a treehugger too and opinions objectively don‘t really matter. But that‘s obvious.

I like WITTR. I admire what they stand for and from what I've heard from them from interviews, they are sincere about their beliefs and actively try and live in accordance with their views. Aaron Weaver even stated that touring across North America and Europe really contradicts their philsophy and he thinks they will definitely stop doing tours outside of the Pacific Northwest by the end of this year.

They have their detractors, but I definitely enjoy them. I also stopped caring about what @NUS trogolodytes say about bands. Not everything that 'hipsters' like is inherently poor or mediocre.

I like WITTR. I admire what they stand for and from what I've heard from them from interviews, they are sincere about their beliefs and actively try and live in accordance with their views. Aaron Weaver even stated that touring across North America and Europe really contradicts their philsophy and he thinks they will definitely stop doing tours outside of the Pacific Northwest by the end of this year.

They have their detractors, but I definitely enjoy them. I also stopped caring about what @NUS trogolodytes say about bands. Not everything that 'hipsters' like is inherently poor or mediocre.

I‘m not saying it is! Definitely not. Hipsters‘ ability to gather so fast is a plague though.

The part about Opeth sounding like watered down Rush was annoying. I agree with some very small points here and there but overall I would say this person has their head shoved up their ass way too far. Nothing about their opinion is even remotely original, "I hate popular bands" Any elitist kvlt kiddie could have formulated this, and doesn't really offer an form of intelligent criticism (no matter how badly they wish they were). Basically it's just somebody with an extremely limited knowledge of music theory trying to sound like a smarty pants. I.E a young and angry kid with internet access and an Itunes gift card who spends too much time reading the comments on youtube and RYM.