A Truly TRULY Unbelievable Night In Irvine...thank you...THANK YOU!!!! *SPOILER*

Khan71

Aug 5, 2006
You'll have to forgive, if this review is a little bit disjointed, as I still am sitting here, without a clue in my head about what I am going to say. Tonight I experienced some of the most amazing examples of selflessness, generosity, and friendship that I have EVER experienced....oh...and there was an Iron Maiden concert as well.

As I sit here typing, there is a Dave FUCKING Murray sweat band on my left wrist (FINALLY AFTER ALL THESE YEARS!!!!), and the story of how it got there, is truly inspiring. If you have the slightest patience at all, and want to have your faith in human beings re-sparked...then you will want to read through this entire post.

On to the show. We drove up with my brother and my buddy Cory. We got to the pre-show restaurant and began meeting shitloads of people. I don't think it's fair to name names, because I'll forget some, and that's not fair. You all know if you were there, and it was a pleasure to meet you all....thank you! ALF (from the official forum) brought my hand-made custom Wasted Years space Eddie wallet, and it looks fantastic....seriously...I'm in awe...and I love it. We stayed there until about 4:30 and left to get in line, since my brother and I were in the pit (sorry Cory).

I was a little dissapointed when we got there, as there were maybe 200-300 people in line in front of us....and the walk to get to the venue, is over a quarter mile. I'm a big fat guy, and I don't run...well...not more than a couple hundred feet, and that's a sight to see! Still, I held out hope of being maybe within a few people of the rail. My brother stopped for a shirt and some food, and I kept on to the venue. I was FLOORED when I got there, and there were a few spots open on the right side of the rail...and EVERYTHING was WIDE open from the center of the rail, to the left edge of the rail. I was in HEAVEN, and I had planned to plant myself right in front of Davey! I walked by some friends on the rail, and high-fived them all to chants of "Khhhaaaaaaannn!!!"....thank you friends...LOL! I then took my place ON THE FUCKING RAIL, right in front of where Dave would stand. Funny enough...TP (from the official forum) came along with his nephew 5 minutes later, and they took their spots....TP on my right, and his nephew on my left. My brother hung out with us there till the show started, and then drifted back a little, which is where he prefers to stand.

We had a lot of nice conversations with two very cool security guards...talking about the shows we've seen, and how this is my last chance to catch a wrist band from someone in the band....hopefully from Dave! I talked with TP and his Nephew about almost being able to afford to see Earls Court in December.

Lights go down....Three Inches Of Blood come on, and really DO put on a very good show. I was really impressed...and they paid high respects to Maiden, and so earned high respect from me.

Maiden went on a little late, cause traffic was really heavy. Ok stop here for a second...like TP said to me...what other band would do that? They get fined for delaying a show....thousands of dollars...but they did it anyway, so fans could get there on time!

From the time Maiden hit the stage, it was almost like deja-vu from Hartford, being on the rail at that show, too...except I had 16,000 fans behind me, at it made a huge difference! Also, the band was SOOOOO tight tonight. There was ONE mistake I think at the very end of BTATS...but the band is CLEARLY more comfortable with the new material now, and are firing on ALL CYLINDERS. It was TRULY a special performance.

Here's where I start getting goosebumps, sharing this with you all...and I hope that it touches you a fraction of how it touched me (ok...not THERE...you pervert!). Anyway...the first pick Dave throws out, lands behind the barrier. The security guard picks it up, and puts it in my hand....fucking class! Later on....another one falls behind the barrier....and the other cool security guard does the exact same thing...and I just can't believe it.

You'll notice I'm ignoring specifics about songs and such...you know the setlist...and it's Iron Fucking Maiden...and it was all incredible. So...anyway...the pit was on FIRE tonight...in fact a little too much, and I actually found myself having to get a little....ummm...aggressive with some asshole trying to use my shoulders and neck as launching pad. All it took was a pissed off look from a 330 pound bald guy with a goatie, and the comment "Dude...do NOT put your hand on my neck again!"...and that was it for him...LOL!

So the regular set ends without a hitch, and they take their bows....not much is thrown out, except drumsticks (which I missed again by a narrow margin....tis ok though!). The band comes out and plays a friggin stellar and energetic as hell, encore. They begin to thank the crowd and take their bows....and...start throwing the things that I never fucking catch...LOL.

I had a few near misses, but nothing really worked out...and I was dissapointed but still awed by the show I just saw! I thought about it, and realised I now had three identical Dave Murray guitar picks. I just need one...seriously...you know? I asked TP if his nephew had a Murray pick, and he said no. I happily handed him one of my Dave Murray picks, saying that I didn't think he had one, and he should get one. He thanks me and all that, and he says....and I'll never forget this....

"Here...let me do you one better. You deserve this...the kind of fan that you are man"...puts something in my hand, and I look to see what it is, and it's TWO one-hundred dollar bills! That happens to be pretty much exactly how short I was from affording plane tickets to see Earl's Court on the last show of the tour. He says to take it and go see them in London...and that I deserve it. I just....I can't tell you what that meant to me. I'm sort of welling up right now, just typing it. I tried to say no, and to give it back...he refused...and all I could do was give him a big (manly...*cough*) hug...and thank him profusely. I still don't know how to process this. I don't know what else to say...and I'm not sure it's ok to use his real name on here...so I'll just say again...you are a selfless, class act, outstanding human being, TP's nephew....thank you, from the very VERY bottom of my heart.

GUYS....GALS.....SEE YOU IN FUCKING EARL'S COURT!!!!! NOW....I just need to find a decent ticket for close to face value....but I'm trusting...this WILL happen. I can't fucking believe it.

If you're still reading this, you're probably screaming at me by now..."What about the fucking Dave Murray Wristband?!?!".

Ok....so one of the absolutely coolest security guards gets a hold of one of Davey's wristbands...and unbenowsnt to me, lays it RIGHT ON MY ARM...and I WASN'T fucking looking. I NEVER saw it, and it got snatched away. The security guard is telling me about this, as the lights come up, and I just can't believe my bad luck. He swears that the guy standing right to my left, took it from me. Well, this person is TP's nephew, and I think after what I just told you, we can all agree that he's not the kind of person to do something like that. So....TP and I and his nephew say our goodbyes....and I start to walk towards the exit with my brother. My brother reaches down to the ground, says "Oh hey...look what I just found", and hands me a fucking Dave Murray wrist band! I think I was actually speechless, for maybe the second time in my entire life. I looked at him with this "What the fuck just happened" look in my eyes, and he told me that TP's nephew DID take the wristband off my arm, but it was to make sure no one else stole it. He then slipped it to my brother to give to me, after he left.

Are you beginning to see now, the deep DEEP impact this night has had on me? I'm still here....shaking my head...people aren't like this man....people are selfish...people are dick's a lot of the time...people think of themselves, and I certainly rarely experience a human being such as TP's nephew. I can't put into words....I mean....you know? It actually breaks me up a little...and I'm enough of a man to admit that...LOL! Thankfully, TP's nephew didn't get far enough away, before my brother gave me the wristband...so I got a chance to go back and somehow thank him AGAIN...for....for...being an outstanding human being. He's inspiring...and it's humbled me...beyond comprehension.

I also got to tell the security guard about the wristband, and thank him and his friend, the other security guard, for being such great guys and taking care of me.

Of course...my second Dave Murray pick left the venue in my brother's pocket, so now we each are proud owners of a Dave FUCKING Murray guitar pick!

On the way out, I saw three of the Ladies from The Iron Maidens, and so I stopped briefly to say hello and remind them how great they are, and that I'll see them the next time they're in San Diego.

I also saw one of the singers from 3 Inches Of Blood, and he seemed down to earth and very genuine. I told him they played a great show...and shook his hand to thank him.

Ok....wrapping up....

THANK YOU....Iron Maiden....for...everything....the album...the show...the energy...fucking outstanding unforgettable performance.

THANK YOU...Bikelfys for setting up the pre-show, and also to everyone there for a very nice time!

THANK YOU...ALF for using your outstanding talent to make me the coolest wallet EVER.....worth every penny, my friend!

THANK YOU... to the security guards.... Coolest. Guards. Ever. ...seriously, they were amazing!

THANK YOU... TP's Nephew....you know why...you've read my novel...LOL.

THANK YOU... Forum members who've made it this far into my novel of a post...and have thus allowed me to share with you, one of the (if not THE) greatest nights in my life.

Goodnight my friends.....and God bless every one of you!!!!

UP THE FUCKING IRONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Metallicat180 said:
What an awesome story that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: One of my friends has some spare tickets for Earls Court, would you like me to give you her contact details? I think they're pit tickets cos she offered me one but I can't afford to go so I can see if she still has any left for you?

Yes yes YES PLEASE....I definitely need to try and get standing tickets for Earls Court for the 22nd and 23rd...and I'm praying to pay close to face value, since money is pretty tight.

What a great story Khan! See, good things do come to those who deserve them after all! :headbang: Killer new memories! Sara, Aja, Mark and I were lucky too and were fortunate to get backstage after the show and chatted briefly with Steve, Adrian, Dave and Janick. Bruce and Nicko bolted outta there pretty quick. They were heading out to Japan today. We'll have new pics posted on the site in the coming week. :kickass: (thanks Red Shirt for the great seats!!! We had a blast sitting - I mean standing LOL- with you and your galpal!)

Doodoobubbachuck said:
What a great story Khan! See, good things do come to those who deserve them after all! :headbang: Killer new memories! Sara, Aja, Mark and I were lucky too and were fortunate to get backstage after the show and chatted briefly with Steve, Adrian, Dave and Janick. Bruce and Nicko bolted outta there pretty quick. They were heading out to Japan today. We'll have new pics posted on the site in the coming week. :kickass: (thanks Red Shirt for the great seats!!! We had a blast sitting - I mean standing LOL- with you and your galpal!)

Great story!
Please tell us how the chat went with the boys?

It was a wonderful show. They sounded tight and just happy to show how happy they are with the new record. I had a brilliant time.

Great story, Khan. Things are just meant to happen and I'm so glad for you. Have fun at Earl's Court :)

Doodoobubbachuck said:

Yeah, we scored passes at the last minute and I would have gone back too but couldn't since I had carpooled with some forum friends (I drove) and there weren't enough passes for everyone. Still had loads of fun though. It was really cool hanging out with everyone ~ some people drove a really long way ..lots of folks from AZ and UT. Our friend Neil followed Maiden to Japan and will be taking in their show there. We also have a friend in AZ who will be flying to Italy to see their show.

Khan71 said:
...We had a lot of nice conversations with two very cool security guards...talking about the shows we've seen, and how this is my last chance to catch a wrist band from someone in the band....
...the first pick Dave throws out, lands behind the barrier. The security guard picks it up, and puts it in my hand....fucking class! Later on....another one falls behind the barrier....and the other cool security guard does the exact same thing...and I just can't believe it.
....so one of the absolutely coolest security guards gets a hold of one of Davey's wristbands...and unbenowsnt to me, lays it RIGHT ON MY ARM...

Dude, I can relate! On the Somewhere In Time tour, the same exact thing happened to me, it was even at Irvine Meadows! This is pre-Janick era where Steve Harris and Adrian Smith would normally stand on the right side of the stage (facing the stage). I was in the pit on the rail, right where Steve and Adrian stood. Before the show started, I was talking with the security guy. He was really cool and was interested in seeing this Eddie thing he had heard about. I told him I would let him know when Eddie comes out so he could turn around and take a look (and I did). Anyhow, during the show, things thrown into the audience by the band didn't always make it to the fans. Some feel near the security guy. He'd reach down, grab them and hand them to me. Total surprise! Oh man was I so stoked! I walked away with an Adrian wristband and an Adrian "Somewhere On Tour" guitar pic. I truely share your cloud 9 experience! That's so awesome! Congrats!!!

Doodoobubbachuck said:

Most welcome! It was huge fun to hang with ya! That young guy sittin next to us was a crack up too, it was even more funny when he knew of your band but didn't know who you were until I mentioned it! Thanks sooo much for helpin out on getting us all in. That was a very scary moment that we might not all get in. (I know there were a LOT of people in the parking lot looking for tickets to get in, but nobody had any extras). Thanks so much! High fiver on making it to backstage...Sa-Weet!

Red Shirt said:
Most welcome! It was huge fun to hang with ya! That young guy sittin next to us was a crack up too, it was even more funny when he knew of your band but didn't know who you were until I mentioned it! Thanks sooo much for helpin out on getting us all in. That was a very scary moment that we might not all get in. (I know there were a LOT of people in the parking lot looking for tickets to get in, but nobody had any extras). Thanks so much! High fiver on making it to backstage...Sa-Weet!

That guy really is 19 years old just like we guessed! He found me on myspace and is now my friend. :) He is determined to get into the McMurphys show coming up regardless of his age! :cool:

Yes, everything seemed to be so positive that night. Glad everything seemed to go well for everyone there!

Doodoobubbachuck said:
That guy really is 19 years old just like we guessed! He found me on myspace and is now my friend. :) He is determined to get into the McMurphys show coming up regardless of his age! :cool:

Yes, everything seemed to be so positive that night. Glad everything seemed to go well for everyone there!

I gave him your flyer. See, those do work.

That place always checks ID, so unless he has a fake ID or knows of some back door entrance, it's not looking good. But, I hope he gets in!

OK... I'm seriously annoyed.

I just spent 5 whole minutes of my life defending Maiden's choice of set list. Apparently, most American fans seem to think Iron Maiden is a nostalgia act AND they must play a classics-heavy set. Well, I have news for you, pal... Maiden is NOT a nostalgia act. They are not here to help you relive your best days. They have a great record and are proud of it. If you want to see all classics, go see the Maidens.

rant off...

I don't have the eloquence of Keith Olbermann, but I felt a small commentary was needed :D

yes it was awsome, the best part for me was when Janick took nicko's stick that i caught and played on his guitar with it during 2 minutes !! :headbang:

ONE HELL OF A AWSOME SHOW

Keyser Soze said:
OK... I'm seriously annoyed.

I just spent 5 whole minutes of my life defending Maiden's choice of set list. Apparently, most American fans seem to think Iron Maiden is a nostalgia act AND they must play a classics-heavy set. Well, I have news for you, pal... Maiden is NOT a nostalgia act. They are not here to help you relive your best days. They have a great record and are proud of it. If you want to see all classics, go see the Maidens.

rant off...

I don't have the eloquence of Keith Olbermann, but I felt a small commentary was needed :D

You tell 'em Keyser! We should all feel lucky that Iron Maiden chose to come to SoCal, I'm so glad they like to play here. If your a true Iron Maiden fan, any song they play is great. I was just tripping out on the fallen parachutist that was hanging to the left of the stage, I actually didn't see the prop till when about 2 Minutes played. It would have been cool to see the Dance of Death play in its entirety when they toured for the album. I liked that concert. Let's hope they come back again sooner than later! :headbang:

Khan71 said:
UP THE FUCKING IRONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

:headbang: :kickass: :headbang: :kickass: :headbang: :kickass: :headbang: :kickass: :headbang: :loco: :kickass: :headbang: :kickass: ventured to the lawn for awhile - it was packed! hehehhe walked quickly past the back fence where like 10 guys were peeing together lol cuz the mens room was packed as well. :oops: